PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a Drill Press

Mike Randall
04-19-2018, 11:25 AM
I'm looking for a bench top drill press in the $200-$250 range and considering the WEN 4214 12-Inch Variable Speed Drill Press (http://www.wenproducts.com/store/drill-press/12-inch-Variable-Speed-Drill-Press-4214). Anyone have thoughts on this model or other recommendations in that price range?

lowell holmes
04-19-2018, 1:16 PM
I went to the BORG, put my hands on the bench top drill press I wanted, and bought it home.

Mitchell Ristine
04-19-2018, 1:32 PM
I went to the BORG, put my hands on the bench top drill press I wanted, and bought it home.

Brand?
Model?
Cost?
Review?

lowell holmes
04-19-2018, 2:11 PM
Brand?
Model?
Cost?
Review?

It is a 12" Delta, hp is adequate. My review is I have had it for about 10 years and it is a good press.
You need to go to your purveyor of tools, handle them, make your choice, carry it home, and plug it in.

That's what I did.

Nick Decker
04-19-2018, 3:20 PM
In that price range, I'd be most concerned with the reputation of the customer service of the brand. They're pretty much all made in Asia now, unless you want to find a used one and restore it.

eric burns
04-19-2018, 4:06 PM
I just received my drill press last week, ended up going with one model down, the 4212. So far, I've had no issues with it except the top cover would rattle while running. I sandwiched a small piece of felt between the top and bottom cover to stop the rattle.

That belt-less speed change is pretty awesome, just turn a lever while running to adjust the speed, brilliant.

Mike Cutler
04-19-2018, 6:06 PM
Too fast for large bit's. Slowest speed is 580rpm. Other than that, I'm sure it's fine
I probably have the same drill press as Lowell, but 10+ years older. It's been a pretty reliable drill press actually, but it also is to fast. I will either be retrofitting it with a treadmill motor, and speed controller, or replacing it.
I've been scanning Craigslist for a heavy duty drill press, and an old working treadmill to make my own. We'll see where that takes me.

You need low RPM for larger Forstner bits. Metal work also requires some low speeds.

lowell holmes
04-19-2018, 6:24 PM
In that price range, I'd be most concerned with the reputation of the customer service of the brand. They're pretty much all made in Asia now, unless you want to find a used one and restore it.

At $110, if it fails, replace it. Mine is a good drill press.

Nick Decker
04-19-2018, 6:30 PM
Lowell, I didn't mean to imply that your drill press wasn't a good one. Mine is a cheap Craftsman, but it works fine for me. I guess that my point was is that there seems to be a sameness in most of them that I see at the low end.

Brandon Speaks
04-20-2018, 9:27 AM
I just got a Porter Cable 8-amp 12 speed floor press from Lowes for $399. I know its not a bench top and a little over your price range but I also originally was looking for something like what you stated when I found this. The extra $150 for me was worth it in this case, not sure what all your intended use is but thought I would throw it out there as something to consider. I have been very pleased with it so far.

Stan Calow
04-20-2018, 10:34 AM
I've had the Jet 12" bench top for a few years. Got it for variable speed controls. Laser is useless. But I would look closely at the metal table on whatever you get to see how you would attach an auxiliary table for woodworking. Without adding a table, clamping surfaces are inadequate for working on even the simplest things. Mine would require drilling the metal table to attach a table. I guess they just don't design them with woodworking needs in mind.

Don Jarvie
04-20-2018, 1:12 PM
Given you budget I would go used. An old Delta, Craftsman or Walker Turner are better choices. There all cast iron and the older motors are better than newer ones with equal horsepower.

i upgraded from my Craftsman radial DP to a 50’s Craftsman floor model and its night and day.

Mike Kees
04-21-2018, 9:47 AM
I would also suggest used or bigger.I bought a Delta 14 from the 90's this winter for 160. I had to replace the chuck key and repair the handles(loctite and helicoils). It was like new. ended up with about 220 in it. 12 speeeds ,floor model,great machine. Mike.

Mike Randall
04-21-2018, 9:52 AM
I just got a Porter Cable 8-amp 12 speed floor press from Lowes for $399. I know its not a bench top and a little over your price range but I also originally was looking for something like what you stated when I found this. The extra $150 for me was worth it in this case, not sure what all your intended use is but thought I would throw it out there as something to consider. I have been very pleased with it so far.

Thanks for the recommendation Brandon. As far as the intended use, I'm a beginner woodworker just starting out. I'm trying to fill my shop with equipment that allows me the best chance to see if this is a long-term hobby or not, while watching out for my budget. Thus, the $200-$250 price range.

