PDA

View Full Version : Anyone making there own homemade band saw mill?

Kevin Beitz
04-21-2018, 7:37 AM
I was surprised when I did a search that not homemade units come up. I'll post some pictures of one I made if anyone is interested.

Bruce Volden
04-21-2018, 9:29 AM
I'm interested!

Bruce

Kevin Beitz
04-21-2018, 9:57 AM
I'll start off with a picture of my finished product. I'll try to answer any questions about my build.

Kevin Beitz
04-22-2018, 6:32 PM
Not a lot of sawyers here I guess....

Bruce Volden
04-23-2018, 2:12 PM
Kevin,
I always thought of having my own "little" saw mill years ago but the prices shut me down. I'm in to all things DIY!
I have 14 acres of woods ranging from walnut, ash, elm, hackberry to conifers-mostly cedar. The farm I live on was
built back in 1887 and there are quite a few trees dying out. We've been keeping the house warm through the winters
here for 11 years with the die offs.
Seeing your home made outfit intrigued me.

Bruce

Kevin Beitz
04-23-2018, 3:48 PM
The hardest part is finding two band wheels. I you find something to use for that you got it made...

Bryan Lisowski
04-23-2018, 3:57 PM
Kevin,
Looks like a nice mill. What is the max diameter of log can you cut? What HP engine did you use? Did you build the trailer specifically for the mill? Since it is on a trailer what is your method for getting logs onto the mill?

Mark Bolton
04-24-2018, 10:55 AM
The hardest part is finding two band wheels. I you find something to use for that you got it made...

We didnt build our own mill, purchased a manual mill, but have watched many mill builds and a lot of guys are using trailer tires on rims for their wheels. Id enjoy building a dedicated large capacity mill one day like Matt Cremona built on Youtube but it'd have to be stationary (for me) and electric motor. Likely wont happen.

Mark Bolton
04-24-2018, 11:02 AM
Not a lot of sawyers here I guess....

Been sawing quite a bit over the last 20 years but dont quite consider myself a sawyer though I try to cut only primo material on the mill. Your little jib crane would be handy for sure. As mentioned in the other reply, not a home made mill but we always pull the wheels and setup close to the ground. Not as great on the back for off bearing but makes loading and turning easier. Were finishing up a batch of logs off my own place now (way too many logs lol) and seeing some of the things on your setup makes me want to bring the mill here to the shop and make some modifications before we move it to another piece of property for another ridiculously "too many logs" job lol.

Dennis Ford
04-26-2018, 1:44 PM
I built my mill, been using it about four years and have made a few improvements. It has a 23 hp Briggs & Stratton, 205R14 tires for band wheels and will cut 40" wide OR 16 ft long. Began as totally manual but now has power up/down, power feed and setworks, still manual loading & turning. I have learned that sawing the big logs is LOTs of work and prefer 20" - 24" diameter.

kent wardecke
04-26-2018, 4:16 PM
From posts I've read over the years high overall cost and lack of success make it less common then you'd think. There's some on YouTube a friend of mine made one using trailer tires .Had about $1500in it by the time he abandoned it because it wouldn't cut straight .

Kevin Beitz
04-28-2018, 6:49 PM
Kevin,
Looks like a nice mill. What is the max diameter of log can you cut? What HP engine did you use? Did you build the trailer specifically for the mill? Since it is on a trailer what is your method for getting logs onto the mill?

Max diameter 28"
Used boat trailer made to fit...
I made a rolling deck. I did not have the room needed to load the logs
at the mill with my tractor. So I made my log deck on wheels.

Kevin Beitz
04-29-2018, 1:46 AM
I have power lift and carriage movement.

Rod Sheridan
05-07-2018, 3:42 PM

I made a mill a few years ago, works well.

Normally I have a 2 HP 3 phase electric motor that I run as a 3 HP.

In the photo attached it has the gas engine on it...........Rod.

Jim Andrew
05-07-2018, 8:32 PM
I am a better woodworker than metalworker, so I bought a used Cooks MP32 about 12 years ago. Have not bought any hardwood since getting the mill. If you need wheels or mill parts, Cooks sells them.

Bob Bouis
05-10-2018, 10:43 AM
Building your own would be cool, but you can get used mills made by small operations for very little over the cost materials. I think we paid $5000 for ours.

Robert Galey
06-22-2018, 6:36 AM
Here's my homemade bandsaw mill. Jet JWBS-14SF with 160-in. table (80" on either side of the blade), and log carriage that is supported by rollerblade wheels embedded in the table. First logs were +/- 250 lb pie-shaped red oak cants. Build design is based on this site http://www.afterhourswoodshop.com/Home/projects/tools/bandsaw-log-mill. I've also due Alaskan chanisaw mills and cut by hand a (very) few +/- 4' logs with a logging saw. Also, a picture of the end result.