PDA

View Full Version : Scott Phillips, Craftsman, or Tool Salesman?

Bruce Wrenn
04-14-2018, 9:25 PM
This afternoon, while cleaning up from a cook out, he was on PBS. I can't figure if he is trying to be a craftsman, or just a tool salesman. Every operation he does, he explains how nice it is to have a (pick your brand) tool, that Woodcraft just happens to sell. What do you think?

Peter Dawley
04-14-2018, 10:28 PM
All about the marketing

Rich Engelhardt
04-15-2018, 4:20 AM
I'd wager that Norm was responsible for 99% of the biscuit joiner sales in the US ;).

Even today, I bet Chevy/GM sells a whole lot of Pickups & SUV's because everyone on This Old House drives a decked out one.

Overall - I expect some quid pro quo on these shows. It's the price you pay for not having commercials interrupt the flow of things.

Jim Becker
04-15-2018, 9:25 AM
How do you suppose that these shows are funded so they can even be on the air? Sponsorship is nothing new. Some of the pitch is a little more up front these days, but without sponsorships, there would be no programs like this to watch and nobody willing to be the "start" of the show. It's about making a living.

Pat Barry
04-15-2018, 10:39 AM
This afternoon, while cleaning up from a cook out, he was on PBS. I can't figure if he is trying to be a craftsman, or just a tool salesman. Every operation he does, he explains how nice it is to have a (pick your brand) tool, that Woodcraft just happens to sell. What do you think?
All of the above. He earns his living doing woodworking TV shows.

Mark Bolton
04-15-2018, 11:25 AM
I think more than the sponsorship its his entire delivery and demeanor that usually ruffles things. I know it's painful for me to watch and use to force myself to watch him when the show popped on for some odd reason now I just change the channel.

Comparing him to any other show is just ridiculous. Norm, TOH, Rough cut, even Roy Underhil when he rarely has a lie neillsen or other modern day tool in hand on the show, NEVER call out the brand name and repeatedly over emphasize the manufacturer, ever. More often they are bound by the rules of underwriting and supporters, manufacturers, and retailers, are mentioned in designated "spots" and not directly promoted by the personalities on the show.

Phillips most nauseating series was when he literally somehow managed to build his entire monstrous house on the show and began bringing his wife (poor woman) into the mix. Nearly every episode was nothing more than him with a manufacturer of whatever it was he could have negotiated into his own home construction (likely for free for exposure). It was one time when I took the time to write a letter to both PBS, and his station, to comment on how flagrant the show had become. It was terrible.

If you want to go down the road of the wood whisperer and others who are willing to build their brand by selling themselves in any way needed to populate your shop and pay your rent then get off pbs and get on the web and you tube. That level of promiscuity has no place on public broadcasting. The funny thing is the worst offenders are usually the least educated in their craft.

Frederick Skelly
04-15-2018, 11:34 AM
Comparing him to any other show is just ridiculous. Norm, TOH, Rough cut, even Roy Underhil when he rarely has a lie neillsen or other modern day tool in hand on the show, NEVER call out the brand name and repeatedly over emphasize the manufacturer, ever. More often they are bound by the rules of underwriting and supporters, manufacturers, and retailers, are mentioned in designated "spots" and not directly promoted by the personalities on the show.

I agree. You can sponsor without hawking the product incessantly. My Dad and I were talking about this last night. He said there was a TV show years ago called "The FBI". He said it was sponsored by Ford Motor Company and every car in the show was (only) a Ford product. He said Ford was the main advertizer during commercial breaks. But he pointed out that the actors in the show never said
"Gee Agent Smith. We should go out and get in our amazing new Ford Mustang and go interview that bad guy suspect." Dad predicted Scott Phillips would have. :)

Brian Elfert
04-15-2018, 3:05 PM
There is/was a show on Discovery Channel recently called Garage Rehab. The show was practically an hour long commercial. They worked in a supplier's name in at least every third sentence.

Mark Bolton
04-15-2018, 4:18 PM
There is/was a show on Discovery Channel recently called Garage Rehab. The show was practically an hour long commercial. They worked in a supplier's name in at least every third sentence.

I don't have cable or satellite tv so in don't see the programs much at all but use to love the hands on shows. Whether it be mechanic/garage work, car and frame building, restoration, and so on. Was recently at a home over a holiday with the monster cable package and watching many of the shows on velocity and channels like them (hgtv seems to be one monster ad I cant even watch any of it). But the shows were all in these shops where you could tell the shop owners who were not, nor should ever attempt to be, actors were reading horribly scrippted, horribly delivered, made up, drama. It wasnt even watchable. As you say, from one end to the other a giant advertisement.

