PDA

View Full Version : What to look for in a Shop Vac?

Marshall Harrison
04-19-2018, 10:56 AM
I'll need to get some kind of dust collection going pretty fast as if all goes according to lan I'll be setting up my new table saw today or tomorrow and adding a jointer on Saturday. I figure hooking up one at a time to my tools is a good starting point and the shop vac will still be useful if/when I add a proper dust collector.

I was looking at the Rigid shop vacs from Home Depot and there is a varied assortment of them. So, what should I be looking for in selecting a shop vac?

Lee Schierer
04-19-2018, 11:14 AM
You want the highest level of suction you can get with the lowest noise level. Take a look at the Fein 9-20-27 TURBO I SET Turbo Set, a German-manufactured commercial vacuum cleaner. You’ll be glad to hear that this shop vac comes at a noise level of just 66 decibels.

Nick Decker
04-19-2018, 11:46 AM
That Fein Turbo I is exactly what I use for a shop vac. The only difference in that and the Turbo II, as I recall, is that the Turbo II has more dust capacity. Mine is hooked up to a Dust Deputy (highly recommended), so I never worry about bag capacity or the high cost of bags.

The Fein is very quiet and has great suck. It has that feature that's supposed to turn the vac on when you turn the tool on, but I've never used it. I've heard that there is an amp limit to the tools you can use with that feature, so something like a table saw might overload it. I just control mine with a cheap remote to avoid finding out.

I know some people swear by the Ridgid vacs, but they're too loud for me and don't suck as well.

All that said, I'm not sure you'll have good luck using a shop vac of any kind with a jointer.

Cary Falk
04-19-2018, 11:55 AM
Large capacity. I have a 12 gallon Ridgid that I got for $25 after Thanksgiving sale many years ago and it is still going strong. It is going to fill up fast. If you can swing it I think you would be better served with the Harbor Freight 2hp 70 gal DC.

David Utterback
04-19-2018, 12:59 PM
I agree with the suggestions above, especially going ahead with the purchase of a dust collector. The 2 machines have quite different needs for dust collection. The table saw will likely require a higher air volume since there are multiple openings in housing. The jointer will produce a lot more dust so capacity becomes a greater concern. To get both, you would need a dust collector. Hope this helps.

Rod Sheridan
04-19-2018, 1:07 PM
If I were buying a shop vac I would want the following

- low noise

- HEPA certification

- auto start

- variable speed (suction)

I wouldn't consider a shop vac as being suitable for either a jointer or table saw. Shop vacs have low airflow at high static pressures. They're built for vacuuming, or collecting dust from small hand held power tools.\

To me, compactness and portability are far more important in a shop vacuum than large cubic capacity as I use the shop vacuum for vacuuming and use with portable tools which don't generate a lot of dust.

For a jointer of tablesaw you'll need far more airflow than you can get from a vacuum, you'll need a dust collector for that. I use an Oneida cyclone with a 35 gallon drum, you would be surprised how fast that fills up when planning or jointing. My saw requires about 700CFM for dust collection, I would need a few shop vacuums to generate that much airflow.

That's why shops have both............Rod.

Lisa Starr
04-19-2018, 1:25 PM
If it is a "temporary" set-up consider the HF 1-HP dust collector. It is little more money than the bigger Shop-Vacs and much more likely to keep up with the table saw. I have one that I move from machine to machine. It works fairly well.

richard poitras
04-19-2018, 1:27 PM
A lot of people are making noise reduction cabinets for the cheaper louder vac's and they can also double for a stand for some tools. I would also recommend a Dust Deputy with the vacuum they work great.

lowell holmes
04-19-2018, 2:17 PM
Well, I went to Home Depot, picked one out, brought it home, put it to work and it lasted until Hurricane Harvey drowned it.
The replacement came from Lowe's, same scenario. I don't think buying a shop vac deserve the same attention as buying a tablesaw.:)

Dustin Bullard
04-19-2018, 2:58 PM
I have had a rigid shop vac for almost a decade and it's great for around the house stuff but for sanding and really fine dust it really lacks meaningful filtration even with the optional HEPA filter. If you plan on always wearing a respirator it will probably be just fine. If your plan is to use your shop vac in lieu of a respirator you will quickly find yourself wanting something stronger with better filtration. The Fein has a 1 micron option and a you can get a HEPA model I would strongly suggest the buy once cry once mantra here and get something you will use long term...

