PDA

View Full Version : Anybody Else Buy The SS Woodpeckers Paolini Rules?

Mike Goetzke
04-19-2018, 9:34 PM
Few years back I bought the 6" aluminum version. Love it and use it all the time bu the edges are wearing. So I waited almost 3-months to get the stainless set. When the bright light hit them you can see intermittent scratch marks. You can't feel them but they are very shinny at times when you use the rule. I contacted WP and they sent out another set. Same thing scattered marks. I'm ready to send them both back for a refund. I paid $130 and expected perfection like my Sterrett. My wife always thinks I'm too critical - am I?

Wondering if anyone else bought these and noticed the marks.

Thanks,

Mike

Nick Shattuck
04-20-2018, 12:29 AM
You paid a premium price for a product, so yeah, if you don't think it's worth it or wasn't made to the standard to warrant that price, send them back. You aren't being too critical in this this situation, in my opinion. If enough reject this, it may eventually get woodpeckers not let those products with noticeable scratches out of the shop. The OneTime tools are crazy expensive, and I'd expect something near flawless for what they want for them.

Derek Cohen
04-20-2018, 1:10 AM
Mike, I think that it is unreasonable to believe that a stainless steel edge will not scratch with use. They may arrive in flawless condition, but they will not remain that way unless you leave them on the shelf. The scratches are badges of honour .. of being put to good use.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Victor Robinson
04-20-2018, 1:20 AM
I agree with Nick that if it isn't worth it to you, whether due to a blemish or whatever, you should send it back. With the price WP charges, I think they set themselves up for (and to a certain extent deserve) that.

Now that being said, just about every single OTT I've received from WP could have been sent back for similar reasons. So it might be perfectly reasonable for you to decide it's not worth it, but perhaps unreasonable to expect that level of perfection from WP's processes. It's also very possible that I'm too forgiving.

Simon MacGowen
04-20-2018, 1:24 AM
Mike, I think that it is unreasonable to believe that a stainless steel edge will not scratch with use. They may arrive in flawless condition, but they will not remain that way unless you leave them on the shelf. The scratches are badges of honour .. of being put to good use.

Regards from Perth

Derek
+1.

But I was surprised to hear that WP didn't double check the second rule before it was sent out as a replacement, knowing the reason for your complaint.

Simon

Mike Goetzke
04-20-2018, 7:28 AM
Here is photo for reference:

These show up if the light hits the blemishes. I used my fingernail and you can't feel them. On the other rules the blemishes run the length of the rule so not at noticeable. Looks like the base metal was not finished correctly?

Mike

Mike Cutler
04-20-2018, 7:38 AM
Mike

For $130.00 they shouldn't be blemished like that. They may end up looking like that after a few years of use, but not brand new, out of the box. I would understand wanting to return them. You're paying Starrett prices, you should be able to expect Starrett quality.
They are however a tool, and as such I would be more concerned with the function of the tool, but that is me. Still, I would have returned them also.

Steve Rozmiarek
04-20-2018, 8:36 AM
Are the graduations etched in, or just printed? That's an expensive rule, you pay a premium for the right to be picky. Gotta ask, why not just buy Starrett?

Andrew Pitonyak
04-20-2018, 10:21 AM
I just want to clarify. You have two complaints about the Stainless versions.

You can see scratch like marks that are visible under the correct light.
The ruler is very shiny, which makes it more difficult to read at times.

Simon MacGowen
04-20-2018, 10:52 AM
Blemished tools should be sold at a discounted price. I would contact WP with photos and offer them two options: a full return and refund, or a partial refund (discount). I wouldn't want a third delivery (attempt) since this is just a steel rule and if you could live without it during all your woodworking life, it could just be a nice-to-have tool and the purchase experience has not been nice so far.

When I buy a new car, I expect no scratches on the body at the time of delivery, though I know in a few weeks or months, other inconsiderate drivers (or passengers) would cause scratches to it when they bang their doors on my car. Would I go through all the trouble of returning my car, waiting for a replacement, etc, just because of some minor scratches? It depends. I probably won't, but will ask the car dealership to give me something, like some car accessories or what not as compensation (it would be close to being impossible to get some money back based on my experience). For this rule or a high-end plane, I will keep it and use it, provided the seller is willing to do something back as a gesture. You can make it a win-win story assuming the seller is willing to meet you half way.

