PDA

View Full Version : Oldest Northern Catalpa Tree?

Matt Evans
04-28-2018, 12:03 PM
(Why is there no forum for "Cool Wood related stuff that doesn't quite fit into the other categories")

I was at a customers house in Evansville Indiana the other day, looked in the back and noticed a Large Catalpa tree.

The customer stated it was on the historic register as the oldest northern Catalpa tree in the world. Not sure if it is or not, but an impressive tree nonetheless.

Dave Anderson NH
04-28-2018, 1:02 PM
Hi Matt, Nice tree. As for another forum, just look at the number we have now. Your post could fit here or in the "Off Topic" forum. Moderating the number of forums we have now is a daunting task, adding another is one of the nightmares we moderators have.

Warren Mickley
04-28-2018, 2:52 PM
The largest northern catalpa on the National Tree register is in Evansville. Not necessarily the oldest. The circumference is 303 inches. Eight feet in diameter.

Lee Schierer
04-28-2018, 4:14 PM
I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but Yale has a Catalpa tree located on Prospect Street behind the Marsh Botanical Garden (https://naturewalk.yale.edu/trees/bignoniaceae/catalpa-bignonioides/catalpa-74) It is located near 41.322414 N 72.923372 W. Evansville, IN is located at 37.977214 N 87.544475 W a difference of ~230 miles.

Matt Evans
04-28-2018, 4:33 PM
The largest northern catalpa on the National Tree register is in Evansville. Not necessarily the oldest. The circumference is 303 inches. Eight feet in diameter.

Probably this one. Like I said, wasn't sure about oldest, but that's what I was told.

Hi Matt, Nice tree. As for another forum, just look at the number we have now. Your post could fit here or in the "Off Topic" forum. Moderating the number of forums we have now is a daunting task, adding another is one of the nightmares we moderators have.

Fair enough.

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but Yale has a Catalpa tree located on Prospect Street behind the Marsh Botanical Garden (https://naturewalk.yale.edu/trees/bignoniaceae/catalpa-bignonioides/catalpa-74) It is located near 41.322414 N 72.923372 W. Evansville, IN is located at 37.977214 N 87.544475 W a difference of ~230 miles.

Lee, That's a southern catalpa, and a small one at that. Only 18" diameter or so, and not particularly tall, although catalpas grow out more than up.

Wasn't saying this was the last catalpa. I see catalpa trees all the time. Just not quite this large. This is definitely the largest I've seen.

Bob Glenn
04-30-2018, 9:44 AM
About 40 miles north of Evansville is the oldest cypress east of the Mississippi. Located in southern Knox county near the confluence of the Wabash and White rivers. It is also said to be the oldest living thing east of the Mississippi.