PDA

View Full Version : Rough Cut with Fine Woodworking....

Ken Fitzgerald
04-14-2018, 2:12 PM
I just watched the premiere episode of Rough Cut with Fine Woodworking. I enjoyed Tom McLaughlin's style. I think I can learn from him.

Jim Koepke
04-14-2018, 2:24 PM
I just watched the premiere episode of Rough Cut with Fine Woodworking. I enjoyed Tom McLaughlin's style. I think I can learn from him.

Is this for members only or is it a link available to all?

jtk

Dave Richards
04-14-2018, 2:36 PM
What's the project in the first episode?

Stan Calow
04-14-2018, 2:47 PM
Jim, its a regular program on PBS affiliated TV stations.

Ken Fitzgerald
04-14-2018, 2:59 PM
I am not sure if it's a member only item. Let's see if this link will work

http://www.finewoodworking.com/rough-cut/episode/shaker-inspired-hall-table-801?source=w1724enl&tp=i-H43-BC-88E-P0vWj-1o-4Y5i-1c-P1PqW-1EV2DA&sourcekey=w1724enl&utm_campaign=fine-woodworking-eletter&utm_source=eletter&utm_medium=eletter&utm_content=fw_eletter&cid=31262&mid=369629537 .

Dave, it's a shaker inspired cherry hall table with tapered legs.

Dave Richards
04-14-2018, 3:05 PM
Thanks Ken.

Did you get the plans for it from the FWW site?

Doug Garson
04-14-2018, 3:38 PM
Nice instructive video and nice table design but he didn't talk about making allowance for wood expansion in the top. I'm guessing the screw hole were slightly oversized which is probably all that is required for a top that narrow, but surprised he didn't mention it.

Robert LaPlaca
04-14-2018, 3:52 PM
The video was featured in the FWW weekly newsletter.

I found a couple of things interesting, one was the sponsoring of the show by Felder Group AND SCM.. Was kind of interested to see a sliding table saw in action on a TV woodworking show, but was somewhat disappointed and underwhelmed to see the slider used more like a traditional cabinet saw than a slider.

Dave Richards
04-14-2018, 4:05 PM
He did mention in passing that the holes in the long aprons are a bit over size

Peter Christensen
04-14-2018, 4:33 PM
I can get PBS Detroit and Seattle on the dish and it ain’t on either. One of them has a 2015 episode on on the 23rd but nothing of the new show. Guess I am out of luck unless they start showing it later in the season.

Doug Garson
04-14-2018, 4:52 PM
He did mention in passing that the holes in the long aprons are a bit over size
I must have missed it, I went back and couldn't find that comment.

Dave Richards
04-14-2018, 7:19 PM
He also made the following comment in a blog post on Fine Woodworking's site announcing the episode.

As for the wood movement issue. The screws at each end, in the center of the short rail don’t move at all. While the three screws along the long rails run in through holes that are reamed out a bit from side to side to accommodate for the minimal movement. With this arrangement, the top will only move from the center or the width out to the rail, approximately a 7” span. The reamed holes are more than enough to take care of that, even moving to a high humidity area.

Steve Wurster
04-15-2018, 9:10 AM

I found a couple of things interesting, one was the sponsoring of the show by Felder Group AND SCM.. Was kind of interested to see a sliding table saw in action on a TV woodworking show, but was somewhat disappointed and underwhelmed to see the slider used more like a traditional cabinet saw than a slider.

I was also disappointed that the slider was barely used as a slider. Why put a crosscut sled on a slider when the slider itself excels at doing crosscuts? If you're going to do that, then at the very minimum point out to the viewer that you're using a cabinet saw-style technique since more people have those compared to sliders.

Another thing I didn't like was Tom chiseling without wearing eye protection.

Simon MacGowen
04-15-2018, 11:32 AM
Thanks for the video link.

I can understand why he used a crosscut sled on the sliding saw, because most viewers use the traditional cabinet/contractor saws.

Simon

Von Bickley
04-15-2018, 11:38 AM
I am not sure if it's a member only item. Let's see if this link will work

http://www.finewoodworking.com/rough-cut/episode/shaker-inspired-hall-table-801?source=w1724enl&tp=i-H43-BC-88E-P0vWj-1o-4Y5i-1c-P1PqW-1EV2DA&sourcekey=w1724enl&utm_campaign=fine-woodworking-eletter&utm_source=eletter&utm_medium=eletter&utm_content=fw_eletter&cid=31262&mid=369629537 .

