PDA

View Full Version : Help, replacement Laptop battery

Dave Lehnert
04-16-2018, 8:36 PM
I need to replace my laptop battery.
I need an HP 800049-001
I can find all kinds of replacements on Amazon but have a question.
The original battery is 14.6 volt. The non OEM stuff is all over the place. One I am looking at is rated at 15.02 volt. Is that ok to use?

Tony Joyce
04-16-2018, 9:47 PM
I would say the voltage is probably okay. I just purchased a replacement for my HP Pavilion. If you order from Amazon don't go for the cheapest ones. I made that mistake and bought two of the cheap ones($8@) thinking I would have a back up. Each one lasted less than four hours. They got hot enough you could not hold them. I returned them and got full credit from Amazon. The second time I got one that was more expensive($20) and was rated as an OEM replacement. Two months in it's still going strong and cool.

Tony Joyce

Sorry I was thinking charger.

Tom M King
04-16-2018, 10:13 PM
The one I'm running now came off the auction site as a Buy it Now with free shipping. It's lasted longer than the one that came in it originally by probably a factor of two.

Paul F Franklin
04-17-2018, 8:54 PM
The voltage won't be a problem. Your laptop circuitry runs on a much lower voltage (likely 1.8 or 3.3 volts) and there is a switching power regulator to convert the battery voltage to the lower operating voltage. The regulator will be perfectly happy with a few tenths of a volt extra.

Dave Lehnert
04-17-2018, 8:57 PM
The voltage won't be a problem. Your laptop circuitry runs on a much lower voltage (likely 1.8 or 3.3 volts) and there is a switching power regulator to convert the battery voltage to the lower operating voltage. The regulator will be perfectly happy with a few tenths of a volt extra.

Thanks for the info