PDA

View Full Version : Do you wear eye protection when you do chiselling work?

Simon MacGowen
04-15-2018, 8:56 PM
Someone in a thread about the new Rough Cut show expresses his displeasure about seeing the new host using his chisel without wearing eye protection.

Do you wear eye protection when chiselling? Or, under what circumstances would you wear one when you use a chisel?

Simon

Dave Zellers
04-15-2018, 9:14 PM
I guess so if my reading glasses count.

If I didn't need them to see up close, I wouldn't put anything on for chiseling.

steven c newman
04-15-2018, 9:19 PM
Same here. Now....using the grinder is another story...

Don Jarvie
04-15-2018, 9:34 PM
No, but to each his own.

Chris Parks
04-15-2018, 11:39 PM
No........

Mike Henderson
04-15-2018, 11:46 PM
I have to use glasses when chiseling in order to see the line, but I don't do it for safety. Never considered that chiseling could pop a chip up into my eye.

Mike

brian zawatsky
04-16-2018, 12:05 AM
Nope. Can't really see any reason to, either.

david beck
04-16-2018, 3:07 AM
no........

john zulu
04-16-2018, 3:18 AM
I use safety google all the time. Was drilling metal long time ago and it happened.....

Stanley Covington
04-16-2018, 4:14 AM
I wear glasses all the time, but even with plastic lenses, without side protectors they don’t count as safety glasses. So I guess the answer is yes, sorta kinda. But I have gotten wood in my eyes once or twice while blowing chips out of mortises, so it is a good idea.

The most common Jobsite injuries are hand, followed by arm. Eyes are way up there too, a serious eye injury will absolutely ruin your life, moreso than a cut hand or broken finger.

Think about it.

Zach Dillinger
04-16-2018, 8:48 AM
Other than my normal everyday glasses I don't for woodworking but I do wear them when working with any sort of metal, including grinding chisels. The only serious injury I've ever had while working came from grinding the modern markings off a bolt head for installation in a classic car. I never even felt the speck of metal enter my left eye, had no clue it happened until the next morning when my eye was red and irritated. Let it go another day (classic male stubbornness re: medical issues) which was a huge mistake.

The next morning my eye was basically swelled shut. Turns out that little speck embedded / burned itself in my cornea off-center and high (I was looking down at the grinder) and was now rusted firmly in place. Went to the emergency room, doc took one look and immediately made the call to a ophthalmologist (luckily in the same medical complex) who proceeded to grind, yes grind, the metal, rust, and a bit of my cornea out. Even through the local anesthetic I could feel the grinder on my eye ball, mostly a sense of heat but occasionally a sharp stab. And, believe me, the smell of your own eyeball grinding away is not pleasant. This was four or five years ago but I still remember both quite well. To this day the eye still doesn't feel normal and I find myself squinting with that eye more than I did before.

Long story short, I am no longer cavalier about the safety of my eyes around metal. One seemingly minor incident can have long-lasting effects.

Brian Holcombe
04-16-2018, 9:13 AM
Yes, often. I have good glasses that are very clear and so I can wear them all day without issues. I take them off for shaping by hand or planing.

James Pallas
04-16-2018, 9:22 AM
I have safety lenses in my regular glasses and back the up whenever using a power tool with googles. I dislike the feeling of grit in my eyes. I always wear googles when metal working, even filing. Experience with things in your eyes tells the tale. Nothing fun about it. Have a friend with an eye patch helping someone saw firewood not even operating the chainsaw.
Jim

john zulu
04-16-2018, 10:11 AM
I have safety lenses in my regular glasses and back the up whenever using a power tool with googles. I dislike the feeling of grit in my eyes. I always wear googles when metal working, even filing. Experience with things in your eyes tells the tale. Nothing fun about it. Have a friend with an eye patch helping someone saw firewood not even operating the chainsaw.
Jim

There is arc flash.... Oh the night after.....

Prashun Patel
04-16-2018, 10:30 AM
Wow, I am surprised nobody does. I don't do it when paring.