It's fine on commercial tv but Phillips pushes it to a bad level on pbs in my opinion. I've often wondered if Phillips is not bound as tightly by the underwriting rules or something but have no idea.

Product placement in movies and tv is no doubt a big money maker and I'm sure it helps pay the bills but pbs doesn't operate in the profit structure of commercial television. Still lots of dollars in the budget. But..

Frank Pratt
04-15-2018, 7:52 PM
I think more than the sponsorship its his entire delivery and demeanor that usually ruffles things. I know it's painful for me to watch and use to force myself to watch him when the show popped on for some odd reason now I just change the channel.

Phillips most nauseating series was when he literally somehow managed to build his entire monstrous house on the show and began bringing his wife (poor woman) into the mix. Nearly every episode was nothing more than him with a manufacturer of whatever it was he could have negotiated into his own home construction (likely for free for exposure). It was one time when I took the time to write a letter to both PBS, and his station, to comment on how flagrant the show had become. It was terrible.

If you want to go down the road of the wood whisperer and others who are willing to build their brand by selling themselves in any way needed to populate your shop and pay your rent then get off pbs and get on the web and you tube. That level of promiscuity has no place on public broadcasting. The funny thing is the worst offenders are usually the least educated in their craft.

Well said! I find him to be one of the most obnoxious TV personalities I've seen. I too forced myself (no idea why) to watch several episodes of his show until I decided there were better things to do with my life.

Brian Elfert
04-15-2018, 8:10 PM
The shows they have on the Velocity channel on the weekends during the day are basically just 30 or 60 minute infomercials. They don't use any product unless someone paid them to use the product and they mention the name plenty of times. Every time they go to a commercial break they have a whole list of sponsors of the show.

I only see snippets of these shows from time to time because my TIVO will be be tuned to that channel after recording a prime time show.

Pat Barry
04-15-2018, 8:17 PM
Lets not get too worked up about this. Not sure if you noticed but this is the way the whole world works now.
Watching hockey game. These are some of the advertisers in constant view on TV broadcast:
Fox Sports
Wells Fargo
Xcel Energy
Toyota
Kraft
Treasure Island
Ecolab
SAP
hulu
Coors Light
Honda
enterprise
Geico
Audi
Bridgestone
Dunkin Donuts
NBC SN
Org Packaging
Discover
Gatorade
Great Clips
Jagermesiter
Orkin
Tincup mountain whiskey
Coors Light
SUperamerica
Walmart.com

ed: of course I forgot all about, CCM and Koho and Nike

Its amazing that you can still watch the game...

Don't even bother trying to name every sponsor you see at a Nascar race, or golf event for that matter

Mel Fulks
04-15-2018, 9:00 PM
He has a style that reminds me of early TV. Perhaps a bit too earnest for today. My guess is that there are sections of the country that see him as being like a kind neighbor. I hope the country always has some regionalism.

Frank Pratt
04-15-2018, 9:58 PM
Just to be clear, I don't mind sponsorship at all. We get a lot of great free stuff thanks to advertising. It's just that Scott Phillips has a way of making sponsorship, and indeed, anything he talks about, completely unpalatable.

Brian Elfert
04-15-2018, 10:38 PM
Lets not get too worked up about this. Not sure if you noticed but this is the way the whole world works now.
Watching hockey game. These are some of the advertisers in constant view on TV broadcast:

I forgot about radio sports. Pro sports on radio is horrible these days and I won't listen. Every minute there is at least one sponsor mentioned.

The Treasure Island pregame show brought to you by Honda and Coors Light. This pitching change brought to you by Geico and so on. (Sponsors made up although I think Treasure Island really sponsors the Twins pregame show on radio.)

Marshall Harrison
04-16-2018, 8:02 AM
I wasn't familiar with Scott so I picked one of his videos to watch and see what your guys were talking about. I chose this 8:44 minute video on making a round box - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4hIAVbwideA

IN that short video I added up the costs for the product placements and they came to $2274.06 and that didn't include the Jet Band saw which he highlighted but for some reason didn't include the price. Pretty expensive tooling for a simple little box.

I found his wife just as bland and boring as he is.

