PDA

View Full Version : festool router

Jason Mikits
04-25-2018, 6:56 AM
I recently came across a festool router. It's an older discontinued OF2000 that appears to be new. When I went to plug it in, I realized it has the European plug on it. That's probably why it has never been used.

My question is can I somehow convert this or is it useless to me?

John K Jordan
04-25-2018, 7:41 AM
I recently came across a festool router. It's an older discontinued OF2000 that appears to be new. When I went to plug it in, I realized it has the European plug on it. That's probably why it has never been used. My question is can I somehow convert this or is it useless to me?

Jason, everywhere I've been in Europe uses 240v at 50hz. If you google using 240v festool in usa you can find a Festool discussion concerning your situation. A quick scan shows that some have been using European Festools in the US by changing the plug on the cord (I didn't see anything specific to that router), assuming you have that power in your shop. Apparently the practical difference between 50hz and 60hz in the USA is not an issue. One person implied the biggest problem might be if you take the router out of the shop, or perhaps even if you want to use it in a different part of the shop away from the 240v receptacle. I didn't see anything about converting it to use 110v. You could use a transformer to step down the voltage as long as it was sufficient capacity. https://www.amazon.com/slp/220v-240v-to-110v-120v-volt-voltage-transformer/dbfm3pu6m4su5ah

JKJ

Jason Mikits
04-25-2018, 10:08 AM
Thanks, and thank you for the amazon link.

Larry Edgerton
04-25-2018, 10:56 AM
I checked into that and was told the speed would be faster because of the 50/60 cycle thing, but you may be able to find out more from someone that actually understands electricity. I did not buy it because I am an electrical illiterate.

Dan Friedrichs
04-25-2018, 1:18 PM
Interesting question. You know that if you had titled this thread, "Highly-theoretical electronics question", you'd have 100 EE's arguing with each other within minutes, right? :)

The speed of induction motors depends on the supply frequency, but universal motors - as their name suggests - can run on various frequencies (or even DC). You could get 10 car batteries (12v each), connect them in series, and run a shop vac, router, blender, etc.

The only complication with this particular router is that it's variable speed. If it were not variable speed, you could likely plug it into a 240V, 60Hz supply and have it work exactly as though it were plugged into a 240V, 50Hz supply.

However, it being variable speed may be an advantage. There are subtle differences in how the electronics could have been optimized for 60-vs-50Hz, but it seems unlikely that Festool would have built separate speed control electronics based on supply frequency, as the difference is quite minor (when compared to safety margins, derating, etc, that needs to be included, as well). So: I think you can safely plug this router into 240V, 60Hz with no ill effects.

Where this could get interesting: Is the motor brushless? If so, the electronics rectify the AC input into DC before chopping it back up into AC and sending it to the motor. What this means is that it might be possible to plug the router into 120V, 60Hz and have it operate just fine, as well (since the electronics are likely "universal input range": 90-264VAC).

Josh Kocher
04-25-2018, 4:33 PM
I use a Mafell saw from Europe 110v 50hz, variable speed, on 120v, 60hz without issue.

I notice the placard on my Bosch miter saw (another universal motor) also specifies 50/60hz...

Check the placard for voltage too, sometimes funny plugs can still be 110/120v - ie. UK.

johnny means
04-27-2018, 11:13 PM
Not that long ago all Festool tools came with that the euro plug and an adapter. All you need to do is get the appropriate adapter or do what I did, lop of the offending appendage and transplant a quality American organ.