Again, thanks for taking the time to respond.
-Mike

Mike Randall
04-21-2018, 9:57 AM
But I would look closely at the metal table on whatever you get to see how you would attach an auxiliary table for woodworking. Without adding a table, clamping surfaces are inadequate for working on even the simplest things. Mine would require drilling the metal table to attach a table. I guess they just don't design them with woodworking needs in mind.

Thanks Stan. I didn't even think about the metal table and auxiliary table as something to look at. What are the considerations I be looking for attaching the auxiliary table?

-Mike

Mike Randall
04-21-2018, 10:06 AM
Given you budget I would go used. An old Delta, Craftsman or Walker Turner are better choices. There all cast iron and the older motors are better than newer ones with equal horsepower.

i upgraded from my Craftsman radial DP to a 50’s Craftsman floor model and its night and day.

Thanks for the suggestion Don. I've considered used, and I understand that older models can be real workhorses compared to new. But as a true beginner, I don't know how to evaluate very well the condition and quality of a used one to see if I'm get a dog of a machine or not. I've gone to see a couple, and they plug it in, turn it on, the chuck spins and I think to myself "yep it's spinning, but is it going to be any good", and right now I don't have a answer for that.

Thanks again,
-Mike

Marshall Harrison
04-21-2018, 10:07 AM
Thanks Stan. I didn't even think about the metal table and auxiliary table as something to look at. What are the considerations I be looking for attaching the auxiliary table?

-Mike

Mike, there are lots of Youtube videos on making tables for a drill press. YOU can get as fancy as you want and you can also purchase new ones from Woodcraft or Rockler etc.

Things to look for include size, how it attaches, does it have t-tracks or a fence. Like I said if building one you can use your imagination and have it do whatever you want.

glenn bradley
04-21-2018, 10:19 AM
Thanks for the recommendation Brandon. As far as the intended use, I'm a beginner woodworker just starting out. I'm trying to fill my shop with equipment that allows me the best chance to see if this is a long-term hobby or not, while watching out for my budget. Thus, the $200-$250 price range.

Again, thanks for taking the time to respond.
-Mike

I restarted the craft after a 30 year hiatus. Like you I started small and cheap to be sure I was going to stick with it. I caught the bug again in a big way and except for some hand tools and a CMS out in the shed for trim work, I have nothing left of the tools I gathered in the first year. I would move ahead with an eye toward this likely possibility.

Think about the specific task you think you need a drill press for. I bought a small Delta, a set of cheap brad point bits and some sanding drums that fit in the drill press. With the exception of the drill press, none of this got much use. If the DP were not there it would not have stopped me from doing anything. It was not large, powerful or accurate enough to be of real value in making furniture. A cordless hand drill would have done as well except the large Forstner bits for me. This does not mean I do not value a drill press, I do. I still lust after a replacement for my 17" Delta but, there is little being offered that is enough better to justify the price.

My point is that if you have a specific set of tasks you know you need drill press in order to perform, seek a DP that will meet that need. If you are just getting one because everybody has one you may end up with something that only takes up space in your shop and makes room in your wallet. My CMS is a good example of this. I thought I had to have one because everyone seemed to have one. There are better ways for me to make those cuts and I don't chop enough long thin stock to get the advantage of a CMS where they shine.

If you just want to see what one will do for you, an inexpensive Harbor Freight DP won't be hard to part with if/when the time comes. There are folks on here who still run an inexpensive HF drill press and it meets all their needs. There is always a level that you do not want to go below lest you end up with a tool that is basically worthless and just takes up space. Some cheap machines can be downright dangerous.

In the end, when starting out (or restarting) I would spend with an eye toward eventual replacement. Use your "first blush" tools to learn what you do and do-not need from a machine and buy for life the second time. Enjoy the journey.

P.s. As to a woodworking table for a DP, I would make one. If the original Woodpecker version was still available I would recommend that. Most others I see today are good but, very basic. You could make one on a Saturday that meets your specific needs and will serve you for years.

Mike Randall
04-21-2018, 10:23 AM
Mike, there are lots of Youtube videos on making tables for a drill press. YOU can get as fancy as you want and you can also purchase new ones from Woodcraft or Rockler etc.

Things to look for include size, how it attaches, does it have t-tracks or a fence. Like I said if building one you can use your imagination and have it do whatever you want.

Thanks Marshall. As I'm just starting out, I'm taking the approach of building as much as I can myself as opposed to buying. My thinking is that through the research, design, and build, I am going to learn a great deal. It also gives me the chance to see what works and what doesn't, and if need be, make the next one.

The table size is 9 1/2 x 9 1/2. I've attached a picture of it.384337

Any feedback is much appreciated.