So, how dod I get someone to sponsor me so that I'll have a full shop of tools?

Pat Barry
04-16-2018, 8:27 AM
I wasn't familiar with Scott so I picked one of his videos to watch and see what your guys were talking about. I chose this 8:44 minute video on making a round box - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4hIAVbwideA

IN that short video I added up the costs for the product placements and they came to $2274.06 and that didn't include the Jet Band saw which he highlighted but for some reason didn't include the price. Pretty expensive tooling for a simple little box.

That was a paid commercial for Woodcraft to demonstrate certain tools and techniques. If you are wanting someone to sponsor you, then you need to quit criticizing him and create yourself a following so that potential sponsors will want to use you as a vehicle for their products. Unless you want to be a professional critic, in which case your list of potential sponsors might be limited to purveyors of sour grapes, for example.

Mark Bolton
04-16-2018, 10:34 AM

I think the difference in the scenario is that this sort of stuff, while pretty much expected on commercial programming, has not traditionally been the norm on public broadcasting (for very good reason). Even people who dont really put the underwritting vs advertising thing together realize there is something off when they see such things on PBS.

Every operation needs money to run thats a given and PB is no different but being a non profit has some very nice caveats for the viewer in that underwritting guidelines as opposed to commercial advertisers have completely different rules. Many people say on PBS they just pack the ads in at the begging and end, but if you look at the rules for underwitting the "ad's" are completely different. They are bound by very specific rules with regards to what can be said, how it can be said, length, and so on. They simply can not air an underwritting spot that is an in-you-face "pitch" to a customer to buy your product. All of the underwritting spots are much more benign as compared to anything you see on commercial TV which IMHO is fantastic.

I like that. And I generally like (though the individual in the subject of the thread seems to finagle around it quite a bit) that the personalities on the programs are substantially less biased in their delivery and program content because they influenced far less than they normally would be in commercial programming. It still happens though for sure. For instance I found it very interesting that Martha Stewarts show on PBS was offering a LOT of middle eastern dishes which I had never seen her make. I loved the offering because I love middle eastern food. Then I noticed that her show was being underwritten by AlJezera I believe. Which again I thought was wonderful but gave reason for the direction of the episodes. I had never seen her prepare these dishes before.

Not having commercial TV makes it a bit more glaring it seems. I enjoy watching Nascar myself and do notice the heavy advertising but as you say, thats the way that sport has always been. Something I find very interesting there is that they have enough clout to keep the race running in a picture in picture during the ads. I would have thought advertisers would rail against that. Great to see an area where the consumer still has some teeth.

Marshall Harrison
04-16-2018, 11:10 AM
That was a paid commercial for Woodcraft to demonstrate certain tools and techniques. If you are wanting someone to sponsor you, then you need to quit criticizing him and create yourself a following so that potential sponsors will want to use you as a vehicle for their products. Unless you want to be a professional critic, in which case your list of potential sponsors might be limited to purveyors of sour grapes, for example.

Good points Barry.

But I was just joking about wanting a sponsor. I am more of a blogger type and no one wants to sponsor something like a blog. Everyone is into Youtube videos and I have a radio face so I won't look good in videos.

Rod Sheridan
04-16-2018, 11:16 AM

Hi Marshall, I'm ambivalent on the advertising, on one hand I find it annoying as I don't need to know what tools are being used. On the other hand for novices it could be worthwhile information, they now know what tool was used and how much it cost.

As to your comment about the $2274.06 cost, last autumn I made a new bird feeder for the back yard, here's what I used

- wood from band saw mill

- Hammer A3-31 jointer planer

- Hammer B3 saw/shaper

- Oneida cyclone

Now if I add all that up I must have the world's most expensive bird feeder, however the above items have paid for themselves several times over.

Wood working can be an expensive hobby............Rod.

Andrew Joiner
04-16-2018, 11:28 AM
All interesting comments from a bunch of woodworkers. If I was pitching a show I'd pay attention to this valuable feedback.
We're a group of viewers and potential consumers. I think we'd pay more attention if the craftsperson just did good work. Unless the tool or machine was new to the market or custom made we would know the equipment and appreciate its performance. Someone who's sponsored or pushes a brand will be treated skeptically by most consumers. Pointing out the brand name is a turnoff!
To stand out in a marketplace, be unique. Imagine a Nascar car that shows up unbranded. With no stickers. Viewers would notice it right away. You'd have there attention and stand out from the crowd. People would Google the car to get more details.

