PDA

View Full Version : Blood Sugar and fitness walking

lowell holmes
04-26-2018, 11:30 AM
I don't know why I am posting this.

I am a bit diabetic. I was diagnosed about 20 years ago. I went on a stringent diet and I read a book on fitness walking. I just
returned from my morning walk. Today my blood sugar was 160 before the walk and 133 after the walk. I have walked most days for
about 20 years. My legs and feet do not hurt.

I weighed as much as 205 pounds at one time. I weight just under 160 pounds now. I eat what ever I want. Oh, and I had a heart
attack in 2005 and was hospitalized. If you are interested I am 82 years old. I have not been in a doctor's office recently. I do not
see one regularly. I walk a little over one mile on most days.

Jon Wolfe
04-26-2018, 12:15 PM
Thats Fantastic Lowell!!!
You're an inspiration.
I am in a similar situation. I was about 210 when I was diagnosed as pre-diabetic. With dietary changes, walking and exercising I managed to skip the meds and lose about 35 pounds. I have gained some back because of the exercise and weight training but I wear the same size pants I did as a teen. After losing weight with walking I now run 3 or 4 times a week.
I am 50 and in better shape than i was in my 30's.
Thanks for sharing.
jon

Ole Anderson
04-27-2018, 8:18 AM
Diagnosed 5 years ago at age 65. I blame my terrible sweet tooth. A1c dropped to 5.9 from 8.4 in the first year with diet change and metformin. Creeping back up to 6.2 now, just a matter of time before I need to change meds. I lost 10-15 pounds just due to dietary change, now at about 165 never been over 195. A year ago I started going to the gym for 45 minutes three times a week (in a good week). It helped. Now if I can halve sweets in my diet. I have really cut down and avoid white bread and ration my potatoes and sweets intake. Working on it. Good to hear success stories like Jon and Lowell's.

Joe Mioux
04-27-2018, 8:37 AM
I like the idea of this thread.

My latest health fair results were very good. Blood sugar 88, cholesterol 140, hdl is the only thing a bit low at 50. A visit to the Dr two days ago to discuss results also revealed my bp was 114/68.

According to the federal government I am too fat. I am on a weight loss goal and want to lose about 50lbs. The good cholesterol and bp numbers come with the aid of some meds.

I work out 3-5 days a week and during the summer months ride my bike 20 miles before 6 am. Most importantly, I gave up alcohol which I think is really aiding with weight loss and lower bp.

Kind of sounds like I am bragging a bit....sorry about that. I guess I am, but I am also pleased with the positive results from the last health fair blood tests.

Wayne Lomman
04-27-2018, 8:56 AM
Keep it up Lowell. Due to family history of diabetes and disabled people in the house who can't exercise much, we all gave up sugar and any foods containing added sugar completely just over 12 months ago. It the best thing we ever did. Didn't take long to get used to it. Never felt so good. My cholesterol is down out of the stratosphere. I'm skinny anyway but the ladies are steadily losing weight. I can't stand coffee with sugar now. If we want sweet, it is whole fresh fruit. What started as a challenge has turned into us eating whatever we want. We just want different stuff now. Supermarkets are where you buy toilet paper, not food. Cheers

Bryan Lisowski
04-27-2018, 9:43 AM
I was just diagnosed as diabetic about a week ago and starting to make the difficult changes. I have nobody to blame but myself for my poor eating habits and lack of exercising. I hope to lose 30-40 pounds and get off the medication, because I dislike medicine and so far the metformin isn't playing nice with my system. Keep up the good work Lowell.

lowell holmes
04-27-2018, 10:47 AM
I just returned from my morning walk. I walked 1.26 miles, 2,958 steps. I burned 112.5 kcal. My cell phone has a pedometer on it . I walked at 2.3 mph.
If you can only walk 100 steps, do it today. Tomorrow, do it again but walk 105 steps. Keep that routine up, walking five more steps each day. Within a year
you will be walking distances you can't do today. I am convinced walking will add years to your life. Google "fitness walking".

