PDA

View Full Version : Ammonite from Big Leaf Maple

Ronald Campbell
04-24-2018, 12:18 PM
Purchased this piece of wood 2 years ago south of Tacoma and finally got around to turning it . Had to be turned outboard as it is 21 x 19
I have always been fascinated by the shape and form of Ammonites. Used Modern Masters reactive paint and patina

C and C welcome

daryl moses
04-25-2018, 9:36 AM
Ronald, i'm not quite sure what it is but it looks to be very well done. I like it!!

Karl Koch
04-28-2018, 12:24 PM
This is beautiful...both the form and finish! I'm going to check out the MM finishes now...

glenn bradley
04-28-2018, 12:33 PM
Looks great. At that size it could be a wall mount or stand in a "plate stand" like doo-dad. I have a decorative slab of slate in such a stand on one side of the hearth.

Ronald Campbell
04-28-2018, 9:30 PM
Yes it is a wall hanger

Mike Nathal
04-29-2018, 7:04 AM
I like it as I collected fossils before getting hooked on turning. How did you draw the spiral?

Ronald Campbell
04-29-2018, 5:49 PM
I like it as I collected fossils before getting hooked on turning. How did you draw the spiral?

There are a few ways to do it. Watched a video on YouTube . Showing how to dived it into sections and where to use the compass
I thought I would find the center on the lathe, bring my lathe table up, turn the lathe on 175 and bring a pencil along the table. Was too fast with my hand, lines too far apart. Did it again and slowed down the pencil feed