I'll also second that any shopvac is going to leave you wanting with larger power tools. You will definitely want to look into a proper dust collector for big machines... For big chips a HF Dust Collector might be your best bet...

Nick Decker
04-19-2018, 3:10 PM
I see that the Fusion has a 4" dust port. That doesn't mean you can just put a 2.5" adaptor on it and use a shop vac, believe me. It also needs at least 500 cfm of suck. Again, no way with a shop vac.

I'm using a 1 hp dust collector rated at 625 cfm on my SawStop PCS. Although SawStop says I only need 350 cfm, it doesn't keep up. I'm considering other options.

Aside from worrying about your health and sweeping up dust, you need to consider the dust buildup in the cabinet, gumming up the machinery in there.

richard poitras
04-19-2018, 3:35 PM
I have had a rigid shop vac for almost a decade and it's great for around the house stuff but for sanding and really fine dust it really lacks meaningful filtration even with the optional HEPA filter.

If you use one of the Dust Deputys you don't get the fine dust in your filter..

Robin Dobbie
04-19-2018, 3:59 PM
I have the Fein mentioned above, and I can say it's very powerful. If there exists a device which could suck the proverbial golf ball through a garden hose, it's the Fein Turbo.

The Fein Turbo is also thirsty for power. This is especially true if you use its built-in sensing outlet. So like with any new tool addition, tally up all the expected current drains from everything else on the breaker that you think you'll be using simultaneously. Fein claims the Turbo uses 9 amps at 120v, but mine uses at least 10.5 amps sustained at 122v with just the hose attached. At least according to my kill-a-watt. Who knows how accurate that is.

The other issue with the Fein is the hose. The vac has a 2.29" opening, but the hose is 1.4" or so(measured from the outside) and chokes down to 1.215" or something. Not even worth considering to pick up jointer shavings, at least with the stock hose. And I'm not sure how well a hose twice the size would do. Depends on your jointer width and workpieces? To be honest, I stopped trying to vacuum jointer shavings. The jointer deposits shavings in a sort of pile on the exit side of the jointer, so I just scoop them up periodically. I suppose it depends on how much you're doing and how picky you are about fine dust collection. My jointer has a 4" port, and I imagine effective, reliable collection would absolutely need that. I don't believe any portable vac could support a hose that large to get a decent CFM. But that's just my opinion, I'm not any kind of expert.

rudy de haas
04-19-2018, 4:22 PM
Two things:

1 - a long cord. I have a shop vac brand unit with a short cord, big mnistake.

2 - whether you can reliably get new filters. My first shop vac, (not a shop vac branded product) from costco for cheap, worked well and still does, but the filter it came with is the the filter it still has because no replacements fit. An earlier mistake.

Don Kondra
04-19-2018, 4:55 PM
IMO a shop vac is useless without a Dust Deputy. Otherwise the filter clogs quite quickly :)

I purchased the largest rated CFM Shop Vac brand @ 195 cfm, the actual size of the bin isn't important because the dust goes in the pail..

The original castors attach to outriggers which makes the footprint a little large so I installed it on a cart.

Cheers, Don

Josh Kocher
04-19-2018, 4:59 PM
HEPA, automatic starting, quality build are my top 3.

Variable suction is great, but not a deal breaker... I rarely turn mine down.

If I was buying a shop vac today, I'd likely get that hepa Fein vac. Or possibly another Festool vac.

But as had been said, it isn't going to be very effective with your saw or jointer...

I get it, you want to buy something that will get your started and work into the future, and you really do ultimately need a good shop vac. But I'd also be looking at fast-tracking a proper DC purchase with effective filtration/separation soon.