https://www.google.com/search?q=fittness+walking&rlz=1C1PRFI_enUS790US790&oq=fittness+walking&aqs=chrome..69i57j0l5.10562j0j8&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

Matt Meiser
04-28-2018, 10:40 AM
That's good advise Lowell. A little over 3 years ago I was 250lbs and decided it was time to do something. I had never been into fitness, hated gym, and never played sports. I started eating carefully and started walking 60 minutes a few days a week (indoor on a treadmill since it was winter.) I would periodically check my heart rate and keep it in the so-called Aerobic Zone adjusting the speed. After a couple months I was walking as fast as I possibly could so I started jogging 30s at a time. Last fall I ran a full marathon 8 minutes off the qualifying standard for my age for Boston and weighed a too-thin 167lb doing it.

Ole Anderson
04-29-2018, 12:29 AM
That's good advise Lowell. A little over 3 years ago I was 250lbs and decided it was time to do something. I had never been into fitness, hated gym, and never played sports. I started eating carefully and started walking 60 minutes a few days a week (indoor on a treadmill since it was winter.) I would periodically check my heart rate and keep it in the so-called Aerobic Zone adjusting the speed. After a couple months I was walking as fast as I possibly could so I started jogging 30s at a time. Last fall I ran a full marathon 8 minutes off the qualifying standard for my age for Boston and weighed a too-thin 167lb doing it.

Wow Matt, that is a great achievement! From 250# to 167# and a full marathon. You rock my friend. I think it is time to change your avatar.

Thomas L Carpenter
04-29-2018, 10:02 AM
Walking is also good for arthritis. I'm 72, have arthritic knees (patella to be precise) and used to get shots in them several times a year. Got so the shots only lasted a few weeks so in desperation I started walking. I found that walking at a slow to moderate pace for 30 minutes 4 or 5 times a week actually worked better than the shots ever did.

Edwin Santos
04-29-2018, 10:11 AM
I will agree with everyone in reverse - NOT walking is bad for you. The body is a use it or lose it type of machine.
Remember when you used to hear that cars need to be driven regularly or they start to have problems? I think of the body like that.
This is why it's good practice to override the instinct to park in the nearest spot to front door of the store and walk a little further. Same thing at work, taking the stairs instead of the elevator. Those distances all add up.

Steve Rozmiarek
04-29-2018, 10:12 AM
Wow, you guys are inspirational, excellent work!

lowell holmes
04-29-2018, 2:44 PM
I've never done a marathon, but I do walk seven to eight miles per week.

We old dogs need to walk.

Mike Henderson
04-29-2018, 3:25 PM

Wow, that's an amazing change. I ran Boston many years ago but I did it as a bandit. I was a 3:30 marathoner (3:26 was my personal best) and could never get to 3:10 which was the qualifying time for my age group. Even taking 8 minutes off of a marathon time is a significant challenge. I was about 155 pounds at that time - 175 now.

Mike

Mike Cary
04-30-2018, 3:52 PM
It’s not unusual for your glucose to be high in the morning if you’re diabetic. Your liver makes glucose at night. It would have dropped whether you walked or not. But keep walking. Muscles need glucose and will burn it.

lowell holmes
04-30-2018, 5:38 PM
If this thread induced somebody to start walking, I accomplished my purpose in posting. :)

Marshall Harrison
04-30-2018, 5:50 PM
Way to go Lowell.

I need to start walking. I keep weight and stuff down by staying on a low carb high fat (LCHF) diet. Feel much better but I do need to get some exercise.

lowell holmes
04-30-2018, 6:50 PM
way to go lowell.

