PDA

View Full Version : Sharpening Water Setup

David Ragan
04-19-2018, 7:45 PM
Hi,

I've always hated those little pump garden sprayers on my bench.

It doesn't last very long when you pump it up.

There's the squeeze types-nozzle outlet @ the top; then the laboratory kind w nozzle coming from the side.

All those have little resevior-plus they take up space.

So, after so much thinking about it, I came up w this (like most of my ideas, probably been done way before)-but, here it is:

(Start @ the bottom)

Then, some air hose coil is great for retractability

This is the same handle/gun, without the long spray head.

The tygon tube @ end of spray handle wont mar anything, and dampens the stream.

Had to patch in some extra hose

This was about $15-I wound up putting Teflon tape on all the seals to prevent major leaking.

It's in the bucket to give stability.

One good pumping session lasts all weekend:)

Jim Koepke
04-19-2018, 8:28 PM
One of my plans was to use a 2 gallon per hour drip irrigation spray head from my garden supplies.

Too much work, just use a spray bottle and a gallon milk jug.

jtk

Stanley Covington
04-20-2018, 1:59 AM
Hi,

I've always hated those little pump garden sprayers on my bench.

It doesn't last very long when you pump it up.

There's the squeeze types-nozzle outlet @ the top; then the laboratory kind w nozzle coming from the side.

All those have little resevior-plus they take up space.

So, after so much thinking about it, I came up w this (like most of my ideas, probably been done way before)-but, here it is:

(Start @ the bottom)

Then, some air hose coil is great for retractability

This is the same handle/gun, without the long spray head.

The tygon tube @ end of spray handle wont mar anything, and dampens the stream.

Had to patch in some extra hose

This was about $15-I wound up putting Teflon tape on all the seals to prevent major leaking.

It's in the bucket to give stability.

One good pumping session lasts all weekend:)

Looks like a vodka bottle on the floor. How does it work as a lubricant?

Brandon Speaks
04-20-2018, 8:31 AM
I just use a little plastic squeeze bottle, the kind some restaurants use for ketchup, seems to work well enough and it easy.

I do have a sink in my shop though that I can refill with, if it was a detached building with no plumbing I might look for another solution.

Warren West
04-20-2018, 12:13 PM
Reminds me of dad's parts washer, but his was an electric pump and moved much more fluid, but thinking about it, his setup would have made a wonderful waterstone sharpening station. Think 55 gallon drum cut in half. Quarter inch steel plating for the "floor" of it. Legs welded on and a playwood cover that would open up to allow access to it all.

Now that I think about it, it would make one heck of an oilstone sharpening station. Would have to dial the flow rate down a bit though.

Jim Koepke
04-20-2018, 12:16 PM
Now that I think about it, it would make one heck of an oilstone sharpening station. Would have to dial the flow rate down a bit though.

And maybe old coffee filters for filtering out the swarf.

jtk

David Ragan
04-20-2018, 3:53 PM
Oops

That jug is Everclear for shellac