PDA

View Full Version : building shed

Brandon Speaks
04-28-2018, 12:57 PM
I am exploring the option of combining my basement and garage shop into one garage shop. I have come to the conclusion that I can do it if I can get the riding mower and some other stuff out of the garage, some stuff can move to the basement but the mower would need alternative outside storage. I can build an accessory structure with no permit if it is 120 square feet or less.

I am looking for an inexpensive option, I have a convenient location where I could do 8x12 or 8x14 with little leveling.

Ideas that came to mind are lean too type construction with a cattle gate as some mild theft deterent of the mower but wanted to see if anyone had any other ideas. Main overall purpose is some level of protection from the elements and some level of theft deterrent.

Jim Becker
04-28-2018, 2:07 PM
Before you stick build your own, compare the cost and effort for that with either a kit from the 'borg for a wooden shed or buying one already built and delivered on skids. At my previous residence, I used one of the kits and it provided a very nice solution for lawn and garden storage. I'd honestly consider that again if I needed similar...it's kinda half-way to the "easy button" and takes a lot less time than stick building it. And time is important to me.

John K Jordan
04-28-2018, 2:13 PM
Much depends on your budget. I've built a number of small and larger buildings. I'm currently making (slow) progress on a new peacock house, 12x24', concrete floor, 4x4 posts, metal roof, sided with cedar I cut with the sawmill. I didn't keep up with the costs but the biggest expense was the concrete.

384877 384878

A lot quicker is one of the portable buildings you have hauled to your lot. I have a couple, the most recent is a 10x20 with wood floor, fairly cheap, this one was $1000 used, about $300 to haul about 35 miles. The floor is wood but strong enough for mowers and such. A neighbor keeps a big motorcycle in one. You can easily build one yourself for much cheaper - just look at one on the lot to see how it's made.

384881 384880

Also quick and cheap (but not pretty) are shipping containers and a semi trailer with the wheels cut off. I have one of each, the smaller 8x40x8' tall. Perfect for farm use. Both of mine are aluminum so they won't rust. I store hay in the smaller one.

384879 384882

An open lean-to is very quick and very cheap, especially if you have a wall of an existing structure you can fasten to. A large enough roof overhang keeps all but driving rain out or side with panels from the building supply or rough-sawn green oak or poplar from a local sawmill, board-and-batten if desired. Cattle panels from the farm store, made from 1/4" steel galvanized rod, are pretty strong and quick to put up and a 6' wide farm gate is enough to get mowers in and out. To make it on the cheap I'd probably put down gravel instead of concrete. 3/4" thick rubber stall mats (4'x6') from the farm store are about $40 each, over tamped gravel could make a nice floor. I've done that in three places.

JKJ

I am exploring the option of combining my basement and garage shop into one garage shop. I have come to the conclusion that I can do it if I can get the riding mower and some other stuff out of the garage, some stuff can move to the basement but the mower would need alternative outside storage. I can build an accessory structure with no permit if it is 120 square feet or less.

I am looking for an inexpensive option, I have a convenient location where I could do 8x12 or 8x14 with little leveling.

Ideas that came to mind are lean too type construction with a cattle gate as some mild theft deterent of the mower but wanted to see if anyone had any other ideas. Main overall purpose is some level of protection from the elements and some level of theft deterrent.

Bill Dufour
04-29-2018, 1:35 PM
When building a shed or barn spend a lot of time looking and planning how the door will be supported and how they will be locked closed.
Bill D.

Eric C Stoltzfus
04-30-2018, 8:10 AM
You can build a shed quite easily if you are at all handy with tools(assuming from the fact that you are on this forum that you are). It will not be quite as cheap as one from Lowes but it will quite probably be much better quality. My dad works in the shed building industry and I have built a shed start to finish. The only tools you need are a chopsaw, a circular saw, and a pneumatic nailer makes things quite fast.