I need to start walking. I keep weight and stuff down by staying on a low carb high fat (lchf) diet. Feel much better but i do need to get some exercise.

just do it!:)

lowell holmes
05-06-2018, 9:43 AM
I just returned from my morning walk

May 6 2018
Sunnny bright
70 degrees
3290 steps
1.4 miles

It is delightful in Galveston County Texas. It is about 68 degrees, sun shining bright.
If you can't make the distance, just start walking if it's only a few steps, then add to it
every day. It is a great morning to be alive. God is in his heaven and smiling.

lowell holmes
05-08-2018, 9:51 AM
I just returned from my morning walk

May 8 2018
Sunny bright
70 degrees
3401 steps
1.44 miles

It is delightful in Galveston County Texas. It is about 70 degrees, sun shining bright.
If you can't make the distance, just start walking if it's only a few steps, then add to it

I walked 3,401 steps for 1.44 miles at 2.5 mph.
Old dogs (like myself) if you are not in a fitness routine, start one.:)

Matt Meiser
05-08-2018, 9:10 PM
Wow Matt, that is a great achievement! From 250# to 167# and a full marathon. You rock my friend. I think it is time to change your avatar.

I really should. Haven't looked that way in years. This was me a year ago Memorial Day. Won my age group at an 8K on Grosse Ile.

Wow, that's an amazing change. I ran Boston many years ago but I did it as a bandit. I was a 3:30 marathoner (3:26 was my personal best) and could never get to 3:10 which was the qualifying time for my age group. Even taking 8 minutes off of a marathon time is a significant challenge. I was about 155 pounds at that time - 175 now.

Mine is 3:25, but right now you need to be about 3 minutes under that so realistically my goal is about 3:20. I should say was, for now. I injured my hip, or probably more correctly finished it off in February and based on my visit to an ortho guy yesterday looks like I'll be taking a little detour but after holding my friend's Boston 2018 medal at dinner a couple weeks ago, I'm determined to have one.

lowell holmes
05-09-2018, 9:34 AM
May 9 2018
Sunny bright
70 degrees
3149 steps
1.34 miles

It is delightful in Galveston County Texas. It is about 70 degrees, sun shining bright.
And, at 82 years, I do not run, I walk. I'm not in a hurry.:)

lowell holmes
05-21-2018, 10:48 AM
May 21 2018
Sunny bright
70 degrees
140 steps
0.6 miles

And, at 82 years, I do not run, I walk. I'm not in a hurry.

Ruperto Mendiones
05-21-2018, 10:12 PM
Yes, exercise and avoiding SUGAR white potatoes and grains [particularly white ones] will take off weight and improve health. [and I say that from both personal observation and the perspective of a Doctor of Internal Medicine.]

lowell holmes
06-07-2018, 10:36 AM
It is sunny in Galveston County Texas, I just completed my morning walk. After I had a heart attack sixteen year ago, as I stated before, I started fitness walking.
It is sunny, 80 degrees. According to the pedometer on my cellphone, I walked 1.5 miles @ 2.4 mph. I have not had another heart attack.
Google "fitness walking" and start walking. It is a great day to be alive.:)

lowell holmes
06-10-2018, 2:56 PM
I walked this morning. I went 1.46 mi at 2.3 mph according to the pedometer attachment on my cell phone.
Tomorrow is my 82nd birthday. Hey, old dogs, start walking. It will keep you walking.

Doug Garson
06-10-2018, 11:11 PM
I started a morning walk or bike ride about a month ago when my doctor advised my A!C number was approaching dangerous levels and recommended I start a low dose of A1C reducing medication. I thought about it and decided not to start the meds but to watch my diet more closely and get more exercise. So far i've only missed one morning in four weeks, typically I walk or bike for about an hour. Haven't had a blood test to check A1C number yet, but have lost about 6 pounds.

lowell holmes
06-11-2018, 9:52 AM
I am out the door to my morning walk. It is 85 degrees and overcast in Dickinson. It is great to be alive and walking. I do not take it for granted.

