PDA

View Full Version : Visit to Matt Dworman's Open House

David Fried
11-16-2005, 12:43 AM
I made a road trip to Worcheaster, MA. this past weekend to Matt Dworman's open house at his co-op shop. The trip to Worchester was easy but I got lost as soon as I got off the highway. After taking the grand tour of the city, I got directions and down a cobblestone street sandwiched between two huge, ancient industrial buildings I found the door.
Wow! What a great time. First, I got to meet Matt and his wife. I didn't recognize him from his avatar but I figured he was the guy running around like crazy. Really nice folks.
The Eastern Massachussets Guild of Woodworkers held their meetiing. In the foreground is a really nice table Clive made. You can't really see the front legs in this picture but they are really graceful.
While the meeting went on I wandered around and gawked. Got to see my first Martin up close - looks like tank without the treads!
The Powermatic lathe with the bed extension certainly caught my eye. There was a nice selection of Powermatic equipment, a Laguna bandsaw, a jointer that had to be about 12", a couple of SawStops and more! In the back I found a great bed someone is building and several other projects along with some impressive slabs of wood.
( Someday I'll reset the date on the camera :rolleyes: )

David Fried
11-16-2005, 12:54 AM
The highlight of the day was a demonstration and discussion on 18th c style deep releif carving by master Carver Clive Hamilton.
He walked us through roughing out the table leg.
He then proceded to start carving. He carves so fast it is almost scary! He kept switching back and forth between carving the ball and claw on the bottom and shaping the leg with a spokeshave - talking the whole time. I couldn't stay until the end but when I left the leg looked like a leg: the lines were smooth, the ball was round, and the basic talons were there. It was an impressive and fun demonstration.
Here is a better shot of the table. Makes me wish I could carve.

Dave Fried

Vaughn McMillan
11-16-2005, 2:51 AM
Dave, that looks like a great excuse for a road trip indeed. I don't know if Clive's table would inspire me to start carving, or throw away my carving chisels (if I had any). It's looks like an amazing piece. Thanks for charing.

- Vaughn

Alan Turner
11-16-2005, 6:17 AM
I saw Matt's co-op pre-opening, and it is a very nice space, pretty well tooled. Matt is very friendly, and I wish him the best of luck in his new venture.

David Fried
11-16-2005, 8:43 AM
I saw Matt's co-op pre-opening, and it is a very nice space, pretty well tooled. Matt is very friendly, and I wish him the best of luck in his new venture.

Alan,

I think you may have been at the pre-pre-opening while I was at the pre-opening and the offical opening is yet to come! It's a great space and these teasers are fun! I'll certainly try to make it back for the real opening.

Dave

Alan Turner
11-16-2005, 8:48 AM
DAve
You gotta love these great old factory buildings.

David Fried
11-16-2005, 8:52 AM
Dave, that looks like a great excuse for a road trip indeed. I don't know if Clive's table would inspire me to start carving, or throw away my carving chisels (if I had any). It's looks like an amazing piece. Thanks for charing.

- Vaughn

Vaughn,

I know the feeling - you wonder why all my box making tools are in the trash! :D

I did go home and pull out my six piece cheapo carving set and just sighed. Clive had two huge rolls in front of him. He explained that it took him 30 years to collect those tools. He pulled out half a dozen and explained that those were the first good tools he bought (Two Cherries) and only got them after he had been carving for six years. It's not the tools.

Both Clive and Matt stressed that the carving involves a bit of skill that can be learned and a lot of patience. Wonder if that can be learned?

Clive carved one side of the ball with the correct sized gouge. He then carved the next side with a smaller one to show you don't need all the different sizes. He carved the third side with a chisel! As he explained, it just takes a little longer.

Dave

lou sansone
11-16-2005, 11:12 AM
wow is all I can say... how did clive learn to carve so well?

how did you hear about that whole thing ?

lou

David Fried
11-16-2005, 11:20 AM
wow is all I can say... how did clive learn to carve so well?

how did you hear about that whole thing ?

lou

Lou,

Matt posted an invitation, "New Englanders - Mark your Calendars", last week. I'm sorry I didn't think of contacting you to see if you wanted to go with me. Next time ;) ! Maybe we can round up the rest of the Connecticut crew for some future events.

Clive said that there is a strong carving tradition in Jamaica where he apprenticed with a Master carver. I wonder if the apprentice system is part of the British influence.

Dave Fried