-Mike

Mike Randall
04-21-2018, 10:33 AM
In the end, when starting out (or restarting) I would spend with an eye toward eventual replacement. Use your "first blush" tools to learn what you do and do-not need from a machine and buy for life the second time. Enjoy the journey.

Wow Glenn, you must have been listening in on the conversation I had with my wife a couple of weeks ago. At this point, I don't know what my needs are and the only way to find out is to get some good, but basic tools and start building things. Then I can narrow down what type of woodworking interests me, is this a long-term journey, and what my needs are.

Thanks Glenn,
-Mike

Stan Calow
04-21-2018, 10:45 AM
Mike, I would be looking at the metal table to have through-slots which would allow you to pass bolts up to engage the auxiliary table. The auxiliary table I have, like most I've seen, has a t-track on the bottom into which bolts would go through the metal table to be tightened by knobs on the underside of the table. I just assumed that all DPs would have tables to accommodate attachments, or even have nice clamping surfaces. Not true.

My Jet metal table doesn't have slots or holes through it, which means I would have to drill them (not impossible, just annoying). The metal table has ridges and surfaces that limit where you could actually drill and is pretty small in relation to the size of the table I am attaching to it. When I place the auxiliary table on the metal table to see here holes would need to be (in relation to the t-track) the table is too far forward to give useful working space. I'll figure out how to make it work eventually. Right now, awkwardly clamping it is my only option.

I hope that makes sense.

Mike Randall
04-21-2018, 11:03 AM
Stan, it does make sense. Here's a picture of the table.

I'm assuming the through-slots you mentioned are the diagonal slots in the picture.

Mike Cutler
04-21-2018, 11:55 AM
Mike

The WEN is actually a pretty nice drill press. As I stated before it's too fast for large bits, but as the thread has developed, I can see that for the right now, that's not a priority for you.

Yes, a drill press table will affix to that cast iron table via the slots. The drill press table will be bolted, or screwed through those slots.
I have an Incra drill press table that has been on my drill press for 20+ years. I don't think Incra makes drill press tables any longer, which is too bad, because it really is a nice product. Do a search on Incra drill press table and I have the red one with a fence. The table and fence were twice as expensive as the drill press when I bought them both.
The needs of a drill press for wood working are different that one for metal working. Where "most" drill presses for metal working have a few different vises, a wood working drill press is better off with a fence, that has adjustable stops, so that holes can be drilled that are "repeatable". in a larger pieces of material.
In a metal shop, a "largish" piece of material would be drilled on the milling machine. The larger milling machine table offers more support, and the ability to drill accurately placed, repeatable, holes, is much greater on a milling machine, than a drill press. Adding a drill press table to a drill press for woodworking adds back this support. A fence and mechanical stops, adds back in the repeatability. Accuracy is up to the user.

When you do decide on a drill press, and add a table to it, try to accommodate, and maintain, the ability to use an X-Y sliding vise, and a drill press vise. You will want to drill into metal eventually and the cutting fluids necessary for that aren't really compatible with a wood working drill press table, which is generally made of some type of plywood.

I think that WEN drill press would last you a very long time and probably serve 95% plus of your needs, even if you don't stick with wood working. There are always little things around the house that need to be fixed and having the ability to drill an accurately placed hole, perpendicular to the face of any material, cannot be understated.
You'll know when it isn't serving your needs any longer for that 5%, and will probably be looking at a bench top milling machine, not another drill press. You'll also end up keeping that drill press. ;)

Matthew Hills
04-21-2018, 12:12 PM
Where are you located?

For my early projects to get stuff built for our new place, I borrowed a few tools from a buddy (a dewalt CMS and a bosch job site saw). These worked well reasonably well and gave me an idea of some of the tradeoffs for when I bought my own tools (e.g., I knew that I wanted more table in front of my tablesaw blade... and a standard miter slot)

I bought the same drill press that he had -- a 10" craftsman benchtop. I had always wanted one for miscellaneous work (e.g., putting holes in home-made printed circuit boards), and wasn't purchasing for any specific woodworking capability. For a lot of home-related projects, I still use my hand drills more often. The drill press has been really useful for a certain scale of carft-type projects, especially where I'm using a forstner bit for a bit hole or building in batches (prep work for cub scout woodworking projects). It has been excellent for this.

Runout is excellent -- better than what I've been finding on vintage drill presses. But maybe I just got lucky with this unit.
I clamp a plywood table with fence to the drill press table.
The table isn't great -- it is kind of small, and easy to bruise knuckles when trying to adjust the height (and often interferes with any clamps I'm using), and can flex a bit under pressure.

The laser that came with the drill press is not useful.
The drill press did not come with an extra light, but I have a big lamp mounted to my bench next to it. This is very useful if the drill press does not come with an accessory light.

Also, you will want to get some good bits.

Matt