Thomas L Carpenter
06-11-2018, 10:36 AM
Just got back from my 1/2 hour walk in Clayton, NC. Temp is 77 F. Forgot my Fitbit so don't know how many steps I took. I'm 73.

Mike Chance in Iowa
06-12-2018, 1:24 PM
A few months ago I started tracking my walks with the pup with an app on my iphone. It has been fun to look back at the maps and see the routes I took. I recently traded my credit card points in for an apple watch with GPS. I'm really enjoying the activity app and it's reminders to get up and move around if I have been sitting too long at my desk. It's been a fun incentive to get out and exercise even more. Each evening, weather and time permitting, I'm trying to fit in 1 hour of walking with the pup and increasing the distance and pace. We did 3.5 miles the other day averaging 19 minutes per mile which included mandatory sniffing and dandelion taste testing. At least one of us is tired by the end of the walk ... while the 4-legger is ready to start the walk again. :rolleyes:

lowell holmes
06-13-2018, 3:18 PM
Keep it up guys, I had an appointment with my cardiologist this morning. He did not find anything wrong, but he is scheduling more strenuous tests for me.
I already know there are no issues to be dealt with but when you are in your 80's, you take care of business.
You know what I found to be interesting, he is getting old too, but he appears to be fit.:)

lowell holmes
06-14-2018, 9:23 AM
[It is sunny in Galveston County Texas, I just completed my morning walk. After I had a heart attack sixteen year ago, as I stated before, I started fitness walking.
It is sunny, 80 degrees. According to the pedometer on my cellphone, I walked 1.3 miles @ 2.5 mph.

Robert Engel
06-14-2018, 9:48 AM
Yes, Type II diabetes (which is not true diabetes because the body is capable of producing insulin) is basically a lifestyle disease. Often nothing more than hyperglycemia due to excessive carbohydrate and sugar consumption - not insulin deficiency. I know so many people and friends who struggle with this, but it doesn't have to be that way.

But what do most people do? They take insulin, which puts the excess sugar into the tissue where its converted to fat, so the person becomes even more obese!!

If you start looking, sugar is everywhere - from ketchup to mustard to spaghetti sauce, usually in the form of high fructose corn syrup.

The American diet is horrible. Prepared foods are full of fat and salt - do not every eat them! Too much food addiction!! A whole grain, vegetable & fruit rich, high fiber diet with exercise will eliminate a variety of lifestyle related diseases.

Lowell is to be commended and proof that this is a lifestyle disease. I can say is if everyone took personal responsibility for their health, our medical system would greatly benefit, and so would our insurance premiums.

Reading Lowell's posts, its obvious what regular exercise can do for one's mental attitude.

Congratulations, Lowell!!

lowell holmes
06-15-2018, 10:09 AM
It is 9 am and I am headed out the door. It is a great day to be alive.
I walked 1.41 miles, 3312 steps, 80 deg F, slight wind from the West,
Sunshine Bright

lowell holmes
06-16-2018, 9:25 AM
It is 8 am and I am headed out the door. It is a great day to be alive.
I walked 1.24 miles, 3163 steps, 80 deg F, slight wind from the East,
Sunshine Bright Great Day to be alive,

John Terefenko
06-16-2018, 10:52 PM
Started walking again about 2 months ago. I walk 5 miles a day about 3 to 4 times a week. Lost 10 lbs. 262 before starting and would like to get to 230 before end of summer. Pace has started to pick up some lately so know I am on the right path. Take days off when knee starts to hurt. Love to walk out doors. Hate any inside exercising.

lowell holmes
06-19-2018, 9:59 AM
It is Tuesday, June 19,2018 @8:00 AM, I just returned from my morning walk.
It is a cloudy bright day in Dickinson, Galveston County, Texas and a great day to be alive.
According to the pedometer on my cell phone I walked 1.22 miles at 2.5 mph.