You really do need it, the shop vac won't cut it.

Larry Edgerton
04-19-2018, 5:12 PM
The cost of the bags for me. Its why I don't use Festool or Fein vacs.

Don Kondra
04-19-2018, 5:25 PM
Shop Vac @ $160 on sale, Dust Deputy @ $150 vs Festool @ ~ $1000 :)

Put the savings toward a dust collector !

Cheers, Don

Ole Anderson
04-19-2018, 6:04 PM
Any Shop Vac (brand) I ever got had the bearings go bad in short order. You know, that terrible growl you hear after you turn it off and it spools down? I picked up a well rated 12 gallon 5.5 hp (haha) Craftsman and have been very happy with it. $75. Long cord, filters fine (I use it mainly when sanding) and it will propel itself across the floor it blows so hard. And at that price, you can put the money aside that you save by not buying a Fein and put it toward a good dust collection system. I use it for winterizing my spa, the drain plug helps there. Pair it with a $40 iSocket auto switch and you are good to go with your sander, router or corded drill for your Kreg jig.

http://www.sears.com/craftsman-xsp-12-gallon-5.5-peak-hp-wet-dry/p-00912006000P?sid=IDx01192011x202447059&gclid=Cj0KCQjw_ODWBRCTARIsAE2_EvX4ofTzKNgYDrgzzO32 3Hnh9tqIRf_8JEwMjqe3W9ptVozE1epgPqkaAipwEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds&dclid=CIHMg6iux9oCFUnbwAodH-QH2g (https://www.googleadservices.com/pagead/aclk?sa=L&ai=DChcSEwjrh6TzqsfaAhUQkWkKHdraA6IYABAhGgJpcQ&ohost=www.google.com&cid=CAESEeD297L1QOBtOLmSjHn9BQBj&sig=AOD64_0zNYOm3WiGmVM_DRP4Ob6-l0zTzA&ctype=5&q=&ved=0ahUKEwjY_53zqsfaAhUNbawKHQLSD3wQ9aACCKYC&adurl=)

http://www.rockler.com/i-socket-110m-tool-and-vacuum-switch?sid=V9146?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_term=&utm_content=pla&utm_campaign=PL&gclid=Cj0KCQjw_ODWBRCTARIsAE2_EvUmILz1XONM4kdpQnEv wtth7Q2F8I2d5sRPW-0iozr5PchJKcQyrZYaAnqDEALw_wcB

https://encrypted-tbn2.gstatic.com/shopping?q=tbn:ANd9GcS4-zA80urUKOV5eVe0jQhLhRBlnSmqPbkEUMP9FvR4OyX7iks7fFn XsEUq11lpXT2YCSMpcUQ&usqp=CAchttps://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/shopping?q=tbn:ANd9GcQWsMSlu3lZBJx6TaayLEsGplyKCrH KkWOVIvguHeJd9HVPnb3EScGqMOWcwyw&usqp=CAc

Nick Decker
04-19-2018, 6:15 PM
My Fein Turbo sits on a shelf, right next to the Dust Deputy. A 20' Rockler hose reaches anything it needs to in the shop, so the unusual Fein hose size isn't a factor. Because of the Dust Deputy, I've never had to change a bag or filter, both are pristine.

Dustin Bullard
04-19-2018, 6:30 PM
I think something worth pointing out is that the Fein Turbo 1 starts at $250... Filters out to 1 micron out of the gate and can be upgraded with a HEPA filter has auto start/stop for your tools and more suction than any shop vac (static pressure is the real measure of suction, not CFM numbers which are always flubbed.... Fein is 98", Festool is 96" a 6.5HP Shop vac is around 60" )

The more expensive 60"+ Static Pressure Shop Vacs are all $150-180+

Yes the Fein vac requires bags but if you are using it for sawdust you will probably find that they bags last a lot longer than you would expect... (I'm 8 months into my first CT36 bag used exclusively for sanding, routing and my SCMS and its still only about half full)... A Dust Extractor is not for cleaning the shop floor or hooking up to 4" machinery...