Marshall Harrison
04-16-2018, 11:31 AM
Yes Rod, I agree this isn't a cheap hobby.

Rick Potter
04-16-2018, 7:53 PM
Somebody has to admit it, so....

I think it is kinda funny to watch shows hawk their wares, but I must say that this is probably the only way I would get to see new tools in action, like plunge routers, track saws, the Domino etc.

I remember when Norm actually used a Shopsmith and a Craftsman RAS on his show.

Mark Bolton
04-16-2018, 8:23 PM
The RAS held till the end but for sure the shop Smith was a fleeting endeavour. Lol

Curt Harms
04-17-2018, 6:36 AM
The RAS wasn't a Craftsman after the first seasons though, but a Delta turreted model. Norm was certainly a tool huckster but he was more graceful about it than Scott.

John Lanciani
04-17-2018, 6:51 AM
The RAS wasn't a Craftsman after the first seasons though, but a Delta turreted model. Norm was certainly a tool huckster but he was more graceful about it than Scott.

Yup. The New Yankee Workshop jumped the shark when the Timesavers wide belt sander arrived.

Chuck Saunders
04-17-2018, 9:14 AM
Norm admitted from the start that he was a power tool junkie. And the camera had a knack for including the manufacturers logo in the close up. Subtle? no, but not bludgeoning either. PBS brand placement has changed since the French Chef had masking tape over the mustard bottle with the clearly identifiable shape. PBS and NPR have become more commercial than they used to be and I think the quality has improved. I suspect that member contributions are not keeping up with costs.
Chuck

Mark Bolton
04-17-2018, 5:05 PM
I suspect that member contributions are not keeping up with costs.
Chuck

I think its a combination of everything. The ever numbing of the average American, a steady attack on federal and local funds, and of course a good bit of creep on the administrative level. They are actually competing quite well with commercial networks that have them out funded multiple fold and federal dollars are WAY down. So of course. They have to keep their offering current and fresh.

I wish their funding were more stable as they are across the board about as non-commercial as you can get. From news to programming content.

Cant blame anyone for chasing the buck. If I had some gold paint manufacturer dangling a quarter million dollars of equipment and backing in front of me I'd likely be hook-in-cheek and whispering at wood myself.

Rod Sheridan
04-18-2018, 8:00 AM
I think its a combination of everything. The ever numbing of the average American, a steady attack on federal and local funds, and of course a good bit of creep on the administrative level. They are actually competing quite well with commercial networks that have them out funded multiple fold and federal dollars are WAY down. So of course. They have to keep their offering current and fresh.

I wish their funding were more stable as they are across the board about as non-commercial as you can get. From news to programming content.

Cant blame anyone for chasing the buck. If I had some gold paint manufacturer dangling a quarter million dollars of equipment and backing in front of me I'd likely be hook-in-cheek and whispering at wood myself.

I agree, funding for public broadcasters is becoming ever more important, both for content that's not commercially viable as well as a counterpoint to fake news organizations.

I'm lucky, we have CBC, TVO and I can receive PBS Buffalo from across the border............Regards, Rod.

lowell holmes
04-18-2018, 3:13 PM
I always enjoyed his show when I could get it. I don't think I've seen it recently.

Mel Fulks
04-18-2018, 3:42 PM
There have been many versions of modern commercials. Some here are too young to remember the Arthur Godfrey radio show. The commercials often consisted of Arthur and friends having a conversation about the wonderful product ."Yes
Arthur , I'd love another glass of Mom Mitchell 's iced tea! "
"here ya' go ....and my doctor says there's nothing better for you!!". It was on for hours almost every day!!

James Waldron
04-19-2018, 10:48 AM
Don't want commercials? Drop broadcast and cable TV, buy a Roku and subscribe to streaming services. Those with no commercials.

Don't want product placement in shows? Take up reading books (and select carefully, as some authors have discovered product placement).

Mark Bolton
04-19-2018, 3:43 PM
Don't want commercials? Drop broadcast and cable TV, buy a Roku and subscribe to streaming services. Those with no commercials.

Don't want product placement in shows? Take up reading books (and select carefully, as some authors have discovered product placement).