Simon

Steve Demuth
04-20-2018, 11:20 AM
These show up if the light hits the blemishes. I used my fingernail and you can't feel them. On the other rules the blemishes run the length of the rule so not at noticeable. Looks like the base metal was not finished correctly?

Mike

Sure looks like machine marks that we not fully removed during product finishing to me (which is to say, they look exactly like the machine marks I routinely overlook when I'm finishing something, and then bang my forehead later when I discover them). They shouldn't be there in a new in the box, premium-priced product. Woodpeckers is all about hand-made-to-perfection-for-a-premium-price (need a word for that), so that's what they should deliver.

Nick Decker
04-20-2018, 12:31 PM
Simple solution, call 'em up. I can't imagine Woodpeckers wouldn't make it right, especially if it's the second time it's happened.

Ellen Benkin
04-20-2018, 1:18 PM
Since I question Woodpecker prices and "one time" sales I would demand perfection. No question about that. Either get a rule with no blemishes or your money back.

Frederick Skelly
04-20-2018, 1:20 PM
I would return it. They charge top buck. It needs to be top quality when it arrives. You are not paying BORG prices here.

I bought a red anodized rule and stop from them. The stop arrived with a chip in the finish. WP immediately replaced it. No muss. No fuss. Call them and Im sure they will help you.

(And if they dont, buy rules from Lee Valley or Carbide Processors next time.)

Fred

Mike Goetzke
04-20-2018, 3:43 PM
They will send out another set after I send the two sets I have on hand back. They don’t trust me.

will report back when I get the new set

andrew whicker
04-20-2018, 5:09 PM
They just gave the other one for free and didn't ask you to ship it back?

Mike Goetzke
04-20-2018, 7:51 PM
They just gave the other one for free and didn't ask you to ship it back?

No, they won’t ship the third set till they get the other two sets back. Thinking now of just asking for a full refund.

Carlos Alvarez
04-20-2018, 9:04 PM
Do they work?

And do you have other shop tools with a perfect surface after use?

I guess I look at it the way many people look at a new dirt bike. Look forward to the first crash so you can stop worrying about scratching it. One friend took his and threw it into first gear while standing next to it and just let it go.

Derek Cohen
04-20-2018, 10:03 PM
Just a comment, really more about purchasing steel rules than just about this one ...

The ONLY ones that work for me are those with a matte finish. My Starrett combination blades are all matte. Shiny is hard to read, and bright stainless steel would fall in this category. Personally, I do not care that much about a few scratches - although it would irk for a while when straight out of the box - because tools acquire stratches quite quickly in use. These are low level scratches and generally merge into the background against a matte finish.

I would return the rule you have and purchase a Starrett in matte.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Mike Goetzke
04-20-2018, 10:31 PM
These have a matte finish but the flawed areas are shinny.

Oh, I’m old enough (I mean experienced) enough to know the rules will get scratched but I want to do that myself.

Nick Decker
04-21-2018, 7:43 AM
No, they won’t ship the third set till they get the other two sets back. Thinking now of just asking for a full refund.

Maybe I'm confused, but it sounds like you've paid for one set and now have two sets? From the WP perspective, I'd want those two (flawed) sets back before sending out another set. If the third set doesn't make you happy, then send it back and you get a refund, including shipping. Seems fair to me.

I have mixed feelings about WP. They are expensive, but they make good stuff. The cost of actually manufacturing things in this country is why most things come from Asia these days. Is all of Starrett's stuff still made in this country?

Mike Goetzke
04-21-2018, 8:30 AM
Maybe I'm confused, but it sounds like you've paid for one set and now have two sets? From the WP perspective, I'd want those two (flawed) sets back before sending out another set. If the third set doesn't make you happy, then send it back and you get a refund, including shipping. Seems fair to me.

I have mixed feelings about WP. They are expensive, but they make good stuff. The cost of actually manufacturing things in this country is why most things come from Asia these days. Is all of Starrett's stuff still made in this country?