I would definitely look at a dust extractor for small tools and a small dust collector for big chips from things like band saws, jointers, planers and table saws.

glenn bradley
04-19-2018, 7:05 PM
I have two of the Ridgid vacs where the blower comes off for the supposed use as a yard vac/blower. This makes adaption/reduction of the vac very simple. A Dust Deputy and a Clean Stream filter are a must IMHO.

The prototype that won't die.

Version 2.

One is the full shop vac for floors and powered hand tools. the other handles DP, smaller bandsaw and what-not. The Dust Deputy captures so much of the dust that I only clean the filter and empty about a 1/4 cup of spoil out of the wooden box every 6 months or so.

Robin Dobbie
04-19-2018, 7:33 PM

Shopvac bags are crappy paper, Fein bags are fleece or something. You can definitely empty and reuse them a few times. I put a zipper on mine, but it doesn't close easily. I keep meaning to make some sticks with v-grooves in them that screw together to clamp the bag bottom closed.

Josh Groen
04-19-2018, 8:22 PM
My Laguna fusion f3 is connected to a 16 gal. Shop vac and it does a pretty mediocre job. A true dust collector is needed for proper dust control.
As far as shop vacs go, don't worry about on board plugs. They are amp limited to pretty much sanders. Look into an i-socket autoswitch to use with any vac instead.

Steve Rozmiarek
04-19-2018, 8:59 PM
I use a festool almost daily for "delicate" work. Wonderful vac, absolutely zero wrong with it, except the price. Also use a throwaway vac for the nasty jobs, ie lathe and plaster. They usually don't last long, never spend more than $100. Currently it's a Dewalt, and I'm rather impressed by it. I think it'll last longer than usual. Motor bearings failing is what gets most of them. I'd recommend either of those. I've never been impressed by a Shop Vac or Craftsman brand vac, but I've definitely not tried them all.

Marshall Harrison
04-19-2018, 9:32 PM
Looks like I may need to rethink this dust thing. maybe get one of the Harbor Freight dust collectors. The specs for the F2 says a minimum of 500 CFM is required. The HF 1 HP is 660 CFM and the 2 HP is 1550 CFM.

Ray Newman
04-19-2018, 10:48 PM
Beware of the Harbor Fright dust collectors. While the ads claim: "Collect dirt, dust and debris as tiny as 5 microns with this dust collector." Five micros is not tiny, it is large.

WYNN makes some very efficient filters for units such as the Harbor Freight dust collectors, but they cost almost as much as the dust collector. Dust collection is nothing to scrimp on.

https://wynnenv.com/woodworking-filters/desired-filter-efficiency/

Alex Zeller
04-19-2018, 11:57 PM
I have a 2hp Reliant dust collector I got from my brother in law for free. But it's pretty heavy and I have it stored upstairs in my garage. It's also needs a 30 amp outlet if it's wired for 120v. I cut up a bunch of bowl blanks on my bandsaw and didn't want to mess with connecting it up so I used my 10 year old Rigid vet vac. It's the largest one they sold at the time. I made it so the vac hose is sucking directly on the lower blade guide, maybe an inch below the table. The vac got about 2/3 to 3/4 of the sawdust. Once I move the bandsaw to the garage I'll connect up the dust collector. For now I would say that a wet vac is better than nothing but I don't see it being a great long term solution.

Brandon Thill
04-20-2018, 4:26 AM
If I were getting a dust extractor I think I'd get the Makita, did very well here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q3OTFdvp000. OTOH for smaller tools my Ridgid 1450 with HEPA has been a really solid machine (and for all around shop vac duties). Not quiet, but coming from my 15 year old Craftsman screamer, it a relief. If you need a stopgap machine, it will work well enough I think.

Curt Harms
04-20-2018, 7:22 AM

Shop Vac drywall bags will fit Fein vacs. It's what I have in mine.

