PDA

View Full Version : box bottom

Brandon Speaks
04-22-2018, 5:12 PM
Hey guys, quick and maybe silly question. I am making some dovetail boxes but am struggling to find the best way to attach the bottom. Just gluing one on does not look great to me and seems to lack strength, I tried rabbeting the bottom but am struggling getting that to work out right. I dont have a plow plane to do a groove and even if I did I am not sure I want the hole in the ends. It seems like there must be an option that I am not thinking of.

lowell holmes
04-22-2018, 6:02 PM
Brandon,
Many of us would use your situation as an excuse to get a plow plane.

Otherwise, you could make a 5/8" rabbet and then put a 3/8" filler in using small nails and glue.

sean contenti
04-22-2018, 6:11 PM
Plow the groove with a router plane?

Mike OBryan
04-22-2018, 6:16 PM
I can't imaging just gluing it on would lack strength.

Chet R Parks
04-22-2018, 6:33 PM
+1 for what Lowell said, "good excuse to get a plow plane" or as Sean said get a router plane. As far as the groove showing, you can make a stopped groove, or go through with the groove and plug the ends of the groove, or make half blind dovetails on the ends so the grooved won't show, or make "slips" as described here Part Eight: Drawer Design and Drawer Bottoms (http://www.inthewoodshop.com/Furniture/DrawerDesignandDrawerBottoms.html) If you are using plywood for the bottoms and you get a plow or router plane you might want to consider getting MM blades to match the thickness of some of the plywood being manufactured these days. Good luck.

David Bassett
04-22-2018, 6:51 PM
... It seems like there must be an option that I am not thinking of.

Probably several we're both not thinking of! :)

One I recently heard of, seems ideal for thin sided boxes and solves several of your problems, was posted on Instagram by Megan Fitzpatrick (https://www.instagram.com/p/Bhl5jFtHWYc/?taken-by=1snugthejoiner). (You still have the "making a groove" problem, but you'd be working in a separate more accessible piece.)

ETA: I seen Chet & Derek were faster than I.

Brandon Speaks
04-22-2018, 6:53 PM
The veritas small plow plan is on my short list to get, but I had close to $2k in unexpected expenses this week so its on hold for a bit. I do have a router plane though, I have not not used it to plow before, do you need to saw the line out first or just score it with the gauge?

lowell holmes
04-22-2018, 7:17 PM
The veritas small plow plan is on my short list to get, but I had close to $2k in unexpected expenses this week so its on hold for a bit. I do have a router plane though, I have not not used it to plow before, do you need to saw the line out first or just score it with the gauge?

Try it on a scrap to develop your technique.

Chet R Parks
04-22-2018, 7:18 PM
If your using soft wood you might get away without scoring but I would probably score it anyway. Be sure to go with the grain and start from the far side and work back to you until you get the groove established. Sorry about the unexpected expenses but LV is out of stock on the small plow anyway.

David Bassett
04-22-2018, 7:22 PM
Try it on a scrap to develop your technique.

The beauty of a slip is it's all scrap until you go to glue it in place. :)

... I do have a router plane though, I have not not used it to plow before, do you need to saw the line out first or just score it with the gauge?

In theory, with perfect grain, you don't need to do it. (Nickers for Dados across the grain, none for grooves with the grain.) I think I'd mark with the gauge and then knife the lines in deeper to start. Once I'd tried it I'd adjust based on my results.

ETA: there goes Chet again. :)

Chet R Parks
04-22-2018, 7:32 PM
Sorry David, I'll shut up for now :) Brandon, if you lived closer I'd let you use my small plow to try out.

David Bassett
04-22-2018, 7:39 PM
Sorry David, I'll shut up for now :) Brandon, if you lived closer I'd let you use my small plow to try out.

No worries! I'm amused we seem to think the same, though you clearly do it a little faster.