Even with Roku your going to struggle to get free it and your access is going to be drastically limited. I am in that camp. I am not opposed to commercial content Im just not willing to be w***d out. However if you want to see anything popular and mainstream (for whatever reason) your going to either pay, or see, something. My customers get NOTHING for nothing. Someone (and its not me generating revenue from thin air) has to pay my light bill and heat bill and machinery bill. I am willing to watch ad's and see uderwritten and sponsored content. Without it we'd all be sitting around farm tables, walking on dirt floors, reading only information disseminated down to us for free from the church.

Bruce Wrenn
04-19-2018, 9:32 PM
I don't think I've seen it recently.Are you bragging, or complaining?:rolleyes:

James Waldron
04-20-2018, 3:53 PM
Even with Roku your going to struggle to get free it and your access is going to be drastically limited. I am in that camp. I am not opposed to commercial content Im just not willing to be w***d out. However if you want to see anything popular and mainstream (for whatever reason) your going to either pay, or see, something. My customers get NOTHING for nothing. Someone (and its not me generating revenue from thin air) has to pay my light bill and heat bill and machinery bill. I am willing to watch ad's and see uderwritten and sponsored content. Without it we'd all be sitting around farm tables, walking on dirt floors, reading only information disseminated down to us for free from the church.

If, like the post I replied to, you don't want to watch commercials, you do have the option of quite mainstream streaming subscriptions. A bit of free content is around, but not much worthy programming. I don't think I made reference to a "free lunch" approach. It's like my Daddy used to say,

"It ain't always true that you get what you pay for, but you damned sure don't get what you don't pay for."

Silver tongued devil, he was.
At least with streaming you can get away from the monstrous packages of paying for a LOT of channel you don't want. If you subscribe to Comcast or Time Warner or other very large CATV carriers, there are going to be a greater number of channels you don't watch than channels you do watch. You pay for 'em all. As long as you pay your bill, they don't much care if you watch any of 'em.

Brian Elfert
04-20-2018, 7:16 PM
Amazon has been running ads for their original programming at the beginning of Prime videos.

Terry Wawro
04-20-2018, 7:17 PM
There was a period there when EVERY project was made with a Kreg Jig. Not that I'm complaining about that. I've got one and it's useful in the right application. What bugged me was that he used so many screws! The edges were lined with holes. They were about 2 &1/2 inches apart on whatever he was joining. At that rate it would take 50-70 screws for a single kitchen cabinet.

Andrew Joiner
04-20-2018, 8:04 PM
There was a period there when EVERY project was made with a Kreg Jig. Not that I'm complaining about that. I've got one and it's useful in the right application. What bugged me was that he used so many screws! The edges were lined with holes. They were about 2 &1/2 inches apart on whatever he was joining. At that rate it would take 50-70 screws for a single kitchen cabinet.
Maybe he got a commission for every screw sold:)

lowell holmes
04-25-2018, 4:36 PM
Complaining. Scott was not Norm, but I found his show to be entertaining. He found ways to accomplish things that I found to be innovative.
I enjoy any woodworking show.

Lee DeRaud
04-25-2018, 4:48 PM
Hi Marshall, I'm ambivalent on the advertising, on one hand I find it annoying as I don't need to know what tools are being used. On the other hand for novices it could be worthwhile information, they now know what tool was used and how much it cost.

As to your comment about the $2274.06 cost, last autumn I made a new bird feeder for the back yard, here's what I used

- wood from band saw mill

- Hammer A3-31 jointer planer

- Hammer B3 saw/shaper

- Oneida cyclone

Now if I add all that up I must have the world's most expensive bird feeder, however the above items have paid for themselves several times over.

Wood working can be an expensive hobby............Rod.Speaking as someone whose first post on this site was about using a laser engraver to make coasters, I applaud your economy. :)

Simon MacGowen
04-28-2018, 7:35 PM
Iand began bringing his wife (poor woman) into the mix.

If you want to go down the road of the wood whisperer and others who are willing to build their brand by selling themselves in any way needed to populate your shop

+1 on both points.

I don't watch his show (sponsored by WC, I think). No doubt his wife feels proud to help out, but unless a family member is an expert or acclaimed practitioner in her or his own right, don't get her or him involved on a regular basis.

Wood Whisperer bills himself as a content producer, meaning his target is the mass (read: mostly beginners) and not those with advanced knowledge and skills. I did not know he runs a show.

Interestingly, I just came across a social medium in which Paul Sellers labels himself as an amateur woodworker. He is not sponsored by anyone.

