PDA

View Full Version : For amateur eyes ONLY!!

Dale Thompson
11-16-2005, 10:23 PM
GOTCHA! I KNEW that some of you pros would sneak in to have a peek. :mad: You are NOT welcome! :p You are the folks who can stand in the neighbor's yard and remotely "eyeball" a complex 162.5 deg angle cut using 6" crown molding located in your own driveway. You then go home, make the cut, cope the inside miters, glue and brad-nail the pieces and everything fits perfectly for applying your incredible, secret finish. ;) For you folks, the term "wood filler" is NOT in your vocabulary. :) You are NOT welcome on this post!! :(

Some (maybe I'm the only one) of us need to "dry fit" our mistakes and shave a little here and a little there (in my case, it is usually shave a LOT here and a LOT there). :( With a bunch of 6" crown,obviously, it's far too expensive for me to start over.

How do I "dry fit" this kind of stuff? Duct Tape works on cabinet doors and some drawers. Double-stick Scotch tape doesn't work on anything. Double-stick "masking tape" is better but not great. My best results have come from a speck or two of hot-melt glue. With solid woods such as Oak or Maple, it's OK but does leave a slightly visible gap. It may throw off my typical plus or minus .000001" tolerance. ;). The hot-melt also pulls off the billionth of an inch of real wood that we now get on plywood. :( That may or may not be a problem.

Does anyone have any ideas on this subject or are you all perfect? ;) :)

Dale T.

Lee DeRaud
11-16-2005, 10:28 PM
A billion angstroms here, a billion angstroms there...pretty soon you're talking about real slop.:eek:

John Hart
11-16-2005, 10:31 PM
Sure Dale.....I don't know anything! I'd be happy to help!

Double Sided Foam Tape. It'll hold anything and it peels right off.

http://www.uline.com/Group_134.asp?pricode=wf659

Per Swenson
11-16-2005, 10:45 PM
Hi Dale,

Snowed in yet?

I heard the Yetis in your neck of the woods wear cheese head

hats as camo. Any way, try mitre clamps. I use the ones from

collins tool. www.collinstool.com (http://www.collinstool.com)

I do not know if you are crowning a yeti, a bookcase or a room.

But if you are working on the first two,(IE small) it pays to assemble

the crown first and then attach it to your piece. If you are doing a room

I will come and help as soon as my new float plane is delivered.

Per

Dale Thompson
11-16-2005, 10:50 PM
A billion angstroms here, a billion angstroms there...pretty soon you're talking about real slop.:eek:

Lee,
You must be one of those sneaky pros whom I banished from this post. :) Let's give the credit where it belongs. Was it Senator Everett Dirksen of Illinois whom you are paraphrasing? Anyway, I thought that we had hung all of the Angstroms up here in the northwoods. They kept stealing the twenty-seventh shell of the thirty-fourth orbit of the Uranium 235 atom! In cheesehead land, that is a capital crime! :)

Lee, if you want to see some REAL slop, you should see some of my "best" projects! :D

Dale T.

Dale Thompson
11-16-2005, 11:04 PM
Sure Dale.....I don't know anything! I'd be happy to help!

Double Sided Foam Tape. It'll hold anything and it peels right off.

http://www.uline.com/Group_134.asp?pricode=wf659
John,
I've been looking for a source for this stuff. My nearest trading post is three-score and nine snarling gnues away. The trip gets a bit "sticky" to say the least. ;) Obviously, no pun is intended. :)

By the way, John, you wouldn't lie about not knowing anything - would you? I'd hate to have to banish you from this post. :cool:

Dale T.

Lee DeRaud
11-16-2005, 11:14 PM
Anyway, I thought that we had hung all of the Angstroms up here in the northwoods. They kept stealing the twenty-seventh shell of the thirty-fourth orbit of the Uranium 235 atom! In cheesehead land, that is a capital crime!Must be a "metric thing".:p

Andrew Ault
11-16-2005, 11:19 PM
Dale,

I use carpet tape to stick a pattern to a piece of material I'm cutting with a pattern bit. It sticks real good but stick pulls off when I'm done.

Might work for you.

Andy

Dale Thompson
11-16-2005, 11:33 PM
Hi Dale,

Snowed in yet?

I heard the Yetis in your neck of the woods wear cheese head

hats as camo. Any way, try mitre clamps. I use the ones from

collins tool. www.collinstool.com (http://www.collinstool.com)

I do not know if you are crowning a yeti, a bookcase or a room.

But if you are working on the first two,(IE small) it pays to assemble

the crown first and then attach it to your piece. If you are doing a room

I will come and help as soon as my new float plane is delivered.

Per

Per,
Are you kidding? :confused: We are ALWAYS snowed in! On the 4th of July, the snow had melted enough that I got a glimpse of the "frozen tundra" from the second story of my cardboard abode. :)

Don't knock Yetis! :mad: We have one for a mayor. I think that he was elected by one write-in vote from an Illinois guy. :rolleyes: None of us folks up here are smart enough to make an "X" on those complicated allecsion balutz.

Thanks for the info. I'm doing a full fireplace mantle face system for my daughter and son-in-law down in Oak Creek, WI. Messing with those "fine" cuts can be trickey when doing it "on-site". In my case, I'm trying to do it from 180 miles away. :eek: EGADS! I can't do an accurate cut on 16" fireplace kindling when the pile is 20' from my house. :o

Dale T.

Vaughn McMillan
11-16-2005, 11:45 PM
EGADS! I can't do an accurate cut on 16" fireplace kindling when the pile is 20' from my house. :o

Dale T.
Well there's the problem right there, Dale. You just need a bigger axe for the crown molding. :D

- Vaughn

Karl Laustrup
11-17-2005, 5:20 AM
Pesh, have you given any thought to 6d or 8d nails and gorilla glue? ;)

Wait, perhaps several Yeti's could hold the molding whilst you hack away at it with a beaver from the river. :D :D

Other than that, I'm pretty much lost here. :eek:

Hope I've been of some help.

Karl

John Hart
11-17-2005, 7:33 AM
...By the way, John, you wouldn't lie about not knowing anything - would you? ...

Uh....I don't know! :rolleyes:

Jeff Sudmeier
11-17-2005, 8:26 AM
Dale,

You need a helper, one to hold the peices in place so you can dry fit them and keep on a shaving! :)

My process is to cut both of the sides of the crown and either tack them in place with brads or carpet tape. Then work on the front peice, one side at a time :)

Having 4 or even 6 hands is essential :)

Dave Richards
11-17-2005, 8:57 AM
Dale, epoxy mixed with wood flour makes a great gap filler. I should know. ;)

Dan Larson
11-17-2005, 9:16 AM
I'm doing a full fireplace mantle face system for my daughter and son-in-law down in Oak Creek, WI. Messing with those "fine" cuts can be trickey when doing it "on-site". In my case, I'm trying to do it from 180 miles away. :eek: EGADS! I can't do an accurate cut on 16" fireplace kindling when the pile is 20' from my house. :o
Dale, I know of a reasonably well equipped woodworking shop in Oak Creek.;) You're welcome to avail yourself of the sliding tablesaw to make the "fine" cuts if you'd like.

Dan