PDA

View Full Version : Table Saw Table Dressing

Don Dean
11-15-2005, 7:39 PM
I will be putting togethere my first table saw in a few weeks. It has a cast iron table. What is best product to protect the table, as well as aid the feeding of wood through the saw.

Chris Barton
11-15-2005, 7:43 PM
Hi Don,

I have tried Boeshield T51 but, had very bad experiences with it. I use simple paste wax. I used to use Johnson & Johnson paste wax but, can't find it anymore and am now using Mixwax pastewax and it does a good job. Wood slides on the metal easy and the wax will not affect the wood for finishing.

Russ Massery
11-15-2005, 7:55 PM
Just Johnson's paste wax. I've tried all the other things the paste wax seems to work the best

Brian Hale
11-15-2005, 7:59 PM
Renaissance wax from Highland Hardware.

Brian :)

Brad Noble
11-15-2005, 8:40 PM
I use BoShield T-9 first followed up with a few coats of Butchers Wax from BWC.com. I think (don't have it in front of me right now) its called Bowling alley polish or something. Do this a couple times a year and all is well.

Brad

Paul Prescott
11-15-2005, 8:58 PM
Johnson's Paste Wax, at Lowes. But ask in the store where they keep it. It Varies.

Jim Becker
11-15-2005, 9:00 PM
Simple paste wax.

Frank Hagan
11-16-2005, 2:32 AM
Another vote for Johnson's paste wax ... I find it in Home Depot and Lowes ... but with the cleaning supplies, usually. You do have to ask sometimes.

An older woodworker once told me to apply the wax "once a day for a week, once a week for a month, once a month for a year and then once a year for the rest of your life". That was pretty good advice, although I wax my cast iron about every 6 months now. I live by the beach, and the salt air can wreck havoc with the cast iron overnight if its not protected.

lou sansone
11-16-2005, 5:51 AM
yea ... paste wax

lou

Maurice Ungaro
11-16-2005, 8:42 AM
I've got to vote with Brian and support Renaissance Wax. It's great on all of my tools (power and hand tools) and is superb on firearms as well.

John Miliunas
11-16-2005, 11:08 AM
I'm with Brian and Maurice on the Renaissance Wax, although Johnson's runs a close second.:) :cool:

Lee Schierer
11-16-2005, 12:34 PM
My vote is for J&J paste wax. I tried Boeshield and felt it got sticky after a day or so. We use Boeshield at work to protect cast iron and we are staisfied with the results, but we don't do woodwork. I get smoother operation on my saw and jointer surfaces with the wax. I apply it with 0000 steel wool so any crud on the surface gets cleaned at the same time. It gets reapplied when I think about it or notice the table is not as slick as it used to be.

Don Dean
11-16-2005, 3:00 PM
Thanks for your opinions. I just happen to have a jar of Renaissance Wax, therefore I am going use it. If for some reason I don't like it I will try J & J Wax. Lee mentioned that he applies J & J Wax with 0000 steel wool; is Renaissance Wax applied the same way? Also, Renaissance users, how much do you apply?

Again thanks for your responses!

Kent Cori
11-16-2005, 10:46 PM
I suspect the humidity in Oklahoma will be low enough that paste wax alone will keep the rust away. Unfortunately, that is not the case in a garage shop in Florida. I use Boeshield T-9 followed by two coats of paste wax. This lets me have the protection of T-9 and the slick surface of a good wax. When I use paste wax only, my cast iron surfaces rust in just a couple of days.

Try the paste wax first as it will likely be all you'll need. If that isn't enough, T-9 should take care of your problem.

Scott Donley
11-16-2005, 11:24 PM
I use Johnson's paste also. For the TS, BS, and jointer, I rub it on, let it dry, then use a car buffer on it. The planer I do by hand. Do it every few mo. No rust. I live in the northwest a few blocks from Pudget Sound- not known for being a "dry" area. Good luck!

Scott Parks
11-16-2005, 11:33 PM
Ok, I read this thread this morning.... I'm out of Top Kote, and need to apply another coat to my TS. So, I was in Lowe's today and picked up a tub o' Johnson's wax.... Thanks guys, y'all just cost me $4.98 plus tax (cheaper than Top Kote). See what happens when I hang out here.:D If it aint too cold tomorrow, I'll be waxing all my tools...

Frank Hagan
11-17-2005, 1:40 AM
I suspect the humidity in Oklahoma will be low enough that paste wax alone will keep the rust away. Unfortunately, that is not the case in a garage shop in Florida. I use Boeshield T-9 followed by two coats of paste wax. This lets me have the protection of T-9 and the slick surface of a good wax. When I use paste wax only, my cast iron surfaces rust in just a couple of days.

Try the paste wax first as it will likely be all you'll need. If that isn't enough, T-9 should take care of your problem.

Ever seen the "corrosion map" put out by the National Association of Corrosion Engineers? I saw one that was either published by them or reproduced in one of their journals that showed the highest corrosion rates in the country right along the gulf coast of Florida, LA and Texas.

Even though I am 2 miles from the Pacific, with a lot of moist "sea mist" fog and salt buildup on the windows every few months, my area is about half as corrosive as the gulf area. Not sure why, but maybe its a combination of the heat and humidity down there (here, when its hot, its dry!)

Vaughn McMillan
11-17-2005, 2:18 AM
...I'll be waxing all my tools...
Must...resist...wise...remark...

:p

- Vaughn