PDA

View Full Version : Long day on the Rust Safari , er hunt.

steven c newman
04-29-2018, 11:55 AM
T-was a long day, yesterday. Finally got TO an Estate Auction....old farm lane half way up the hill to the site...parking spot! Along with a couple dozen others cars/trucks...then walked UP the hill to get signed in...#398..and there were quite a few behind me, also signing in. You almost needed a pair of steel toed boots, AND a flak jacket, to protect yourself. Two Auctioneers going at the same time, with maybe a 100 standing around each. Found a spot I liked, and then had to "stand me ground" until the "talker" got there. Oh yeah..20 knot "breeze" and barely into the 40s...

Turned turn a pair of mitre boxes...too many parts missing. There was a "bundle" of handsaws laying in the wet grass....11-12 of them....decided to take a chance..time came, and then a "bidding war" over the bundle of saws....won it for a 20 dollar bid. Sorted through the treasures,AFTER the mob had moved on....didn't NEED 2 pruning saws, nor the 4 Butcher's saws....had them thrown back into the auction. Which left 5 full sized saws, a toolbox saw (new in box!) and a very small, metal framed saw...
That screwdriver and the drill came later in the day...took the wrapper of the "DeVille" saw
Put the wrapper back on, and set it in the toolbox...which left 5 saws to process..
Craftsman.....might be a D-23 type?
No idea. Steel bolts, warranted superior, doesn't look to have been used much..
WS, might be a D-7 clone?
Disston D-8, 10ppi, 26" long.
Atkins No. 59, late model, 8ppi, 26" long.

The drill has a 1/8" brad point bit in it. Screwdriver does have a logo on the blade. Spent $6 for the pair at a Antique store. 6 yard sales? Nada...6 Antique Stores? Only one had something I wanted to buy. Even did Lunch. As for that D-8?
Cleaned it up last night. Does NOT need sharpened. Top bolt is steel, and rusted solid. Will leave it alone, rest are brass. Heel is sitting in a kerf the saw made..with 6 strokes. 10 ppi, 26" long. Not a kink nor bend in the plate, no pitting found. handle is solid, and crack free. May start on the next saw, later..
All but one of the saws were free of pitting, plates were arrow straight, teeth are very sharp. Might have been worth the battle to get them...

lowell holmes
04-29-2018, 2:25 PM
I had an egg beater drill before Harvey came through, I haven't seen it since. I will look for it. There is still a lot of stuff in tubs.

Mike Baker 2
04-30-2018, 8:16 AM
That D-8 turned out great! Best of luck with the rest. I like that Atkins. I saw a rip saw, no brand, at the flea market this weekend. Guy had 5 saws at his table, that was all. As soon as i started looking at them he says, "you gonna buy that?" LOL. I took a look at them, they were in various state of wear, but only one had any branding I could find. That one had a medallion, but I did not recognize it. He had a 5 or 6 ppi rip, but something threw me off of him.
I took a magnifyer out and looked at the medallion. He said, "What you doin?". I said looking for the maker. He said, "You gonna buy that?" I said, "No". He said, "Why ain'tcha gonna buy that?" He just looked too eager, and if he paid the fee for the booth to sell five rusty saws, I did not want to know what he wanted for them, so i moved on, LOL.

Jim Koepke
04-30-2018, 2:48 PM
That D-8 turned out great! Best of luck with the rest. I like that Atkins. I saw a rip saw, no brand, at the flea market this weekend. Guy had 5 saws at his table, that was all. As soon as i started looking at them he says, "you gonna buy that?" LOL. I took a look at them, they were in various state of wear, but only one had any branding I could find. That one had a medallion, but I did not recognize it. He had a 5 or 6 ppi rip, but something threw me off of him.
I took a magnifyer out and looked at the medallion. He said, "What you doin?". I said looking for the maker. He said, "You gonna buy that?" I said, "No". He said, "Why ain'tcha gonna buy that?" He just looked too eager, and if he paid the fee for the booth to sell five rusty saws, I did not want to know what he wanted for them, so i moved on, LOL.

That sounds like a very rude dude.

My reply is usually, "depends on the price." or "only if it is 50 cents or less."

jtk

steven c newman
04-30-2018, 7:56 PM
Standing around, windy and barely into the 40s...then have someone step ON those saws as they pushed right on through...grrrr

There was a couple mitre boxes sitting next to the saws....all-steel was missing way too many parts, the other was a wooden one.....passed....neither even had a saw to use.

Farm flatbed trailer...20 circular saw? one grinder..15 electric drills....the fellow never threw a thing away. Ever. Lost track of chainsaws...after 50....plus a trailer filled with parts for those saws..

I did turn my nose up at the one handplane shaped object...steel frog and all. There was a beat-up coffin smoother....bundled into a box of junk....passed.

steven c newman
04-30-2018, 10:02 PM
OK, Mystery Machine Time:
Mystery #1:
Has an oval logo...."Cast Steel" across the top edge of the logo. Maybe a DR Barton? Not sure.
Ok: Still on screwdrivers...these two have "Bridgeport USA" and a few other words stamped on the shaft....both are No. 1 Phillips tips. Ring a bell?

Ok, #2 brings a saw..
26" long. Skew back, 10ppi. Handle IS ORIGINAL to the saw.
Three steel bolts, Medallion has a Large eagle, and is a Warranted Superior
Teeth were still sharp..
Test cut is glass smooth. Missing bit out at the toe....no biggie. Plate is stamped as a "10". Traces of an etch, and some writing....unable to make it out..too many pits.
Ant clues as to who made this saw?

Bob Leistner
05-01-2018, 8:59 AM
http://alloy-artifacts.org/bridgeport-hardware-mfg.html Would this be the same company?