Marshall Harrison
04-20-2018, 8:34 AM
If I were getting a dust extractor I think I'd get the Makita, did very well here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q3OTFdvp000. OTOH for smaller tools my Ridgid 1450 with HEPA has been a really solid machine (and for all around shop vac duties). Not quiet, but coming from my 15 year old Craftsman screamer, it a relief. If you need a stopgap machine, it will work well enough I think.

Thanks Brandon. That was a very interesting video and the Makita only lost 1st place because they liked the longer warranty on the Hildi.

Cary Falk
04-20-2018, 8:49 AM
Beware of the Harbor Fright dust collectors. While the ads claim: "Collect dirt, dust and debris as tiny as 5 microns with this dust collector." Five micros is not tiny, it is large.

WYNN makes some very efficient filters for units such as the Harbor Freight dust collectors, but they cost almost as much as the dust collector. Dust collection is nothing to scrimp on.

https://wynnenv.com/woodworking-filters/desired-filter-efficiency/

You can get a 1um felt bag from Amazon for <$30. I put some on my friends 3hp 4 bagger. https://www.amazon.com/POWERTEC-70001-Collector-20-Inch-31-Inch/dp/B005VSAP74/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1524228124&sr=8-1&keywords=powertec+dust+collector+bags

Never walk into Harbor Freight without a 20% coupon. https://www.harborfreight.com/digitalsavings.html

Stan Calow
04-20-2018, 10:37 AM
Not a solution for everyone, but I have picked up a few small 1-2 gal shop vacs at garage/estate sales for minimal $, and just keep them semi-permanently attached to specific tools. I dont like dragging the big one with dust deputy around the shop for a quick sanding job, for example.

Dustin Bullard
04-20-2018, 11:12 AM
If you can spring for the 2hp model, there are tons of threads all over the internet about people modifying them with separators and upgraded filters. (HERE (https://imgur.com/a/HNACPT6) is a link to what mine looks like after making a separator and adding a proper filter)

For large chips, from big machines like planers and lathes you will probably find it adequate but for sanding and working with stuff like MDF you *NEED* to upgrade the filter bag or you end up with a device that pumps fine dust into the shop. There are other options out there but for the money the HF 2HP collector (with a 20% off coupon) is a hard to beat.

Edwin Santos
04-20-2018, 12:47 PM
Hi,
My Fein vac is possibly the most used tool in my shop. And I have been using the same bag since I got it four years ago, and will probably continue using the one bag for at least a few more years.
How?
To Fein's credit, the bags are very well made, and what I do is disconnect the full bag, and in the course of sixty seconds, I gently shake it out into my dust collector and then re-install the now empty bag. I heard about someone who cuts an incision in the bag to empty it and then re-tapes the incision with duct tape but I found that unnecessary. With some gentle shaking, the bag will empty through the connection hole. If it's full of handplane shavings it can require some coaxing, but sawdust is easy. Sometimes I'm not in the mood to open the dust collector bin, so I will empty into a concise little mountain on the floor and suck it up with the DC hose that connects to the bandsaw.
Perhaps Fein would not like to hear this story if they wish to sell bags, so don't tell them.

I feel the Fein vac was worth every penny. I don't use the track saw, router, biscuit joiner, Kreg jig, or ROS without it. Mine is the prior generation now discontinued. I do not know whether the current models are better or worse, or the same.
Edwin

Robin Dobbie
04-20-2018, 5:52 PM
If I ever mess with a full-on dust collector, I might take Bill Pentz' advice and do two specific things:

1. minimum 3, ideally 5hp motor from a quality manufacturer. No Harbor Freight.

2. Blow the dust outside, don't attempt to filter it.

To Fein's credit, the bags are very well made, and what I do is disconnect the full bag, and in the course of sixty seconds, I gently shake it out into my dust collector and then re-install the now empty bag. I heard about someone who cuts an incision in the bag to empty it and then re-tapes the incision with duct tape but I found that unnecessary.