To answer the OP's question, he is a woodworker (not a craftsman) first and a tool salesman second.
Simon

Rod Sheridan
04-29-2018, 9:51 AM
I agree with Simon, unless your family member has some special skill, their appearances should be infrequent.

That said, one of my favourite Roy Underhill episodes of the Woodwright's Shop was one involving his daughter. They had a wonderful dynamic, it was a special episode...........Regards, Rod.

John C Cox
04-30-2018, 9:28 AM
Wood Whisperer bills himself as a content producer, meaning his target is the mass (read: mostly beginners) and not those with advanced knowledge and skills. I did not know he runs a show.

Interestingly, I just came across a social medium in which Paul Sellers labels himself as an amateur woodworker. He is not sponsored by anyone.

I think you will find that his over-the-top promotion grates on more than a few people and his ratings slip.... There is a fine balance to be struck between "just right" and "annoying over the top.." Wanna bet that Rob Crosman sells 3x as much woodcraft zoot by simply showing people how to do stuff right and then hosting classes where he teaches you how to make stuff with their tools. ;).

On Paul Sellers... "Amateur" status in his case means "Lover of" in contrast to a Professional... A paid professional makes what the client wants... And honestly, most furniture clients don't really want free tutorials on sharpening plane irons or a series on chopping mortises with various types of chisels as opposed to say a nice highboy or a set of kitchen cabinets.... But I must admit - Paul probably holds the singular honor of best promoter and salesman of Aldi chisels in the entire universe... I sure hope he is getting some sort of royalty out of them.... If not - Ashley Iles needs to start paying that man money to quietly recommend their fine chisels - you know... If you want to upgrade from your Aldi chisels and all...

Simon MacGowen
04-30-2018, 10:50 AM
But I must admit - Paul probably holds the singular honor of best promoter and salesman of Aldi chisels in the entire universe... I sure hope he is getting some sort of royalty out of them.... If not - Ashley Iles needs to start paying that man money to quietly recommend their fine chisels - you know... If you want to upgrade from your Aldi chisels and all...

Royalty from a chisel deal sold at grocery store?

Given his social media following, he can make a lot of money by selling almost anything including...stickers :D

Simon

lowell holmes
04-30-2018, 10:57 AM
Wow, a lot of vitriol here. I do not agree, I enjoy his show. I can identify with him.:)

Bob Glenn
04-30-2018, 4:31 PM
"Always read, follow and understand all the safety instructions that come with your tools. Okay, now safety glasses on, hearing protection in place, and of course turn on that dust collection system. Okay, ready to go! Now be sure to use these holding clamps, wouldn't want that piece to move and hurt someone. All safety guards in place. Put these grippers to use to keep your hands away from the blade. Okay, now we can make that cut."

dennis thompson
04-30-2018, 5:08 PM
Wow, a lot of vitriol here. I do not agree, I enjoy his show. I can identify with him.:)

I agree with you Lowell, I enjoy his show, I see absolutely nothing offensive about it. The guy is making a living doing something I think we'd all like to do.
This thread makes we think we're becoming a bunch of crabby old men.

Simon MacGowen
04-30-2018, 5:35 PM
" Put these grippers to use"

A real quote from his show or just joking?

Simon

John C Cox
04-30-2018, 10:40 PM
Royalty from a chisel deal sold at grocery store?

Given his social media following, he can make a lot of money by selling almost anything including...stickers :D

Simon

My friend - I would not be surprised to find out that those Aldi chisels are the #1 selling chisels in the USA and UK... And that would be mostly due to Paul recommending them... I would not have bought a set of them except for his recommendation... No doubt almost everybody on SMC has at least 1 set of the things - even if they ended up with them as a gift.... Try and say that about any other single specific brand tool....

Mark Bolton
05-01-2018, 11:33 AM
I agree with you Lowell, I enjoy his show, I see absolutely nothing offensive about it. The guy is making a living doing something I think we'd all like to do.
This thread makes we think we're becoming a bunch of crabby old men.

Im not crabby lol. And Im always happy to see any woodwork programming period, its just the flagrance of it. It completely dilutes any content. I will not deny that I just dont enjoy his personality/delivery at all and it comes off extremely poorly to me but as people say change the channel. There are the same comments about anyone and everyone. There have been extensive threads here and elsewhere with regards to people not liking Tommy MacDonalds Massachusetts accent/schtick, I have read posts where people honestly feel that Norm Abrahms knew/knows nothing about woodworking and construction and is just a talking head for the show (which is ludicrous, the guy is anything but a tv personality and I apprenticed with people who apprenticed with Norm and Rich when they were in their teens).

