View Full Version : Dewalt 735 - Broken Drive Belt

David Justice
04-25-2018, 8:11 PM
I changed the head in my Dewalt 735 to the Shelix head about a month ago and today the belt broke?

Anyone have any idea why this would happen? Has this happened to anyone else with the Shelix head?

David J Blackburn
04-25-2018, 11:04 PM
Happened to me. No idea why - it didn’t snap completely, so I trimmed it down and put it back on (so I could finish what I was doing) and it has worked fine since. I did order a replacement on Amazon, but since it’s still been working, I’ve been too lazy to put the new one on.

David Justice
04-25-2018, 11:46 PM
I might try that. New one doesn't get here until Monday and I have to do!

Lee Schierer
04-26-2018, 8:03 AM
I would check the alignment, it looks like the belt was rubbing against the side of one of the pulleys.

David Utterback
04-26-2018, 8:31 AM
Not yet, gulp! I believe my drive belt is much wider, about 3/4". Does anyone know if there are different versions?

David Justice
04-26-2018, 10:11 AM
I think they are the same, mine is wider, it just shredded into several thinner pieces.

Patrick Cosentino
04-26-2018, 10:48 AM
Mine didn't break , but taking off the belt , and putting it back on was a major pain.
Once I Did , I didn't have it aligned correctly , and the edge was hitting the drive chain. Made a horrible racket (although worked).
Re-seated it which stopped the noise.
No issues so far.

Mike Wilkins
04-26-2018, 3:52 PM
I once visited a tool sales/rental/repair shop. In talking with the service/repair tech, noticed there were 3 or 4 of these machines in for repair. I believe all were for new belts. That convinced me not to consider this machine for a future purchase.

David Justice
04-26-2018, 10:45 PM
I have been looking at it and I think that I probably didn't get it back on correctly after adding the Shelix head. I have had it for several years with no issues and then the belt breaks a month after I changed the head. This is a great machine, especially with the Shelix added. A $34 belt every 2 years? I'll take it.