PDA

View Full Version : Baseboard/trim wood selection

Jeremy Patrick
04-15-2018, 8:24 PM
Wanted to ask what folks would recommend for wood selection of baseboard and trim when paired with solid pine doors.
Am planning on picking up the needed pre-shaped lumber, but wasn’t quite sure what selection would be best if not painting.
The doors still need to be finished, so the aim would be to tackle finishing everything at the same time.
Have made pine baseboards and trim in the past, but have seen a decent number of posts for people opt not for pine.
So now I’m looking for the wise wisdom of folks here for pointers.

Thanks

Mel Fulks
04-15-2018, 8:44 PM
I prefer painted base just because it shows the moulded detail better. So I think if you want stained base I suggest base that is a whole 3/4 inch thick a deeply cut base cap at least 1and 1/2 inches tall. Stained grade base is less formal than painted even though it costs more.

Marc Jeske
04-15-2018, 8:50 PM
Don't forget to check it it's fingerjointed or not before you drive to get it.

Marc

Jeremy Patrick
04-15-2018, 9:28 PM
Good points, thanks.
I did come across some posts of people who found out about how well finger joints go when stained. So I’ll definitely be looking for that.

I have pine baseboard around the whole house at the moment. It’s all stuff I’ve milled myself, and stained. Certainly could be better but I suppose it’s a pivot point if better but still stained pine trim would replace it room by room. Or if another style should be considered. Decisions decisions...

Side question, for painted baseboard and trim, I’m guessing a door would be painted to? Or what is the scenario where a stained door is exhibited with painted trim?

Marc Jeske
04-15-2018, 10:21 PM
I would look at a ton of Google Images, pinterest, etc to give you all sorts of ideas.. matching, contrasting/"complimentory"combinations, etc.

It's all personal preference, see what suits you.

Possibilities are infinite.

Marc

Bill Dufour
04-15-2018, 10:57 PM
It also depends on the floor. Is it wood,carpet, tile, stone, or brick and what color?
Bill D.

Steve Rozmiarek
04-15-2018, 11:32 PM
I would look at a ton of Google Images, pinterest, etc to give you all sorts of ideas.. matching, contrasting/"complimentory"combinations, etc.

It's all personal preference, see what suits you.

Possibilities are infinite.

Marc

Exactly. I'm a finish carpenter, you'd be shocked at the options, and choices people make with this. All rooms look the same until the millwork goes in though, so choose wisely. ��

lowell holmes
04-16-2018, 12:03 AM
I might use finger jointed material on painted baseboard, not on stained and varnished baseboard. I normally try to find solid wood base board and door casing material.

Lee Schierer
04-16-2018, 8:10 AM
As others have noted it depends on whether you are painting the trim, staining or just putting on varnish. When we purchased our house, all the trim was clear pine with varnish. It held up for years. More recently as we've updated rooms we've switched to stained red oak trim. We have a mix of carpeted and laminate flooring. All our doors are stained six panel oak doors.

Jeremy Patrick
04-16-2018, 1:50 PM
Kind of a mix up. Upstairs bedroom is carpet, lower 2 bedrooms are carpet. Laminate oak for the rest of the house.

Jeremy Patrick
04-16-2018, 2:01 PM
I'm leaning on staying with staining or spray finishing to keep the wood look, not painting.

I have a milling shop just down the road from me. I was looking through their catalog and noticed their selection is only for soft maple, oak or in some styles poplar.
The big box stores do sell some trim/baseboard in pine though. Far more style selection with the milling shop though.

Trying to get prices of things, but given the storm we had here in the midwest, lines are down and probably a decent number of people aren't even at work. Lovely weather.

Jared Sankovich
04-16-2018, 9:32 PM
It Really depends on the look you want. How light is the finish on the wood going to be? The darker the stain the less critical the wood match. Personally I'd use whatever is readily available between poplar or pine/fir

This is all going to be painted, but I wouldn't have any heartache doing a dark stain with this combination.

Imported pine doors, white pine door frame and yellow poplar moulding.

Jeremy Patrick
04-17-2018, 11:12 AM
That looks very nice.
My options might be quite limited for pine selection unless I get it from a box store.
If this is my only option, have you noticed the quality of box store wood to be questionable enough to simply avoid altogether?

The one place I was going to look at took a massive hit with this past storm. Their HQ location's roof collapsed from how heavy the snow was. Looks like the majority of their yards are all closed since all the computers and phones ran through HQ and they can't get or fulfill any orders.

I don't have anything fancy for a router setup, but I could probably put together a setup to help run long pieces through for shaping. Only thing I probably would need is stock with a relief cut already done on it.

Jared Sankovich
04-17-2018, 6:37 PM
Are you sure there are not more millwork shops somewhat local? Doing a house worth of moulding on a router is not my idea of fun.

Also something to considern depending on the profile, there are times when I can't even buy rough lumber for what I pay the millwork shop for finished moulding

Jeremy Patrick
04-17-2018, 7:26 PM
You actually beat me to a post. There is one shop, a local mom and pop place that runs a as you order setup. They deal with tons of pine so I think I might have found my niche. Going to stop by there tomorrow morning and see what they have.

I was almost to the point of just ordering the dried lumber and doing it myself, but then I finally got a hold of these people. This storm has put so many people on hold, it was just bad timing for me trying to get in contact with folks.