PDA

View Full Version : First Major (to me, anyway) Project

Brian Eaton
04-20-2018, 12:22 AM
Minus some sanding (or lots) and a finish of some kind, my most ambitious woodworking project to date is complete - a small cupboard to store tools and supplies in my garage over my workbench.

It was the first project I made from someone else's plans (theenglishwoodworker), though I change the face frame, and instead of rounded edges I did chamfers on the top, bottom, and sides of the face frame.

It's not perfect - some of the joints are a bit gappy, but way better than my previous efforts! - the only power tools to touch it were whatever the mill the wood came from used to get it to the size I bought it at the store (1x12x4) and my drill which was used to drill out the holes for the dowels. Several dados and rebates (the rebates were cut with a home made shoulder plane!) join the carcass together, the face frame is half lap joints, and the back is three shiplap style panels nailed into the back.

I am exceedingly proud of this even if in the grand scheme of things it is a rough, unrefined, simple piece of work. I teach orchestra in Texas and I imagine I feel a bit like beginner musicians do when they finally perform that first song!

Can't decide if I want to paint it or stain it! Kind of thinking red paint on the outside and natural finish on the inside - thoughts? Also, thanks for all of the advise and knowledge I've gotten from this forum!

384237 384246 384239 384242 384245

Frederick Skelly
04-20-2018, 6:13 AM
Good job Brian! That cabinet should serve you well.

Nothing wrong with a combo of paint and natural as you describe. (I'd leave it natural myself, and put a couple coats of shellac.)

Fred

Steve Kaminska
04-20-2018, 6:22 AM
Nice cabinet! I want to build a variant of this for a bathroom medicine cabinet.

Does it have a door?

If this was my cabinet, I’d use a simple oil/shellac finish, especially for a piece of shop furniture.

Mark Rainey
04-20-2018, 6:26 AM
Very nice Brian!

Mike Null
04-20-2018, 7:16 AM
Good job! I like natural for the shop but on a well-made piece like that make yourself happy.

Bill Carey
04-20-2018, 8:07 AM
way cool, Brian. And great choice on the chamfers instead of rounding over - gives it much more refined look. What ever finish you choose, it'll look great.

Chet R Parks
04-20-2018, 8:40 AM
I agree about the chamfers, gives it a crisp clean look, much better than rounded. Good job.

Charlie Jones
04-20-2018, 9:04 AM
Nice. It will be very handy in your shop.

Brian Eaton
04-20-2018, 9:40 AM
I glued up a panel for a door this morning...not sure if I'll be happy enough with it to use it, but we'll see!

Bill McNiel
04-20-2018, 9:36 PM
Nicely done, you have every right to be proud.

Brian Eaton
04-22-2018, 7:55 PM
Thanks for the compliments, everyone! Got things "finished" other than sanding and painting. I'm going to test the color out on some scrap first but I'm pretty sure I'm going to end up using General Finishes Brick Red milk paint on the outside.

384461 384462 384463 3844641

Von Bickley
04-22-2018, 10:15 PM
Great looking cabinet.... The only thing that I would do differently is that I like to run the stiles from bottom to top, and have the rails in between the stiles.

Now get busy on your next project and thanks for posting the pictures.

Brian Eaton
04-22-2018, 10:17 PM
I realized that after I had cut them all to length! Live and learn! Next project will probably start beginning of May: next weekend is my wife’s birthday and one of my “presents” to her will be to not be in the garage as much! At least for a little while...

Von Bickley
04-22-2018, 10:39 PM
I realized that after I had cut them all to length! Live and learn! Next project will probably start beginning of May: next weekend is my wife’s birthday and one of my “presents” to her will be to not be in the garage as much! At least for a little while...

When you have been married as long as I have, your wife would probably prefer that you stay in the shop.