PDA

View Full Version : Old steel, new wood

Mike Wenzloff
11-16-2005, 7:50 AM
Hey everyone, hope your day is going well...

I've been making handsaws of late. Here's a handle reject that I fitted some old steel to for my own DT saw a few weeks ago that I thought I would share.

http://www.wenzloffandsons.com/temp/saws/dt_saw_0001a.jpg

Handle is Zebrano. 16 ppi, 8 1/2" blade length with 1 1/2" to the spine. I think I have a saw problem ;) .

Take care, Mike

Michael Gabbay
11-16-2005, 8:14 AM
Mike that looks very nice. Why did you reject the handle? Did you make the blade as well? Care to share in the details of the process????

Mike Wenzloff
11-16-2005, 8:33 AM
Hi Michael, thank you for the compliment.

If you look at the picture, you'll see the saw bolts are installed backwards--the side of the bolts you can see should be on the other side.

The nut of a saw bolt has a larger collar than the bolt proper. Drilled the wrong holes on the wrong side. The result of being tired when I got to that handle. Not a big deal, and I ended up keeping the saw for myself, so all's well <g>.

The blade is from a donor saw that I cut up and cut new teeth into. The brass is new. The best description of the process similar to what I do is on Leif Hanson's web site, which I highly recommend for learning how to make a saw, earning to sharpen or making handles.

Take care, Mike

Tyler Howell
11-16-2005, 8:45 AM
Very Nice!:cool:

David Fried
11-16-2005, 9:21 AM
Mike,

The bolts aren't backwards - flip the saw over, right to left - it's a left hander!

The handle is beautiful, that is a great wood I've never seen before. Thanks for sharing. I'm awed by the idea of making a saw!!!

Dave Fried

Bob Noles
11-16-2005, 9:24 AM
WOW Mike.....

Super nice job and the quality is fantastic!

Hope all is going well for you and the Mrs. How is the finger doing?

Mike Wenzloff
11-16-2005, 9:29 AM
Thanks Tyler, David and Bob!

Well Bob, it's still attached <G>. It tried to split open Sunday when sharpening some saws, other than that it's fine.

Mike
who might have found some air-dried apple...

Mark Stutz
11-16-2005, 12:24 PM
Air dried apple! Hmmm.....sounds like some new saws in the making! Keep up the good work, and keep the pictures coming!

Mark

Dave Anderson NH
11-16-2005, 1:06 PM
Mike, you need to re-evaluate your sense of perception. The bolts are NOT on the wrong side. You just made a left handed saw. If it's use presents a problem to you as a right hander, I'll be happy to give it a good home since I'm a lefty.:D Really nice job!!!!

Mike Wenzloff
11-16-2005, 2:03 PM
Hi Master Anderson...I'm sure we could figure out something concerning bowsaws someone around here makes <g>.

This one was from a batch of 16 I made recently. Beginning in the oh so very near future, it is one aspect of the biz. I've made more from sharpening this year than furniture, so with the sharpening will be added saws, both new and refurbed (and sharpened). Haven't been this excited for years.

Mostly, thank you for the compliment. Coming from a maker such as yourself means a lot.

Take care, Mike

Steve Clardy
11-16-2005, 3:10 PM
Looks nice Mike. I like the design, wood type.