PDA

View Full Version : What thermostat?

Jim Andrew
04-29-2018, 9:23 AM
Setting up a hobby wood dryer, and want to be able to monitor the temperature, prefer one with a cable so I can check the temperature without opening up the door. Need to be able to go to 150 degrees, as I need to sterilize my boards.

Jason Roehl
04-30-2018, 6:29 AM
Here you go, but you would probably want the additional ambient temperature probe:

https://www.amazon.com/Weber-7203-iGrill-2-Thermometer/dp/B01MG2CNDL/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1525083960&sr=8-3&keywords=igrill

I haven't used it for drying wood, but I have used one extensively for smoking meat.

John K Jordan
04-30-2018, 7:08 AM
You said "thermostat" - do you want to simply monitor the temperature (thermometer) or regulate the temperature (thermostat) and if the latter, what are the electrical specs on the heater?

Regardless, as mentioned earlier, remember that for killing critters the inside of the largest piece of wood needs to reach the critical temperature. I'd drill a tiny hole to the center and seal a thermocouple probe inside. I bought an inexpensive dual-channel thermocouple reader from Amazon that came with probes. It seems perfect for that application, handy to have on hand too.

Setting up a hobby wood dryer, and want to be able to monitor the temperature, prefer one with a cable so I can check the temperature without opening up the door. Need to be able to go to 150 degrees, as I need to sterilize my boards.

Clint Bach
04-30-2018, 11:58 AM
You may be interested in the stc-1000 temperature controller. Cheap... Way less than $20. They are used bunches to convert crock pots to sous vide cookers. Perfect temperature range for a kiln. You may need a relay to handle your heater's current.

clint

Jim Andrew
05-01-2018, 9:14 PM
Should have wrote thermometer, but plan to use heat lamps to get the interior of the reefer up to temperature. If I go gradually, running dehumidifiers and fans, should be able to sterilize.

John K Jordan
05-01-2018, 11:13 PM
Should have wrote thermometer, but plan to use heat lamps to get the interior of the reefer up to temperature. If I go gradually, running dehumidifiers and fans, should be able to sterilize.

This is the thermocouple reader I got. Very accurate and dual channel so you can measure ambient with one and the inside of a board with the other. Comes with 5' wire probes but I bought extra immersion probes and 10 meters of extension wire and connectors for a reasonable cost. I've used it to monitor the temperature inside an oven and differential temperatures to test an air conditioning system.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001EUB6BM

Are you using this to kiln dry the lumber as well as kill the bugs? If so, be sure to follow the schedule for that species. (But I'll bet you have that covered!) I bought some beautiful and expensive kiln-dried quilted maple recently that was honeycombed inside and worthless from drying too hot and too fast.

JKJ

Kevin Beitz
05-02-2018, 7:17 AM
I would use some kind of temperature controller. Then you have control for your fans.