PDA

View Full Version : And John Thinks He Has All The Problems

Bill Stevener
11-16-2005, 10:10 PM
Hi Gang,
Thought things were a little slow this evening sooooooooo, I put this one up.
I call this thing a bowl:D only because it didn't crack, and it WILL hold soup. Must have been turning to fast and got it too hot.:eek: Left it chucked up over night, came out the next day, and didn't have the nerve to turn on the lathe.
But when I think about it, some folks strive to create something like this.
Do ya think it would bring anything at a craft show.:confused:

Be kind and thanks for looking:cool: .

Bill.>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>:)

Keith Burns
11-16-2005, 10:14 PM
Wow, howd he do dat ???????????:D

John Hart
11-16-2005, 10:17 PM
I had a piece of hickory to that to me Bill!! I just finished it and flattened its foot on the belt sander and gave it to my SIL. She loves it. I think you got yourself a nice gift there!!

John Miliunas
11-16-2005, 10:24 PM
Hey Bill, let it sit a few more days to be sure it doesn't crack. If it don't, finish it up and put it in your next craft show!:) :cool:

Bill Stevener
11-16-2005, 10:30 PM
I am afraid I would be charged an entrance fee :eek:.
Bill.........:)

Lee DeRaud
11-16-2005, 10:33 PM
Repeat after me: "It's not a bug, it's a feature."
Hey, it worked for Bill Gates, it might work for you.:rolleyes: :D

Chip Sutherland
11-16-2005, 10:51 PM
I like it. Definitely a conversation piece for a show. It's got a definite Salvador Dali-ish appeal. :D

Ernie Nyvall
11-16-2005, 10:51 PM
Yea Bill, finish it andtell people you made the bowl especially with pour spouts.:D

Ernie

David Fried
11-16-2005, 11:12 PM
I'm going with it's a drinking vessel. It certain appears to have been drinking. :eek: With the holidays coming maybe it's a traditional wassail cup?:rolleyes:

Andy Hoyt
11-17-2005, 1:38 AM
Should some turner-know-it-all-guy ever ask, just say you used your new turboencabulating eccentricated chuck from FUBAR Industries.

Kurt Aebi
11-17-2005, 6:59 AM
Bill,

I agree with the guys above, let it sit for a few more days and if it doesn't crack, finish it up and take it to the next craft sale. I think you'd be what a vendor of our's here always says "You'll Be Pleasantly Surprised!"

Blake McCully
11-17-2005, 2:27 PM
Cool piece. I agree with everyone else. You just may have something there.

Should some turner-know-it-all-guy ever ask, just say you used your new turboencabulating eccentricated chuck from FUBAR Industries.

I love it!!!:D

Mark Cothren
11-17-2005, 10:10 PM
That's a good one!

Is that by chance Mulberry?

Bill Stevener
11-19-2005, 11:43 AM
Hi again gang,
Thanks for the review. Just think, we soak our work in alcohol so it doesn't do this, maybe I should not have left it shackled to the lathe and let it go out to a party. The wood is Black Locust and by the time it decides to settle down, it will be like finishing a rock. For now it sits on the lathe bench serving as a spent sandpaper receptacle.
Locust is like that rabbit we see every day, still going and going and going.

Have a safe and fun day,
Bill.>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>:)

John Miliunas
11-19-2005, 11:58 AM
Wood is a funny animal! I did a weird looking bowl out of some pretty green Silver Maple, with quite a bit of spalting to it. Even a little punky in areas. Well, I finished it off most of the way, but was getting tired and left it sit on the lathe. Next evening, I came out to find it had two huge, long splits going down the sides, from the rim to about 1/3 of the way down. And not just splits but, at the rim, it was seperated no less than between 1/8th and a 1/4"!!!:( I mumbled a few choice words under my breathe, took it off the lathe and threw it up on one of my benches (out of sight...:D ). A few months later, I came across it and just about dropped my jaw! There it was, in all its glory...ONE solid piece!!!:eek: Huh???? So, I threw it back up on the lathe, took what little out of round it had back out and finished it with some friction polish. To this day, it's now sitting on my bench in plain view, holding odds 'n ends. I challenge anyone to look at this thing, run their hand around it and show me where the cracks were!!! I know that I sure as heck can't tell!!! Weird stuff!:) :cool:

Michael Stafford
11-19-2005, 12:00 PM
Looks like art to me. Finish that baby and jack up the price! Folks love the unusual and this is just a naturally warped piece of pretty wood. It will sell!:D

Mike Ramsey
11-21-2005, 3:54 PM
I think you should just flip it over & market it as custom headware.