PDA

View Full Version : Best exterior paneling?

Jim Mackell
04-28-2018, 8:34 PM
We need to reside a building where the lower 3 feet is currently 1x6 pine T&G match board. We were planning on making replacements using PVC. It was suggested instead that we use sheets of PVC with applied PVC trim moldings that would match a different section of the current building.

I'm using the abbreviation PVC, but I'm wondering what specific material would best lend itself to this project. Low maintenance, waterproof, easy to work with and not prohibitively expensive.

Recommendations?

Marshall Harrison
04-28-2018, 9:23 PM
Hardie Board would have my vote for best exterior siding.

I have the planks but you can get it in sheets or as shingles too.

Larry Edgerton
04-28-2018, 10:02 PM
Hardie siding is failing at an alarming rate here. Bay Harbor project started failing at about ten years out. Would not use it on any of my projects at this time. Conditions are a bit heavy, its on Lake Michigan, but ten years is not acceptable.

Our climate is a lot similar to yours with a lot of freeze/thaw cycles, and the cement boards just cant take it.

I would use the T&G product over the sheet myself. Look at Versatex as well, I like it better than most.

Jim Mackell
04-29-2018, 11:31 AM
In our area we've seen similar issues with Hardie board. I don't have the knowledge or experience to know if it's material related or installation related.

We're specifically looking at using 4x8 sheets of 1/2 inch PVC trimmed down to 3x8 and applied horizontally to the exterior wall. There will be a 1x4 applied vertically every 4 feet and then some trim moldings for decoration. Does anyone have any experience with this type of application? It would save us time and money over the other approach.

Thanks!

Larry Edgerton
04-29-2018, 4:21 PM
If you do that fasten the sheets in the middle third with Cor-Tex screws and let the ends float behind the trim. I am more familiar with Versatex, was on their contractor advisory council for a while, and they make a T&G that matches the common wood profiles.

Steve Rozmiarek
04-29-2018, 7:01 PM
Hardie siding is failing at an alarming rate here.

How is LP holding up there? I've not used Versatex, it's mostly Royal products around here, is Versatex different?

Marshall Harrison
04-30-2018, 9:20 AM
Hardie siding is failing at an alarming rate here. Bay Harbor project started failing at about ten years out. Would not use it on any of my projects at this time. Conditions are a bit heavy, its on Lake Michigan, but ten years is not acceptable.

Our climate is a lot similar to yours with a lot of freeze/thaw cycles, and the cement boards just cant take it.

I would use the T&G product over the sheet myself. Look at Versatex as well, I like it better than most.

Only problem I have had is that squirrels like to sit on the privacy fence posts and sharpen their teeth on the Hardie planks. We go the pre-colored planks about 4 years ago and it is still looking brand new. But we don't get many freeze/thaw cycles here.

I've seen some installations where the installers used silicone caulk between each butt joint but according to my installer that isn't recommended and will invalidate the warranty. He said lots of times painters will come along and caulk everything because that is what painters do. It just messes everything up.

Jim Becker
04-30-2018, 9:43 AM
One thing to understand about using PVC and PVC-like material...the expansion/contraction rates on some products can be substantial. We've had that issue with some Azek board that was used on certain trim areas of our home when we put our addition on back in 2008. My general contractor has since switched to a different product that while still having expansion/contraction, does so at a much lower rate than the original product. Be sure to discuss this with your supplier so that you select the material that will best serve your needs and cause the least issues over time.

Larry Edgerton
05-01-2018, 8:13 AM
How is LP holding up there? I've not used Versatex, it's mostly Royal products around here, is Versatex different?

Royal is a good product. The only difference is the way the products are finished. They all have basically the same ingredients. mixed with baking soda as a catalyst, spread out and then run through a series of rollers as the curing process takes place. Versatex, and I suspect Royal as well slow this process down and add more rollers. The rollers keep pushing the product back to size as the foaming agent is trying to push it apart. Think bread dough. By slowing it down and adding more rollers the consistency of the product is better, not only in thickness but the grain in the middle is finer, important when milling to make traditional parts for restorations.

The rollers are a tribute to machinists, absolutely perfect. If it gets wood grain[Hate Woodgrain!]it is the last roller, but can be pulled up for smooth. There are hot knives that slice it while hot and still in a malleable state that gives it that finished edge.

John Pace, the owner at Versatex told me he will not speed up the process as demand increases, he will add more extruders. So far he has been a man of his word, the product is still better than Azek. He is also going to try to stay out of the Walmart trap of having chains demand lower prices that can only be accomplished by compromising quality. So far I have not seen it in chains around here.

Hint Steve, when you are machining, spray yourself and your cloths with Static Guard, and you can polish your glasses with it as well. Will keep it from sticking so bad and you can see out of your glasses. I do the glasses thing with wood as well. Lasts for about four days.

Larry Edgerton
05-01-2018, 8:18 AM
One thing to understand about using PVC and PVC-like material...the expansion/contraction rates on some products can be substantial. We've had that issue with some Azek board that was used on certain trim areas of our home when we put our addition on back in 2008. My general contractor has since switched to a different product that while still having expansion/contraction, does so at a much lower rate than the original product. Be sure to discuss this with your supplier so that you select the material that will best serve your needs and cause the least issues over time.

There are tricks Jim, and most contractors use the product just like wood. You can not use it just like wood, its not wood. But with a little bit of thought about how the product is going to move and the temperature that you are putting it up in there need not be gaps as temp swings.

Larry Edgerton
05-01-2018, 8:20 AM
Oh, I forgot Steve, Not sure about LP. I have never put up a piece of cement board or vinyl, just wood. Kinda proud of that actually.:D

Jim Becker
05-01-2018, 11:51 AM
There are tricks Jim, and most contractors use the product just like wood. You can not use it just like wood, its not wood. But with a little bit of thought about how the product is going to move and the temperature that you are putting it up in there need not be gaps as temp swings.
I was only suggesting that some products have less expansion than others and that can factor in. :)