But when mortising, I do.

Zach Dillinger
04-16-2018, 11:00 AM
Wow, I am surprised nobody does. I don't do it when paring.

But when mortising, I do.

Maybe I'm just not as rigorous a mortiser as others. Rarely do I send chips flying up to eye level.

Prashun Patel
04-16-2018, 11:09 AM
You're the pro, Zach. I'm probably doing it all wrong. But occasionally they fly - enough that I felt it was silly (for ME) not to protect my eyes.

Brian Holcombe
04-16-2018, 11:35 AM
Hard to judge depth perception with one eye, so easier just to wear glasses.

steven c newman
04-17-2018, 2:59 AM
I wear mine so I can see what I am doing...take them off...I'd be like Mr. MaGoo....

Chopping out box joints...little chunks tend to fly up and out....usually straight back into an apron pocket...sometimes, on the second or third ricochet ...they will bounce off the glasses...

david charlesworth
04-17-2018, 6:10 AM
It is good to keep the eyes shut when blowing waste!

David (Plastic Spectacle wearer).

Pat Barry
04-17-2018, 8:27 AM
It is good to keep the eyes shut when blowing waste!

David (Plastic Spectacle wearer).
I agree. I don't know how many times I need to relearn this though

Andrew Pitonyak
04-17-2018, 4:17 PM
When I saw my dovetails, it is not that important. When I am chiseling out waste for a dovetail, yes. I have managed to send a chip out that hit me in the face.

If I am paring, it seems less likely. While using a hand plane, never had a "chip" come back at me.

For me it is easy to slap on a pair if I am not wearing my classes (which means close work since I am near sited).

Brandon Speaks
04-17-2018, 5:30 PM
I dont but I can see the logic of why it is a good idea.

Tom M King
04-17-2018, 6:16 PM
I guess not.

Jake Rothermel
05-03-2018, 3:58 PM
Power Tools? All the time. Every time. (for all the same reasons posted above)

Metal work? All the time. Every time. (for all the same reasons posted above)

Hand work? ...SOME of the time. But every time, for those particular some of the times. (Mortising, sanding, and maybe some hammer/mallet jobs, etc.)

I come from a power tool background, though, so I'm used to PPE and I'm trained to think of using it; even if the reason for it isn't immediately obvious.

I'm often bugged, too, by seeing How-To hosts not using safe practices. People will watch you work and will mimic you. Like it or not, that makes you a kind of teacher and it's irresponsible for you not to teach proper safe practices. Same for a lot of Youtubers. Don't title a video "How to Make a...", implying you're going to teach me how to do something, and then let see you not wearing eye protection while at the table saw. (Saw a guy weld in crocs once...immediately unsubscribed...)

I could take this opinion too far, of course; it can't entirely be on those in the spotlight. Woodworking is inherently dangerous and you'd be a fool to think otherwise and not take at least SOME personal responsibility for yourself and your own work. One thing the internet has taught me, though, is that there is a plethora of fools out there....

-Jake

Terry Beadle
05-04-2018, 12:41 PM
With me normally no but I do wear working glasses most of the time due to tired old eyes.

Also with Purple heart, hickory or african mahogany. They have a lot of twisted grain so I wear glasses and I use lite strokes
with a pretty heavy japanese hammer. IMO hard hits with a chisel is not the way to go at any time.

Sharpness is the way for me.

Brett Luna
05-04-2018, 4:01 PM
I also were glasses full time and I have a pair of safety specs with side protection dedicated to shop use. Even when I'm doing something that doesn't absolutely call for safety glasses, I tend to wear them anyway since my regular glasses were far more expensive...high def, progressive, Transitions, etc.

Frank Drew
05-06-2018, 2:43 PM
If I’m using a powered tool, yes, and if the tool is loud I’d always use hearing protection. But working at the bench with hand tools, no.

As for video hosts or others displaying unsafe practices, nothing makes me crazier than actors in movies smoking and/or not using seat belts.