PDA

View Full Version : Respirator mask and skinrashes

Cary Wheeler
04-27-2018, 7:48 PM
I wear two types of respirator masks. One is for finishes with high VOC's, the other for certain wood types that generate dust that is a possible health risk. Both have a dark grey rubber like material that surrounds or comes close to my nose. Anyways I have finally determined that these masks are causing the skin on my nose to blister, pimple and peel. Red bumps form and I look like I have a Karl Malden nose. Does anyone else have a skin reaction to the mask material? If so what did you do?

Joe Jensen
04-27-2018, 10:12 PM
I suspect most masks are made of silicone. If I were you;
1) Stop using them now
2) Determine what material they are made from
3) Find masks made from an alternative
I would think others have allergies so alternatives should be available

Wayne Lomman
04-28-2018, 4:28 AM
The problem is not common but is generally caused by a combination of sweat, impervious material in contact with the skin, and contaminants. Gets yourself and helmet and face shield tape with a battery powered filtered fan supplying air. The are a bit bigger than a standard hard hat. No seals touch the face. Airflow provides protection. Cheers

Jamie Buxton
04-28-2018, 10:01 AM
You might consider the Resp-o-Rator. It is a dusk mask that doesn't touch to your face skin. Rather, it uses a snorkel mouthpiece. https://www.amazon.com/Resp-O-Rator-Dust-Respirator-Model-JR-7/dp/B002KA0CMO

Jim Becker
04-28-2018, 11:00 AM
I agree with using the ventilated face shield for general dust protection where you don't want contact with your face physically. But for spraying VOC, etc., you need to either drop some substantial coin on a similar respirator face shield that still seals or find a different mask with a compound that doesn't cause you issue with your skin. You cannot use the typical ventilated face shield that's optimal for dust protection when spraying finish.

John K Jordan
04-28-2018, 5:11 PM
I wear two types of respirator masks. One is for finishes with high VOC's, the other for certain wood types that generate dust that is a possible health risk. Both have a dark grey rubber like material that surrounds or comes close to my nose. Anyways I have finally determined that these masks are causing the skin on my nose to blister, pimple and peel. Red bumps form and I look like I have a Karl Malden nose. Does anyone else have a skin reaction to the mask material? If so what did you do?

When spraying I use this one with filters for volatile chemicals.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007JZ1M10

When making dust, I use this one with P100 filters, the most comfortable of all those I keep in the shop:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008MCUT86

What kind of masks? Do they fit well? (If you remove the filters and plug the openings can you draw in any air?) If they don't seal well irritants can be pulled in around the seal and get stuck between the seal and the skin. Any sensitivity to those irritants and the skin will break out.

One test for sensitivity to certain species of wood is to put a bit of the sawdust against the skin under a bandaid on the underside of the forearm and leave it there for a few hours - if sensitive to that wood it will make a rash under the bandaid, accelerated by the moisture. For example, I work with eastern red cedar often but once I got fine sawdust under a wrist watch and developed a rash in just that spot. I imagine dust caught between a respirator and the skin would do the same.

If you are sensitive to latex rubber you might check to be sure your masks are made from a good silicone instead. If they are, you might get tested for silicone allergy. I understand it is not common but possible.

JKJ

johnny means
04-28-2018, 9:38 PM
Vaseline or Balmex on the face helps me. When I'm doing long hours with a respirator on, I can get skin irritation.

David Utterback
04-29-2018, 8:11 AM
It might be that the face piece contains latex which commonly causes allergies. Latex gloves and other protective devices were typically used in medical settings until they were discovered to cause skin rashes and other more severe symptoms. If you no longer have the original packaging, buy a silicone rubber product. Or you can adopt one or more of the strategies offered above by others. Best wishes.

Charles Lent
04-30-2018, 9:14 AM
You might also try wiping the mask with alcohol pads to kill off any bacteria that may be growing on the rubber. I was having skin problems from the masks used in fire fighting until I started cleaning the masks after each use followed by a thorough wiping with an alcohol pad. My skin irritations from the mask stopped after I began doing this.

I also keep my woodworking and painting masks clean this way and sealed in Tupperware containers when they are not in use, and I've never had any skin problems s from using them.

Charley