Old guys like myself, get out and start walking. I don't suffer any pain and I attribute
that to fitness walking. Google "fitness walking"

lowell holmes
06-23-2018, 9:11 AM
It is Saturday, June 23,2018 @8:10 AM, I just returned from my morning walk.
It is a cloudy bright day in Dickinson, Galveston County, Texas and a great day to be alive.
According to the pedometer on my cell phone I walked 1.36 miles at 2.4 mph.

Old guys like myself, get out and start walking. I don't suffer any pain and I attribute

lowell holmes
06-24-2018, 10:32 AM
Sunday, June 24, 2018, 9:30 AM 80 degrees

According to the pedometer on my cell phone I walked 1.15 miles at 2.5 mph.

Charlie Velasquez
06-24-2018, 5:21 PM
Thanks for the daily reminders of exercise and sugar control.
I had screwed up today: several bananas, Cheerios with milk, and an orange for breakfast; rice & pork, milk and another banana for lunch. Way too many carbohydrates for me. Glucose meter said 205. Just spent three hours mowing an acre of grass with a 22" push mower.
About 5 miles. Glucose meter said back down to a tolerable 123. It'll take another 12-24 hours to get back under 100.

I have been pretty lax since my dog died. We used to go for a two mile walk a few times a day. Need to re-focus.

Bryan Lisowski
06-24-2018, 10:23 PM
Been walking more as of late, watching the diet better as well, but the lack of carbs leaves me Hungary or eating to big of portions. On the bright side, my lowest ever reading was this evening at 136. I have to keep reminding myself it's progress, just slow progress.

Edwin Santos
06-24-2018, 10:36 PM
Been walking more as of late, watching the diet better as well, but the lack of carbs leaves me Hungary or eating to big of portions. On the bright side, my lowest ever reading was this evening at 136. I have to keep reminding myself it's progress, just slow progress.

Try to eat a lot of vegetables with your meals. Especially crucifers like broccoli and cauliflower. The fiber in them forces your body to work harder to digest them and will reduce the hunger feelings. Plus they're loaded with various vitamins and antioxidants. Simple carbohydrates that have very little fiber fly through the digestive system by comparison. Carbs can also create an addiction of sorts, and when you restrict them, you may feel lousy for a short while, but this is the body readjusting and if you can push through this adjustment period, you will eventually feel great and you will be much healthier, leaner, fitter.
Edwin

Doug Garson
06-24-2018, 10:54 PM
Actually the carbs should leave you hungry shortly after eating not the lack of carbs, maybe you're missing something else like healthy fats? Check out this video especially at 5:00 min point. Keep up the walking, that is definitely the right thing to do.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=da1vvigy5tQ

PS don't take my word for it, do your own research and decide for yourself.

Doug Garson
06-25-2018, 2:25 PM
Got my morning walk in again today, I have been increasing the intensity slowly by adding some weight and some elevation. Where I live on the Fraser River in New Westminster BC the landscape is pretty flat but there's a bike/pedestrian ramp up to an overpass that I climb (4 times today) to get some extra work in, plus a second overpass I go over and back. I've been doing this for about 6 weeks (only missed 3 mornings) and along with cutting carbs and taking apple cider vinegar (look it up), I've lost about 12 pounds.

lowell holmes
06-26-2018, 9:03 AM
June 26, 2018, sunny 80 degrees in Dickinson, Galveston County, Texas.
I just returned from walking. The pedometer on my cell phone shows that I burned 127.7 kcal, 1.47 miles @ 2.4 mph.
I had a heart attack in 2002, started walking, have not had another one.

Google "fitness walking".
https://www.google.com/search?q=fitness+walking&rlz=1C1PRFI_enUS790US790&oq=f&aqs=chrome.0.69i59j0j35i39j69i57j69i60j0.2581j0j8&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

Have a god day, I'm having one. :)

lowell holmes
06-27-2018, 10:47 AM
June 27, 2018, sunny 80 degrees in Dickinson, Galveston County, Texas.
I just returned from walking. The pedometer on my cell phone shows that I burned 111.6 kcal, 1.25 miles @ 2. mph.
I had a heart attack in 2002, started walking, have not had another one.

