PDA

View Full Version : One thing leads to another.

Perry Hilbert Jr
04-17-2018, 3:21 PM
I got a lathe and started turning because I wanted to make a few intended items. Turning has become a bit of an obsession for me. I have been turning Christmas ornaments that a charity sells to raise money. Acquiring tools and stock just seems to outgrow the alotted space. Well a lady showed me an ornament she got last December and painted. I turned the wood but never dreamed how nice the piece could look. She painted it with an airbrush. It gave just the right pizazz that I don't think a old fashioned brush could ever match. The figure is a Victorian style lamp post. It almost seems to be lit and glowing, though it is only paint and a piece of wood. So now I am looking into acquiring and learning how to use an airbrush.

Jim Becker
04-17-2018, 4:41 PM
Yup...there are always new skills to learn and stuff to buy to use them. :) :D It's one of those natural laws or something... ;)

Scott Brader
04-17-2018, 4:44 PM
yup...there are always new skills to learn and stuff to buy to use them. :) :d it's one of those natural laws or something... ;)

truth!!!!!

Lee Schierer
04-17-2018, 8:35 PM
There are a number of very slippery slopes related to woodworking tools.

Jon Shank
04-17-2018, 8:38 PM
We all jokingly call it the vortex for a reason.

JohnC Lucas
04-18-2018, 8:28 AM
Just started doing air brush demos. There seems to be a demand. I just purchased a new Grex Airbrush and their compressor. I highly recommend that. I fiddled around with other airbrushes and struggeled to do what I wanted and the new one is really much easier to use. It depends on what you want to do however. I can do some of my tricks with the $9 Harbour Freight airbrush. Here is an example of my latest. It will be in an article that Joe Flemming is doing for American Woodturner magazine. It will probably be a couple months away but should be a good article.

Erik Christensen
04-18-2018, 11:58 AM
any new activity that necessitates new cool tools that are affordable... is a very good thing by definition