PDA

View Full Version : Shop Tour

Jim Hager
11-16-2005, 1:39 PM
I don't think I have posted this link here before that shows my shop. You guys take a look if you like but ignore some of the pics that are obviously not of the shop. It is just a link to my clubphoto page.

http://members5.clubphoto.com/jim374331/1039727/owner_icons-40b3.phtml

Sorry about the condition of the shop, it's got it's working clothes on.:eek:

Glenn Clabo
11-16-2005, 2:11 PM
I ordered this one Jim...I like the hat...
http://a2.cpimg.com/image/F0/DE/51082992-390c-01800200-.jpg (http://members5.clubphoto.com/_cgi-bin/getImage.pl?imgID=51082992-b413&trans=)

Dan Oliphant
11-16-2005, 2:34 PM
Great looking shop Jim, looks like you have plenty of room and equipment for when and if you decide to go full time cabinent maker.

Tyler Howell
11-16-2005, 2:59 PM
Great Set Up Jim,
Perfect for when you walk in there full time a year from now.
I like the reindog myself;)

lou sansone
11-16-2005, 3:35 PM
nice shop that looks like it sees lots of use. looks like you have plenty of room for a lot of stuff.. thanks for sharing it with us.

lou

Lee DeRaud
11-16-2005, 3:47 PM
I don't care what everybody says about you, anybody who's owned by a Corgi can't be all bad.:cool:

tod evans
11-16-2005, 3:47 PM
nice shop jim, bet you`re looking forward to the day you can spend every day in it? thanks for sharing. tod

Vaughn McMillan
11-16-2005, 4:41 PM
Nice shop Jim. I'm envious of your setup...lots of room and lots of good-looking tools. I like seeing your older iron in the pics. You've got one little jointer tucked away on a wooden stand that looks like it has a motor bigger than the jointer itself.

Thanks for the pics, and I promise not to make any snide remarks about hats and reindogs and...oh wait...I just did. :D See what kind of influence Glenn and Tyler can be?

- Vaughn

Dave Ray
11-16-2005, 6:32 PM
Jim, you just have to respect a guy that wears a tux in his shop. LOL Great shop, thanks for the pic's

John Miliunas
11-16-2005, 6:52 PM
Hmmmmm...Looks like someone is pretty serious about their woodworking, heh???:D Nice digs, Jim! Nice assortment of equipment, as well. Yeah, me thinks you should be able to crank out a thing or two outta' that shop! Way to go!!!:) :cool:

Bruce Page
11-16-2005, 7:01 PM
Great looking shop Jim, you have some serious iron in there! I particularly like the hat that Glenn picked out for you! ;)

Jim Hager
11-16-2005, 7:44 PM
Nice shop Jim. I'm envious of your setup...lots of room and lots of good-looking tools. I like seeing your older iron in the pics. You've got one little jointer tucked away on a wooden stand that looks like it has a motor bigger than the jointer itself.

Thanks for the pics, and I promise not to make any snide remarks about hats and reindogs and...oh wait...I just did. :D See what kind of influence Glenn and Tyler can be?

- Vaughn

I knew I would get the business from you guys about the tux, but you better lay of my dog!!:D She's my buddy.

The old iron was purchased by my grandpa in 1942 when he opened a small woodworking/used furniture business in Mountain View Arkansas. I have the table saw, bandsaw, jointer, lathe and misc hand tools including the bailey #7 in the picture album. I also have the original catalog where grandpa circled the items that he wanted to order as well as the machine manuals. The table saw/jointer combo was $749. All the old power tools are Delta/Milualkee Homecraft. Not much by today's standards but the band saw parts fit the new band saw that is also in the albums pictures.

My shop is a combination of two shops. My father and law and I put a shop together with each of us contributing to the inventory. When I built my own building at my home I started collecting tools again with the hopes that he would again take up woodworking more with me out of his way. Well he took sick and never recovered so when they moved to town I wound up with the first shop and my shop too. When we sold that place we built a larger shop to contain it all. That is the reason that I have duplicates of most of the major power tools except the planer.

The old iron will be passed on to my son in a few more years when he gets a shop put up for himself. Four generations will have owned the same tools. I can't wait for him to get a shop up. He's just out of the Masters program at the UofA and looking at getting a management job at the plant where he works. Oh to be in his shoes right now and knowing what I know about life.

Thanks for noticing Grandpa's old stuff.

Bart Leetch
11-16-2005, 7:44 PM
I don't care what everybody says about you, anybody who's owned by a Corgi can't be all bad.:cool:

Thats great because I am looking to be adopted by a Corgi some day. This is a picture I have on my Desk top.

Yes it is a great shop I remember watching as you built it.:D

Jim Hager
11-16-2005, 7:46 PM
I ordered this one Jim...I like the hat...
http://a2.cpimg.com/image/F0/DE/51082992-390c-01800200-.jpg (http://members5.clubphoto.com/_cgi-bin/getImage.pl?imgID=51082992-b413&trans=)

I don't normally do stuff like that. It was an event for the Cancer Society. I was the MC. Also first time ever to wear a tux.

Scott Parks
11-16-2005, 11:53 PM
Jim,
Nice setup you've got there. I wish I had that much room to work. By the way, I think this is one of the few shop tours I've seen with sawdust! Proof that you actually use your tools!

I also have an identical Atlas jointer like yours. Although I scored mine at a garage sale many years ago for a whopping $30. I love that little thing! Works great, lasts a long time...

Glenn Clabo
11-17-2005, 6:14 AM
Just bustin' on ya Jim. I have to squeeze into those things every once in a while. Ya kind of get used to it.

But now that I know why you did...you are the best!

Karl Laustrup
11-17-2005, 6:59 AM
Great looking shop, Jim.

Glad you clarified the reason for the tux. I thought you were dressing up to operate the JD. I thought I might have missed the memo from JD about that.:o :D

May I be so bold to say that you really clean up very well. ;) :)

Karl

Jim Hager
11-17-2005, 8:30 AM
Great looking shop, Jim.

Glad you clarified the reason for the tux. I thought you were dressing up to operate the JD. I thought I might have missed the memo from JD about that.:o :D

May I be so bold to say that you really clean up very well. ;) :)

Karl

Thanks Karl. Not to bad for a balding fat guy huh? Most of the time I operate the JD in my overalls. I'm all over the charts with my clothes.:p

Actually my tux is for use of the drum sander. Once I got a good one I figured I should dress the part.:D

Karl Laustrup
11-17-2005, 8:56 AM
Most of the time I operate the JD in my overalls.

Actually my tux is for use of the drum sander. Once I got a good one I figured I should dress the part.:D

Uh Oh, I don't think I got that memo either. This would explain why people speed by when I'm mowing in the all together. :o :eek: :D And, no pictures are not available, nor should they be.

I suppose I have to get a tux now as I'm in the process of assembling my drum sander. Whoa is me. If it's not one thing it's another. They should put a warning on the box about that kind of stuff. :eek: ;) :D You know something like "WARNING: TUX NEEDED TO OPERATE THIS EQUIPMENT". :rolleyes:

Karl