PDA

View Full Version : NE walnut bowl

Ernie Nyvall
11-16-2005, 9:59 PM
1st NE to stay an NE. I knocked the bark off one and sanded the other down to nothing. I actually went a bit too far with the sandpaper on this one and curved the bark over a bit and it is a bit squatty looking. Next time I think I will go a bit more shallow. It was quite nerve racking trying to keep the bark on there so "hail" to those who do it all the time. This is going to an uncle who gave me the tree.

It measures 12" x 9.5" and is about as big as I can get with the tools I have. The blank was right at 14". Right now it just has Blo on it.

Any comments/suggestions welcome. Just remember, it's "Be kind to dumb animals day".

Ernie

John Hart
11-16-2005, 10:05 PM
Holy cow Ernie....that thing is beautiful. Nice payment for a tree too!! I don't think it looks squatty at all. Very nice.:)

Keith Burns
11-16-2005, 10:12 PM
Wow Ernie, that is wonderful ! Great form. I'm impressed. Glad your back by the way.

Bill Stevener
11-16-2005, 10:15 PM
Wow Ernie, that bowl is beautiful, don't look at what I just put up.
You've jot the knack for it now,
Bill.>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>:)

Don Henthorn Smithville, TX
11-16-2005, 10:26 PM
Really nice, Ernie. Just love the contrasts in the piece and the form is great also.

John Timberlake
11-16-2005, 10:46 PM
Great job! Reminds me that I have a walnut log that was cut about four years ago - 6 feet by about 9 inches. This tree was cut because it was in the middle of an ash forest and had only one living branch at the top. Turned out to be 60 years old, and as I said only 9 inches across.

How do you determine how long to cut the blank relative to the diameter of the tree?

Ernie Nyvall
11-16-2005, 11:10 PM
Thanks guys. It was nice to have a little shop time and to get back here. I have been busier than a one legged man driving a stick and have about a month to go before it lets up some.

Ernie

Jim Ketron
11-16-2005, 11:21 PM
Nice NE Bowl Ernie.
Congrats on the success! The form looks great!

How do you determine how long to cut the blank relative to the diameter of the tree?
John I usualy try to cut my blank at least 4" longer than the log is wide.

Michael Stafford
11-17-2005, 4:43 AM
Wonderful NE, Ernie. It is a most attractive piece! Great job!:D

Ed Scolforo
11-17-2005, 6:15 AM
Ernie: You did a great job on that bowl. Very pleasing to look at!

Ernie Nyvall
11-17-2005, 6:25 AM

John, I just cut a piece as large as I thought I could turn on my lathe, so the blank was right at 14" x 10". I've seen them so shallow that they look like a set of wings when done. I would think that as one got more shallow, it would also increase in difficulty to finish cut and sand due to the wings coming around like helicopter blades.

Ernie

Karl Laustrup
11-17-2005, 6:35 AM
Very nice Ernie. It is very warm and pleasing to the eye.

Karl

Travis Stinson
11-17-2005, 6:52 AM
Great looking Walnut Ernie!:)
A thing I've learned with sanding NE bowls. Whenever you reach the lowest rim, stop the lathe and rotate the bowl by hand while power sanding. It makes it easier to maintain the profile because the disk isn't bouncing between air, soft bark and hard wood.

Kurt Aebi
11-17-2005, 7:01 AM
Great Job, Ernie!

I have yet to even try a natural edge anything.

You done a real good job on this one and as far as tips go, the guys around here surely will steer you the Right way, for sure! Great tips, guys!:)

Glenn Hodges
11-17-2005, 7:14 AM
Ernie, I think he will be very happy to receive such a beautiful bowl.

Ernie Nyvall
11-17-2005, 9:23 PM
A thing I've learned with sanding NE bowls. Whenever you reach the lowest rim, stop the lathe and rotate the bowl by hand while power sanding. It makes it easier to maintain the profile because the disk isn't bouncing between air, soft bark and hard wood.
Good tip Travis, thanks. I wish I had a power sander but, wish in one hand.... I was using a strip of sandpaper and thought I'd cut it wide enough to keep the profile and it happened so fast on that bark:eek: .

Ernie

Ernie Nyvall
11-17-2005, 9:30 PM
Ernie, I think he will be very happy to receive such a beautiful bowl.

I think he will too Glenn. Mainly because he is not expecting it in the least and has no clue it is coming his way.

Thanks for your kind words and to all who replied, the same.

Ernie

Mark Cothren
11-17-2005, 10:04 PM
In my opinion you have done a great job on this bowl! As bad as I hate to smell this stuff, I have to admit I think it is some great looking wood. Great job!

Thanks for the picture!