Mmm, it just depends on what you're vacuuming. I didn't have much success emptying their bags without cutting a wider opening. Fine dust only? Sure. As soon as any chips, shavings, chunks, what-have-you got involved, it clogged up the tiny 1.5" opening. Even if it was just fine dust, shaking the bag for a whole minute deposits fine dust everywhere. Just my experience. Whatever works for you.

Larry Edgerton
04-20-2018, 6:57 PM
I use a festool almost daily for "delicate" work. Wonderful vac, absolutely zero wrong with it, except the price. Also use a throwaway vac for the nasty jobs, ie lathe and plaster. They usually don't last long, never spend more than $100. Currently it's a Dewalt, and I'm rather impressed by it. I think it'll last longer than usual. Motor bearings failing is what gets most of them. I'd recommend either of those. I've never been impressed by a Shop Vac or Craftsman brand vac, but I've definitely not tried them all.

Thats where I am at with it too Steve, not a hobby and use about 30-50 bags a year on site. I have a Festool in the shop as well, but I also have a dust collector that does all the heavy lifting, Festool in just for sanding/Domino. I buy the Shop Vac "Professional" models, mostly because of my location. Every hardware in the country has ShopVac bags if I run out.

Steve Rozmiarek
04-21-2018, 10:16 AM
Thats where I am at with it too Steve, not a hobby and use about 30-50 bags a year on site. I have a Festool in the shop as well, but I also have a dust collector that does all the heavy lifting, Festool in just for sanding/Domino. I buy the Shop Vac "Professional" models, mostly because of my location. Every hardware in the country has ShopVac bags if I run out.

Larry, that's an excellent point about the bags availability, ShopVac is everywhere. The local store where I bought the Dewalt I mentioned, didn't even have any bags in stock, the usual "we can order them"

Charles Coolidge
04-21-2018, 11:11 AM
Rigid, I have a stainless 16 gallon Rigid that is MUCH quieter than my previous Shop-Vac. And the old Rigid I had prior to the Shop-Vac was LOUD as hell so loud I dreaded using it. The newer quieter Rigid is far less offensive, I'm sensitive to loudness and have been happy with the Rigid.

Marshall Harrison
04-21-2018, 2:24 PM
Rigid, I have a stainless 16 gallon Rigid that is MUCH quieter than my previous Shop-Vac. And the old Rigid I had prior to the Shop-Vac was LOUD as hell so loud I dreaded using it. The newer quieter Rigid is far less offensive, I'm sensitive to loudness and have been happy with the Rigid.

Thanks for the info Charles. I may use it to clean the ashes out of my Big Green Egg so metal would be nice.

Nick Decker
04-21-2018, 2:28 PM
Uh, I doubt any bags are made out of metal...

Marshall Harrison
04-21-2018, 3:10 PM
Agreed. I was assuming that the stainless 16 gallon tank Rigid was bagless. And I would wait until the fire was out but metal would be good for the rare possibility of a still lit ember.

Charles Coolidge
04-21-2018, 3:28 PM
Agreed. I was assuming that the stainless 16 gallon tank Rigid was bagless. And I would wait until the fire was out but metal would be good for the rare possibility of a still lit ember.

The tank is metal but the whole top end is plastic, inlet/outlet plastic, filter not sure if that's flammable. Rushing air and lib embers probably not a good combination.

Curt Harms
04-22-2018, 10:49 AM
Looks like I may need to rethink this dust thing. maybe get one of the Harbor Freight dust collectors. The specs for the F2 says a minimum of 500 CFM is required. The HF 1 HP is 660 CFM and the 2 HP is 1550 CFM.

Those HF CFM numbers were likely measured with little or no restriction on the intake and no filters(!).

Nick Decker
04-22-2018, 12:36 PM
Those HF CFM numbers were likely measured with little or no restriction on the intake and no filters(!).

Agreed. Companies that list honest specs on stuff like that are the exception. I bought a 1 hp unit (not HF) and dearly regret it. This is definitely one of those tools that you can end up buying more times than necessary.

