PDA

View Full Version : Jointer fence handle help

Zach Dickason
04-28-2018, 7:05 PM
I have a 50’s Craftsman 6” jointer I’m restoring. It came complete except for the fence lock handle. The previous owner used a couple washers and a screw. I know what the original handles look like but can someone show me how they attached. If anyone has one lying around I’ll buy it as well. I have pictures but I can’t seem to get them to attach

Edit: never mind, the pictures worked

Rick Potter
04-29-2018, 3:26 PM
I would guess it used a Kip (sp?) lever.

Zach Dickason
04-30-2018, 7:05 AM
I think you’re right. I’ll be ordering one, thanks.

Charles Lent
04-30-2018, 8:02 AM
Many of the old joiners that were based on Delta joiners had a long hex head bolt with no threads on the upper half under the head and a nut on the threaded end. The handle was a double ended deep socket the same shape inside at both ends and with a lever handle attached to the side. The wrench fit both the nut and the hex head and could be slid in or out to engage one or the other. Tightening the bolt head locked the horizontal position of the fence and tightening the nut locked the fence tilt position. I have a Woodtek that uses this design and I'll try to get and post a few photos later today when I get to the shop.

Charley

Rick Potter
04-30-2018, 2:25 PM
Zach,

You can probably google the model number and find the manual on line with part numbers.

Charles Lent
05-04-2018, 5:34 PM
Zach,

Sorry for the delay. This turned out to be more involved than I remembered, but it's been about 30 years since I've had this part of my jointer apart.

I have fully disassembled my jointer fence assembly and I now have 8 photos plus a very rough drawing of all of the pieces. Since this is so large, how about sending me a PM with your email address, and I'll send the photos and diagram direct to you.

The first photo is attached, so you can see what it looks like. I'll send all and the parts drawing direct to you.

Charley