The issue with the person in question here is just a seemingly excessive amount of branding for direct personal gain which I completely agree with on commercial TV or Youtube. Go the woodwhisperer route all you want, know little to nothing about the trade, be good with social media branding, and make your millions.

That should have no place on Public Broadcasting.

Mark Bolton
05-01-2018, 11:37 AM
I agree with Simon, unless your family member has some special skill, their appearances should be infrequent.

That said, one of my favourite Roy Underhill episodes of the Woodwright's Shop was one involving his daughter. They had a wonderful dynamic, it was a special episode...........Regards, Rod.

One of my favorites is the one where his daughters band was on playing songs. I guess I could be upset with Roy's attempt to gain some exposure and sell some of his daughters CD's but even though I rarely work with hand tools and have never made a thing shown on his program, the guy is untouchable to me. Its a perfect contrast to a true craftsman as compared to the OP's show in question.

Harold Balzonia
05-02-2018, 1:42 AM
My friend - I would not be surprised to find out that those Aldi chisels are the #1 selling chisels in the USA and UK... And that would be mostly due to Paul recommending them... I would not have bought a set of them except for his recommendation... No doubt almost everybody on SMC has at least 1 set of the things - even if they ended up with them as a gift.... Try and say that about any other single specific brand tool....

just to increase your level of doubt - I don't have any and I had never even heard of them until this thread! I guess I need to get out more....

Lee DeRaud
05-02-2018, 2:05 AM
just to increase your level of doubt - I don't have any and I had never even heard of them until this thread! I guess I need to get out more....^ this. Chisels sold in a grocery store I've never seen and barely recognize the name of?
Had to google it, nearest one is 12 miles away. Driving 12 miles for groceries is filed under "not gonna happen".

Rick Potter
05-02-2018, 3:53 AM
Me too. Never heard of them.

Frank Pratt
05-02-2018, 11:09 AM
Me neither, never heard of em.

Jim Koepke
05-02-2018, 2:52 PM
No doubt almost everybody on SMC has at least 1 set of the things

Aldi has no stores here in the Northwest:

This is a map showing the number of stores in various regions. If they were available near me, a set would have likely been purchased just to check them out.

Driving 12 miles for groceries is filed under "not gonna happen".

We have a choice, drive about 10 miles to a small town independent grocer or about 12 miles to the Fred Meyer store in town. We always opt to go into Longview since there are other stores where we shop when in town. We chose to live in an area where the average home is on 5 acres or more. The downside is during heavy weather the road into town might get blocked for a day or two. That can lead to a long drive to the coast to do some shopping.

jtk

James Waldron
05-02-2018, 3:16 PM
<rant>

Well, I've heard of 'em. A couple of posts by Paul Sellers and a whole lot of debate about the qualities of their steel in sharpening threads here; some folks think they're okay, others turn up their noses. No one around here thinks they are great chisels. Like all sharpening threads, they tend to degenerate into a whole string of soliloquies. A lot of the folks get squeezed into the cheap seats to watch as the elite pontificate endlessly past one another, turning themselves into modern recreations of the "nattering nabobs of negativism."

I don't have any Aldi chisels. If someone gave me a set, I'd pass 'em on to a young fella here who is trying to do woodworking without enough tools; he could use 'em even if they don't hold an edge very long. And maybe he'll make something nice for his gal or maybe his mom. His dad would be impressed and proud. I think Aldi chisels would be good enough for that.

In the meantime, IMHO, there's no real point to throwing rocks at Paul Sellers or Roy Underhill or Norm Abrams or Chris Schwarz except to demonstrate just how jealous one is of someone making a living at woodworking and related marketing. And when there's criticism of all the repeated and boring safety warnings, it would be well to remember that these are national and international in scope, directed at aspirants and weekend warriors who "know they can do that." Few of these things are intended for experienced woodworkers; they target mass markets and either inspire new entrants or entertain the curious. Why are you watching Sellers or Abrams in the first place? You should be in the shop building something, not watching TV or videos.

</rant>

Edit: Well, I got so caught up in my rant that I went too fast and botched the quote of our esteemed former Vice President and crook. The correct quote should read "nattering nabobs of negativity." My apologies to the legacy of Mr. Vice President Agnew.