Dan Hahr
04-22-2018, 2:03 PM
It's hard for me to beat HD price on their big Rigid 16 gallon 6.5 HP vac/blower. They come with a lifetime warranty. I spent 99 buck on one 15 years ago and have gone through 3. Its a shame, but their switches were junk for a while. The current one is much more robust. It's no fine piece of machinery, but for sucking up dirt, sawdust, water, leaves, etc. it's been hard to beat.
Dan

Randall J Cox
04-22-2018, 4:48 PM
I am on my second Fein, a Turbo II. First one lasted 15 years. Also use a dust deputy with it. It works. This is in addition to my 2 hp central dust collection unit. Randy

Edwin Santos
04-22-2018, 5:19 PM
I am on my second Fein, a Turbo II. First one lasted 15 years. Also use a dust deputy with it. It works. This is in addition to my 2 hp central dust collection unit. Randy

Hi,
If your new one is the new design with the flat top that replaced the old discontinued model, how do you feel the two models compare?
Edwin

Nick Decker
04-22-2018, 5:31 PM
Edwin, I never had the old version, so I can't compare them, but I can tell you that the flat area on the top of the new one is a handy area to keep various attachments. I don't use any "stock" Fein attachments, so the ones I do use don't fit into the slots/hooks on the sides.

Dave Sabo
04-22-2018, 8:41 PM
Marshall - I echo the other fellas that say you can't meet both needs with a vacuum. If you're going to get one though, that Fein is good value and will be great for later on when you want to hook up a sander, biscuit joiner, router, ect...

I'd also give this guy a call and get down there as fast as you can if it's still available. You won't do better for the money.

https://staugustine.craigslist.org/tls/d/delta-dust-collector-15hp/6526935182.html

there's also one listed in Smyrna Beach too.

A fella in Tallahassee has a 2hp Grizzly reasonably priced and I know that's an easy drive from you.

https://tallahassee.craigslist.org/tls/d/woodworking-equipment/6560782971.html

Marshall Harrison
04-22-2018, 9:44 PM
Marshall - I echo the other fellas that say you can't meet both needs with a vacuum. If you're going to get one though, that Fein is good value and will be great for later on when you want to hook up a sander, biscuit joiner, router, ect...

I'd also give this guy a call and get down there as fast as you can if it's still available. You won't do better for the money.

https://staugustine.craigslist.org/tls/d/delta-dust-collector-15hp/6526935182.html

there's also one listed in Smyrna Beach too.

A fella in Tallahassee has a 2hp Grizzly reasonably priced and I know that's an easy drive from you.

https://tallahassee.craigslist.org/tls/d/woodworking-equipment/6560782971.html

Thanks Dave. I emailed the guy in Elkton to see if its still available. If it is I'll buy it. It would make a good start on a dust collection system that I can build on later.

I just checked CL a couple of days ago and that didn't show up even though it says it was posted about a month ago. My CL foo has been real bad lately. Hopefully its still available

Dave Sabo
04-23-2018, 8:13 PM
M - that Grizz over in Tally would be worth the drive over. Assuming it’s not trashed. It might even have a canister filter too, I can’t remember.

Bill Jobe
04-23-2018, 10:06 PM
I bought a 16gal. Ridged 2or 3 years ago after reading many reviews. I think it's the best budget choice.

Patrick Curry
04-24-2018, 2:06 AM
Marshall, I think you’d do well to pick up the 2hp HF DC, plus a shop vac.
With a coupon you can get the DC for about $165. That top bag filter isn’t ideal (5 microns) but for about $30 you can pick up a lower micron cloth filter off Amazon.

Another $50 or so will get you a used Ridgid off craigslist. They’re indestructible, and will drown out the sound or near any dust making tool.

I’ve got a nice German vac hooked up to a dust deputy, plus a 16 yr old Ridgid that won’t pass the ghost.

Marshall Harrison
04-24-2018, 7:50 AM
Thanks everyone for all the helpful suggestions and advice.

I'll probably have to settle for aggravating Al Gore and just exhausting the dust into the atmosphere. Seems SWMBO is getting fed up with my recent spree. Got to let things cool down some. But we'll see what happens...