PDA

View Full Version : Panel Top Glue Up Question

Joe A Faulkner
04-14-2018, 10:44 PM
A curio cabinet project that my son is working on requires a 14" wide x 18.75" long top. it is being made out of white oak. The boards on hand are in the 6" wide range. For this top using the lumber shown, would you recommend a three piece glue up or ripping the 6" wide stock and alternating the growth rings (5 piece glue up)?

Mel Fulks
04-14-2018, 11:05 PM
I would not consider the end grain orientation at all on an interior hardwood project.

Patrick Chase
04-14-2018, 11:59 PM
To be honest I'd be most concerned about the narrow strip. It looks to me like the top surface (as oriented in the photo) was <3/4" from the pith. I'd find a way to place that along one of the edges instead of at the center of the glue-up. That way when it cups it won't cause the entire surface to "fold".

Stanley Covington
04-15-2018, 12:16 AM
Connect the top to the sides in a way that precludes both warping and splitting, and all will be well.

Steve Kaminska
04-15-2018, 1:57 AM
Personally, I would look for wider boards and keep those 6” pieces for another project. Here in the desert of SoCal, I can regularly get 8” - 9” wide white oak boards. I would imagine that would be even easier for you guys to obtain.

glenn bradley
04-15-2018, 3:44 AM
I orient for appearance and have left the 'opposite ring pattern' thing behind long ago. I wouldn't hesitate to use the boards you have if they give the appearance you are after.

Derek Cohen
04-15-2018, 6:46 AM
Orientate the boards for the most pleasing appearance. I assume that the grain will run across the width of the cabinet, and attach to the cabinet sides. That will maintain stability/prevent movement.

http://www.inthewoodshop.com/Furniture/Scraping_html_5992010e.jpg

Regards from Perth

Derek

Lee Schierer
04-15-2018, 8:32 AM
Apply finish equally to both sides of that top and it will help equalize the seasonal moisture changes.