PDA

View Full Version : laminate countertop edge styles - practical differences?

Stephen Tashiro
04-20-2018, 7:57 PM
Besides appearance, what are the practical differences among edge styles for laminate kitchen countertops?

The local big box stores stock countertops with ogee edge, a "waterfall" edge, and "no drip edge".

The ogee edge looks nice, but is there another reason people like it? It seems like the little lip on it just wastes countertop space.

The waterfall edge (round, with laminate on the underside) might let water running off the counter run down the face of the cabinets.

The "no drip edge" ( half round , with no laminate on the flat underside) is more likely to keep water off the cabinets, but the particle board underside might get wet and deteriorate.

( An interesting policy at local stores is that they don't stock the same color/texture countertop in two different edge styles. Perhaps that's to head-off the problem of accidentally filling an order with pieces that have mismatching edges. )

Mel Fulks
04-20-2018, 11:05 PM
Stephen ,in my experience many people disdain the factory edges. It's an attitude fostered by custom fabricators. They prefer you to buy a top with plain square edges covered with laminate or wood and made by them. I prefer the moulded edges you described . I think they look better even though they cost less.

Bill Dufour
04-20-2018, 11:44 PM
Outside corners should be somewhat rounded so a little kid whose head runs into them does not lose an eye or ear. They should have a drip slot on the underside so no liquid runs onto the cabinets.
Bill D.

Wayne Lomman
04-21-2018, 6:48 AM
The waterfall edge is the best off the shelf edge. What the big box suppliers don't bother with is to install a drip line. This is a thin, usually plastic fin fitted in a groove on the underside of the front edge and projects down about 1mm. A drip slot allows moisture to get to the substrate. Cheers

Jamie Buxton
04-21-2018, 10:23 AM
Outside corners should be somewhat rounded so a little kid whose head runs into them does not lose an eye or ear...

How do you do that with laminate?