PDA

View Full Version : It's spring time in Idaho

Ken Fitzgerald
04-22-2018, 10:40 PM
The prairie below Idaho's Seven Devils in central Idaho......

Bruce Page
04-22-2018, 11:36 PM
Beautiful shot Ken. What mountain range is that?

Ah.. Looked it up.. Seven Devils..:)

Michael Weber
04-23-2018, 12:28 AM
Idaho is beautiful. Passed through parts on the way to visit our daughter in Oregon a couple of times. Next time I want to do the Lolo pass on our sidecar rig.

Steve Rozmiarek
04-23-2018, 8:40 AM
That is some beautiful country Ken!

Keith Outten
04-23-2018, 8:47 AM
That's a beautiful scene Ken, it sure would be nice to have a home with that view.

Ole Anderson
04-23-2018, 9:20 AM
Thumbs up!!!

Dennis Peacock
04-23-2018, 9:25 AM
Where'd all the trees go? Nice pic but you need to plant some trees. :D ;)

Ken Fitzgerald
04-23-2018, 11:24 AM
Idaho is beautiful. Passed through parts on the way to visit our daughter in Oregon a couple of times. Next time I want to do the Lolo pass on our sidecar rig.

Michael, if you do Lolo Pass with your sidecar rig, please stop and visit with us! We live in Lewiston where US-95 and US-12 intersect. Would truly enjoy meeting you face to face.

Ken Fitzgerald
04-23-2018, 11:26 AM
That's a beautiful scene Ken, it sure would be nice to have a home with that view.

Keith, in fact, I pulled over to take the photograph. The guy built his house on the uphill side of the road and has what looked to be a 2nd story deck about 25'x25' with that view.

Ken Fitzgerald
04-23-2018, 11:31 AM
There is a little town of Keuterville very near where I took this photo. After church yesterday we drove to the Keuterville Pub and Grub for a late lunch/early dinner. What was interesting was the mountains along US-95 ,as far as we could see north and south, were covered with snow. We have lived in Idaho 36 years come August and driven US-95 many time as this time of year. We have never seen all the low lying and higher ridges covered with snow this late into spring.

The whole trip was a beautiful spring scene!

Jim Koepke
04-23-2018, 1:22 PM

Isn't the state tree of North Dakota a telegraph pole?

jtk

Ken Fitzgerald
04-23-2018, 1:38 PM

Uhh......Bibs....the ranchers/farmers worked long and hard to take the trees out of these prairies to make it more efficient to grow crops.:) You notice the mountains are pretty much tree covered in the distance.:D

Ronald Blue
04-23-2018, 8:19 PM
I wondered where spring went....because it's certainly been AWOL here until the last few days. Last year I mowed the yard on April 1st. This year we had 6" of snow and on the 2nd the temperature was -2 Fahrenheit. It made made 70 here finally. Field work is just beginning to get off to a good start. Usually all corn is planted or nearly all of it by now. Lovely scenery out there Ken. Almost as nice as miles and miles of corn and soy beans. LOL Just kidding there. We went through on Amtrak last year but we were probably close to a couple hundred miles north of you. It is beautiful country up there. Thanks for sharing the scenery with us.

Ken Fitzgerald
04-23-2018, 8:47 PM
Ronald,

I was born in Illinois, graduated from HS in Illinois. My wife is from Illinois. My two oldest children were born in Illinois. I moved to Idaho from a Chicago suburb. I appreciate corn and soy beans. They help feed the world.

Mark Blatter
04-28-2018, 12:23 AM
My daughter sent us a photo of the lovely spring they are having in Helena, MT a couple of weeks ago. It was right after they had received about 8" of snow during the night. Not sure if Lewiston has been having the same type of winter, but Helena, most of Montana in fact, is at almost double the normal precipitation for the year. Most years no one cries about getting too much snow since Montana generally needs as much as they can get, but not the case this year. Most are tired of the snow and looking for some warm weather and clear skies.

Ken Fitzgerald
04-28-2018, 12:31 AM
Believe me Mark. It's not the same! Downtown the elevation is IIRC 650' above sea level. You climb 2,000' in elevation any way you leave town eventually. Thus Lewiston, ID is referred to as "the Banana Belt". A lot of ranchers/farmers from the higher elevation prairies nearby retire to Lewiston as our winters are much milder than the surrounding areas.

Marshall Harrison
04-28-2018, 10:04 AM
Believe me Mark. It's not the same! Downtown the elevation is IIRC 650' above sea level. You climb 2,000' in elevation any way you leave town eventually. Thus Lewiston, ID is referred to as "the Banana Belt". A lot of ranchers/farmers from the higher elevation prairies nearby retire to Lewiston as our winters are much milder than the surrounding areas.

I'm in Florida:

Britton Hill is the highest natural point in the state of Florida (https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Florida), United States (https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States), with a summit elevation of 345 feet (105 m) above mean sea level (https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sea_level). Britton Hill is the lowest state highpoint (https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_U.S._states_by_elevation) in the United States,[3] (https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Britton_Hill#cite_note-wtvy-3) 103 feet (31 m) lower than the next lowest highpoint, Ebright Azimuth (https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ebright_Azimuth)in Delaware (https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Delaware).

lowell holmes
04-28-2018, 10:26 AM
It's spring in Galveston County Texas as well, but the scenery does not compare. :)

Larry Edgerton
04-29-2018, 7:55 AM
I spent a summer working on a dairy ranch just North of Preston Idaho when I was a kid. It was awesome. Went to HS in Missoula, moved to Kalispell after, then back to school at MS in Missoula. Have lived all over and that section of the country is just awesome. Still, I was always drawn to all the fresh water in upper Michigan.

Nice picture Ken.

Derek Meyer
05-02-2018, 6:24 PM
Hi Ken,

I live just up the hill from you in Moscow. I was down in Lewiston over the weekend, doing some shopping and having dinner at Fazarri's in Clarkston. My girlfriend's daughter lives in Lewiston, as does a good friend of my from high school.

That's interesting about Britton Hill being the highest point in Florida, as there is no point in Idaho that is that low. I think Lewiston is the lowest in the state. Just a ways south of Lewiston, along the Snake River, is Hell's Canyon, which is nearly 8,000 feet deep, the deepest river gorge in North America.

Derek

Ken Fitzgerald
05-02-2018, 6:51 PM
Hi Derek,

Lewiston is IIRC the lowest point in Idaho. We have jet boated in Hell's Canyon several times. I have camped there with a group of Boys Scouts.

If I need hardwoods and don't feel like driving to Spokane, I shop for hardwoods at Moscow Building Supply out on the north edge of town. Sometimes I do drive to Spokane for hardwoods.