They gave me a return label for the first set when I got the second...and so on.

Nick Decker
04-21-2018, 8:49 AM
OK, sounds like they'd like the flawed ones back before sending out more. Still confused about where the problem is.

Steve Rozmiarek
04-21-2018, 10:19 AM

Derek

Me too Derek.

Mike Henderson
04-21-2018, 1:05 PM

Regards from Perth

Derek

I have several 6" rules I purchased from Lee Valley some years ago and they were about $10 each. They are matt finish and accurate. I would recommend them highly.

Mike

glenn bradley
04-21-2018, 4:18 PM
Here is photo for reference:

Mike

I’ve had 2nds from PEC that look better than that. It may be unreasonable to expect perfection but when I pay a premium price I expect something handled with kid gloves until delivered.

Mike Null
04-21-2018, 5:07 PM
I’ve had 2nds from PEC that look better than that.

My thought exactly.

CPeter James
04-21-2018, 5:39 PM
I have old Starrett that look better than that! For a premium price, I want premium tools!
CPeter

Simon MacGowen
04-21-2018, 9:20 PM
I have half a dozen 6" stainless steel rules (matte finish) that cost me a few bucks at the most each. They have metric and imperial on one side and a conversion table on the other, something like this https://www.amazon.co.uk/150mm-Stainless-Steel-Metal-Ruler/dp/B004K7KKH2

Unless I am missing something, why the heck would a 6" ss rule cost over $100?

Those cheapos are good for Charlesworth's "ruler trick" if you do use such trick.

Simon

Mike Henderson
04-21-2018, 11:02 PM
I have half a dozen 6" stainless steel rules (matte finish) that cost me a few bucks at the most each. They have metric and imperial on one side and a conversion table on the other, something like this https://www.amazon.co.uk/150mm-Stainless-Steel-Metal-Ruler/dp/B004K7KKH2

Unless I am missing something, why the heck would a 6" ss rule cost over $100?

Those cheapos are good for Charlesworth's "ruler trick" if you do use such trick.

Simon

The PEC blem 4R 6" rules are $6.99 right now on eBay with free shipping. That's less than I paid for my LV rules.

Mike

Derek Cohen
04-22-2018, 1:27 AM
I have an 18" PEC blade for a Starrett combo. Excellent quality.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Simon MacGowen
04-22-2018, 12:07 PM
That is even cheaper than those from Harry J. Epstein.

This ebay seller also offers brand new 6" rules at $1.99 apiece plus $2 shipping ($1 afterwards).

Simon

Carlos Alvarez
04-22-2018, 5:00 PM
Hmm, I just went to set up my new Woodpecker's drill press table kit, and found that the table has 1.3mm of warp. Not a huge amount, but seems like it could cause some small angle issues. Cosmetically though everything I bought was beautiful.

Nick Decker
04-22-2018, 5:33 PM
I seem to recall a thread not too long ago about a WP drill press table being warped. Also seem to recall that they replaced it.

Carlos Alvarez
04-22-2018, 5:42 PM
I seem to recall a thread not too long ago about a WP drill press table being warped. Also seem to recall that they replaced it.

I will get in touch with them tomorrow and see what they want to do.

Mike Goetzke
05-02-2018, 3:48 PM
Just an update - I sent back the two sets of rules that had the scratches and called to let them know and was told the process used to finish the stainless leaves occasional scratches so requested a refund.

Mike

Carlos Alvarez
05-02-2018, 3:54 PM
I guess I should post an update also. I e-mailed them on Monday, got a quick answer, and they shipped out another table a couple days later that had been hand-checked for flatness. All they asked for were some photos of the problem so they could understand what went wrong and check the rest of the stock.

John Sanford
05-02-2018, 8:30 PM
hand-made-to-perfection-for-a-premium-price (need a word for that)

There is a word for that:
Bespoke

Nick Decker
05-03-2018, 6:13 AM
Just an update - I sent back the two sets of rules that had the scratches and called to let them know and was told the process used to finish the stainless leaves occasional scratches so requested a refund.

Mike

In that case, WP needs to rethink their finishing process or sell the scratched ones as blems.