PDA

View Full Version : Anyone receive a Festool case that was dirty, is poor casting normal??

matt nexgen
04-18-2018, 7:15 PM
Asking for a friend but has anyone has receive a Festool case that was dirty when received, or the lid not opening and closing smoothly when delivered?? Another question, does anyone have any Festool tools that the castings dont appear to be the cleanest on?? The price of their tools compels the question being asked.

Ben Zara
04-18-2018, 7:21 PM
I have when buying from a store. Think it may have been a display model. If u ordered it from Amazon or something then maybe you got a returned one.

matt nexgen
04-18-2018, 7:34 PM
He got a domino, and the tool itself looks unused. The aluminum castings are not the best looking (does not look like it was final machined well) though there appear to be no sharp edges. The case is just dirty looking like it had been sitting for a while in a warehouse or something, it came from CPO outlet.

richard poitras
04-18-2018, 8:25 PM
For the prices they get for there tools I would send it back and get a new one. They have a 30 day return policy.

matt nexgen
04-18-2018, 8:27 PM
For the prices they get for there tools I would send it back and get a new one. They have a 30 day return policy.

That is what I was thinking too, any one else have any input?? Was purchased from CPO, would it go back to them or does he need to contact festool?

Frederick Skelly
04-18-2018, 8:37 PM
That is what I was thinking too, any one else have any input?? Was purchased from CPO, would it go back to them or does he need to contact festool?

Why doesnt your friend just call CPO and ask? Either way, I'm pretty sure they or FT will make it right.

matt nexgen
04-18-2018, 8:41 PM
Why doesnt your friend just call CPO and ask? Either way, I'm pretty sure they or FT will make it right.

Copy that, I am working the technical side for him (he is an older gentleman that does'nt really do computers) so I will let him know. Thank you

johnny means
04-18-2018, 10:34 PM
All the dominoes I've owned and used didn't have super clean castings. The necessary machining was impeccable and adjustments were always on point. IMO, I wouldn't want to pray even more for unnecessary finishing.

matt nexgen
04-18-2018, 10:51 PM
All the dominoes I've owned and used didn't have super clean castings. The necessary machining was impeccable and adjustments were always on point. IMO, I wouldn't want to pray even more for unnecessary finishing.

Gotcha, I don't think it is the machining he is more concerned with as it is the fact that the tool looks like it might have been used and returned or may be a reconditioned unit.

johnny means
04-18-2018, 11:54 PM
Gotcha, I don't think it is the machining he is more concerned with as it is the fact that the tool looks like it might have been used and returned or may be a reconditioned unit.
That's a whole different story. I'm sure Festool's 30 day guarantee leads to a bit of unscrupulous "borrowing".

Bryan Lisowski
04-19-2018, 12:01 AM
That's a whole different story. I'm sure Festool's 30 day guarantee leads to a bit of unscrupulous "borrowing".

All returned tools must be sent to festool, whether purchased at a store or online. Even a tool that is a demo for the store is unable to be sold. I have had a systainer from a store have sawdust in it, didn't bother me. If something is wrong or perceived to be wrong with the tool contact CPO.

Darcy Warner
04-19-2018, 12:23 AM
All returned tools must be sent to festool, whether purchased at a store or online. Even a tool that is a demo for the store is unable to be sold. I have had a systainer from a store have sawdust in it, didn't bother me. If something is wrong or perceived to be wrong with the tool contact CPO.

This is correct, can only buy recons directly from festool.

Returns go back to them to be gone through, used in training classes, take with them to trade shows, be sold as reconditioned, or sometimes donated to trade schools, etc.

Victor Robinson
04-19-2018, 12:46 AM
A systainer not opening or closing smoothly suggests it might be warped from impact. By the way, a heavily-loaded systainer that is not supported fully on a flat surface (e.g. partially sitting on another systainer) will distort enough where the lid won't seem to fit/close quite right. They're sturdy but not necessarily super rigid.

Also, if the item was shipped, it's possible that the accessories shuffled around during transport and dinged up the tool. I've had this happen several times. The first few times it happened I thought I had been sold a used tool. I've since learned to request that the dealer pack the inside of the systainer with packing material to keep contents from shifting around. It's really amazing what a number those accessories can do on a new tool. If you have scuffs and scrapes and white marks on a new Festool tool but no sawdust or other obvious signs of use, it might be that.