Google "fitness walking".
https://www.google.com/search?q=fitn...hrome&ie=UTF-8

Have a god day, I'm having one.

lowell holmes
06-28-2018, 9:44 AM
June 28, 2018
80 degrees in Galveston County Texas

Sunny bright

1.49 mile 2.5 mph 134.6 kcal

lowell holmes
06-29-2018, 9:34 AM
I just returned from my morning walk in Dickinson, Galveston County, Texas. It is a sunny morning in the 80's. According to the pedometer on my cell phone,
I took 3,621 steps, 1.54 miles, @ 2.4 mph. I burned 124 kcal.

You other old dogs like me, if your not doing fitness walking, start.
I had a heart attack in 2002. It put me in the hospital. I read a book on fitness walking when I recovered. I have been walking every day since then.
I do not remember the last time I had to see a doctor. Google "fitness walking".

Jim Andrew
06-29-2018, 11:12 PM
I have been walking a half hour lately. Hot days, a nice time to walk is between 6 and 7 am. First day I attempted race walking. After that just walking.

lowell holmes
06-30-2018, 11:18 AM
I was out to walk this morning in Dickinson, Galveston County, Texas. The Sahara dust is supposed to come into Galveston, so I decided not to walk.
I don't want to breathe the stuff they were talking about on the news.

Doug Garson
06-30-2018, 11:59 AM
Cool and rainy in New Westminster BC but I got out with my umbrella for a 45 min walk. That makes 40 of the last 42 days, thanks for the inspiration Lowell.

Charlie Velasquez
06-30-2018, 12:35 PM
World Cup is on a 2 hr. break. Finished my snack about an hour ago. BG=121, Temp is 93 and climbing.
Going to start mowing. Figuring on 20 minutes on, 15 minutes off, till the next game.

lowell holmes
07-01-2018, 9:07 AM
I just returned from my morning walk in Dickinson, Galveston County, Texas. It is a sunny morning in the 80's. According to the pedometer on my cell phone,
I took 3,423 steps, 1.45 miles, @ 2.4 mph. I burned 125.1 kcal.

You other old dogs like me, if your not doing fitness walking, start.
I had a heart attack in 2002. It put me in the hospital. I read a book on fitness walking when I recovered. I have been walking every day since then.
I do not remember the last time I had to see a doctor. Google "fitness walking".

lowell holmes
07-02-2018, 10:25 AM
This morning in Dickinson, Galveston County, Texas, it is 80 degrees, cloudy bright.

According to the pedometer on my cellphone, I walked 3,071 steps, 1.3 miles at 2.5 mph. I burned 109.5 kcal.

I've been doing this every morning since 2002. I have not had another heart attack.

Doug Garson
07-02-2018, 4:22 PM
Took this morning off, celebrated Canada Day yesterday with a walking tour of Vancouver totalling just over 28,000 steps, just under 22 Km or 14 miles). Will be back at it tomorrow.

lowell holmes
07-03-2018, 10:21 AM
This morning in Dickinson, Galveston County, Texas, it is 80 degrees, cloudy bright.

According to the pedometer on my cellphone, I walked 3,256 steps, 1.38 miles at 2.4 mph. I burned 118.9 kcal.

I've been doing this every morning since 2002. I have not had another heart attack.
Edit Post Reply Reply With Quote
Blog this Post This morning in Dickinson, Galveston County, Texas, it is 80 degrees, cloudy bright.

According to the pedometer on my cellphone, I walked 3,071 steps, 1.3 miles at 2.5 mph. I burned 109.5 kcal.

