PDA

View Full Version : Picked up some Harbor Freight goodies today.

Marshall Harrison
04-21-2018, 2:22 PM
Northeast Florida is under a nor'easter this weekend so no outside work today. I went to Harbor Freight and took advantage of their parking lot sale (moved inside) and some online coupons as well as the standard 20% off coupon.

I walked away with a random orbit sander for $19, and a variable speed oscillating multi-function tool for $19. I used the 20% coupon for a pocket hole jig. All of these have had some good reviews and I'm looking forward to using them.

I have had pretty good luck in the past with things from HF so hopefully I lucked out on these. I learned a few things from Youtube reviews such as most of the problems with the multi-function tool are caused by people not changing the blades properly. They tend to just use the allan wrench which after a while strips the gears. Always lock down the arbor with a wrench then toque against that.

There is no dust collection on the pocket hole jig but there is a pretty easy fix for that. Also I don't think the screws provided are anything more than wood screws. Using the Kreg screws looks to me to be a better solution. But some free would screw that came with the tool should be okay for other uses.

I'm happy and I didn't get into trouble with SWMBO and that's all that counts.:D

Cary Falk
04-21-2018, 2:33 PM
I don't think you can go wrong with any of those. I have the oscillating multi tool. Other than it being a little bulky and noisy it is fine. I bought a Bosch on closeout at lowes. It has tool-less blade changes so the HF has been collecting dust.

Nick Decker
04-21-2018, 2:35 PM
I use Kreg screws quite a bit, on things other than pocket holes. Self-tapping, and better quality than what I normally see at the BORG.

It's been mentioned before, but I think HF F-clamps are just fine.

Didn't like their brad nailer at all, took it back.

Marshall Harrison
04-21-2018, 2:43 PM
I use Kreg screws quite a bit, on things other than pocket holes. Self-tapping, and better quality than what I normally see at the BORG.

I picked up a couple of the f clamps the other day. They seem fine like you said. I have a Porter Cable brad nailer so I'm not interested in the HF anyway but I appreciate the tip.

John TenEyck
04-21-2018, 3:20 PM
I've been plenty happy with the HF variable speed multi-tool. For the little I need one it is more than adequate with plenty of power. I think you'll be happy with it. I'll be interested to hear which specific sander you bought and how it performs.

John

Marshall Harrison
04-21-2018, 3:39 PM
I got this one. Plan to use it on my next project for my daughter. I have a couple of sanders but no ROS so it seemed worth a try.

https://www.harborfreight.com/5-inch-random-orbital-palm-sander-93431.html

marlin adams
04-21-2018, 7:04 PM
I bought plenty of stuff from harbor freight for awhile now, mostly handtools when I was a mechanic and network engineer :). Went recently in the last few months since I started to get back into wood working in buying clamps, sanding supplies and drill bits and some router bits and even still have and use a small drill press I bought several years ago when HF came into the Mesquite Texas.

Steve Rozmiarek
04-21-2018, 7:50 PM

I definitely agree on the kreg screws, they are good stuff. GRK cabinet screws are better though. Try some, you won't regret it.

Ole Anderson
04-21-2018, 8:30 PM
Their pneumatic wide crown stapler really helped when putting new felt on my pool table. Had to turn the pressure down to 40 psi. With my Swingline staple gun I couldn't get them to seat at all.

Charlie Jones
04-21-2018, 9:43 PM
I really like there allen wrenches and I buy their small batteries.

Curt Harms
04-22-2018, 10:53 AM
Their pneumatic wide crown stapler really helped when putting new felt on my pool table. Had to turn the pressure down to 40 psi. With my Swingline staple gun I couldn't get them to seat at all.

You're right about that. The first stapler I've had that will fully seat 1/2"+ staples in hardwood.

Nick Decker
04-22-2018, 11:24 AM
I definitely agree on the kreg screws, they are good stuff. GRK cabinet screws are better though. Try some, you won't regret it.

I'll do that, Steve, as soon as I run out of the Kreg assortment I bought when I bought my Kreg jig a while back. Been using the screws more than the jig!