Edit Post Reply Reply With Quote
Blog this Post

lowell holmes
07-05-2018, 9:54 AM
July 5 2018, 8:47am - Just returned from my morning walk in Dickinson, Texas, Oak Hollow street is 3/8 mile in length.

I walked 2,945 steps, 1.25 miles at 2.5 mph, it took 30 minutes.

Old dogs like my self, you might want to google fitness walking.

I had a heart attack in 2002. I started walking and I have not had another one.

lowell holmes
07-12-2018, 9:20 AM
July 12 2018, 8:47am - Just returned from my morning walk in Dickinson, Texas, Oak Hollow street is 3/8 mile in length.

I walked 2,845 steps, 1.21 miles at 2.5 mph, it took 27 minutes.

Old dogs like my self, you might want to google fitness walking.

I had a heart attack in 2002. I started walking and I have not had another one.

Doug Garson
07-12-2018, 12:19 PM
Keep it up Lowell, you're an inspiration for all of us. Just got back from a 10K bike ride, sunny and warm in New Westminster BC.

lowell holmes
07-12-2018, 6:06 PM
Keep it up Lowell, you're an inspiration for all of us. Just got back from a 10K bike ride, sunny and warm in New Westminster BC.

I hope someday someone will post that they have taken up "fitness walking".

https://www.google.com/search?q=fitness+walking&rlz=1C1PRFI_enUS790US790&oq=fitness+&aqs=chrome.2.69i57j0j35i39j0l3.6335j0j8&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

lowell holmes
07-14-2018, 9:27 AM
Partly cloudy morning, 80 degrees in Dickinson, Galveston County, I walked 3289 steps, 1.4 miles, at 2.5 mph.

You old dogs need to walk if you are not walking.

lowell holmes
07-15-2018, 9:20 AM
Partly cloudy morning, 80 degrees in Dickinson, Galveston County, I walked 3285 steps, 1.39 miles, at 2.5 mph.

You old dogs need to walk if you are not walking. Partly cloudy morning, 80 degrees in Dickinson, Galveston County, I walked 3289 steps, You old dogs need to walk if you are not walking.

lowell holmes
07-22-2018, 2:28 PM
Partly cloudy morning, 80 degrees in Dickinson, Galveston County, I walked 3133teps, 1.33 miles, at 2.5 mph.

John Terefenko
07-22-2018, 11:26 PM
My walk regiment took a huge hit last week. Was walking the same route I have been using for 30 years. Use to run it when I was young but can not any more so I try walking as much as I can. But last thursday I got chased by 2 dogs. They came up on me real quick. They had collars on them and someone let them loose or forgot to lock the gate. Scared the devil out of me so I started running what I could. I got behind a car in a driveway and these dogs chased me around it till the decided to split up and come at me 2 ways. I broke around and as I did I tripped and fell. The dogs did not attack but stood there barking their heads off. I got up when I heard a car coming and ran into the street hoping the car would hit these dogs and take them out but the lady stopped short. Fortunately for me they became infatuated with the car and I got away. But now I must have done something to my knee and it is keeping me from walking. If it does not calm down in a week I need to get checked out.

What this did is made me order some peper spray and I will never walk without it again. Just something to think about for those that do walk or even jog or bike ride. Never know.

lowell holmes
07-23-2018, 10:02 AM
Partly cloudy morning, 80 degrees in Dickinson, Galveston County, I walked 3311 steps, 1.41 miles, at 2.4 mph.

You old dogs need to walk if you are not walking.

Mike Wilkins
07-23-2018, 10:19 AM
Been managing my Type 2 for a while; exercise is the best way of keeping number in check, along with your food intake.
My aunt used to say: If you rest, you rust.
Let's get moving folks. Whether you have health issues or not, moving is good for you.

Lucy Green
07-24-2018, 3:38 AM
I have done marathon twice, thanks for your sharing.

Doug Garson
07-24-2018, 10:45 AM
Just getting ready for my morning walk. Sunny and warm in New West.