Dave, it's a shaker inspired cherry hall table with tapered legs.

Thanks for sharing that link. Enjoyed watching the video. Never seen pocket holes made that way. I'll stick to my Kreg jig.

Dave Richards
04-15-2018, 11:42 AM

I can understand why he used a crosscut sled on the sliding saw, because most viewers use the traditional cabinet/contractor saws.

Simon

And they use the saw provided by one of the sponsors, Felder. I think it was a good idea to show using a crosscut sled instead of emphasizing the slider which most of the audience is unlikely to own.

Rod Sheridan
04-15-2018, 6:23 PM

That was my exact feeling as well, in fact I wrote to Taunton to complain about that as well as the lack of blade guard (again).

I also thanked them for resurrecting the show, and for their choice of host, he's far less frantic than the previous host.

Diann's comment was that she found the present host the same as us ( grey haired), and that Tommy MaCdonald was younger and might get more young people interested in wood working.

I'm glad it's available on line because the PBS station I receive has the show on at 03:00..................Regards, Rod.

keith wootton
04-15-2018, 6:46 PM
they may have made concessions to viewers who have cabinet/contractor saws with a splitter or riving knife, but unsafe for my older unisaw. but i do know better and would find safer way.

ray grundhoefer
04-15-2018, 8:32 PM
watched him this morning on my computer. I thought he was very good
really informative and easy to watch

Sean Nagle
04-15-2018, 11:39 PM
Everyone thinks Tommy McDonald is young, but he's actually 52. He just looks like he's 32.

Dave Zellers
04-16-2018, 12:26 AM
Everyone thinks Tommy McDonald is young, but he's actually 52. He just looks like he's 32.

THAT is seriously depressing. :eek:

Rod Sheridan
04-16-2018, 8:13 AM

Really?

I was basing my age estimate more on his attitude than appearance..............Thanks, Rod.

Bill McNiel
04-16-2018, 12:05 PM
I can get PBS Detroit and Seattle on the dish and it ain’t on either. One of them has a 2015 episode on on the 23rd but nothing of the new show. Guess I am out of luck unless they start showing it later in the season.

Peter,
I just checked, Seattle PBS airs the show on Saturday at 1:00 PM. For some reason the first episode is not available but the next two are listed (Ken, thanks for the link especially helpful given my inability to find the first show).
Hope this helps-Bill

Peter Christensen
04-16-2018, 12:37 PM
Yes it does. Thanks. Off to program the PVR.

scmgroup
04-16-2018, 1:18 PM

Here is a video of our CU 410E full combination machine that features an 8.5ft slider if you still would like to see a sliding table saw in action, similar to a woodworking show.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=byPes-l1WLU&feature=youtu.be

Ellen Benkin
04-16-2018, 1:20 PM
I found it much less annoying than the Tommy Mac version but I still found that he skipped steps in the first and second demos. I guess they hope you subscribe to FWW to get the full story. If you are going to do a program that proports to give instructions I believe you should give ALL the instructions. I don't remember Norm skipping steps.

Izzy Camire
04-16-2018, 3:07 PM
I watched the episode on Saturday. I thought Tom did a good job although I wished he didn't skip as many steps but I guess it needs to fit the half hour format. Tom is local here in NH and is a good guy.

Robert LaPlaca
04-16-2018, 3:46 PM

I have followed enough sliding tablesaw threads on the Creek and study of various YouTube videos to have a fairly good idea of the methods of work for a slider. I just though it would have been interesting to see those methods demonstrated on a ‘main stream’ woodworking show, for the the next generation of woodworks to see.

Just imagine Tom Silva of This Old house pulling out a Festool TS75 and proceed to use it like a Skil 77 worm drive (sans a track), I think it would elicit the same dismay from viewers familiar with tracksaw methods.

Understand, that I have no horse in this race.

I though both Tom and Tommy did a fine job of hosting of Rough Cut..

Jim Dwight
04-16-2018, 8:42 PM
I liked it and I thought he did a fine job. Overall I would say his technique is probably better than mine. But... I like to use little wood blocks screwed to the top and going into a dado on the apron. Not much if any more work and allows for expansion a lot better. But I think his way will work if he finishes the underside of the top (the same way as the top of the top). I also don't know why he rough miters the tenons on a bandsaw. It would take very little more work to do a real miter on the table saw or a CMS. I also fit tenons with a shoulder plane. Maybe he can cut them consistently where they don't require any trimming but I cannot. The pegs also do not add strength. It's been tested, they do not. But if you like the look the joint will still be fine. Establishing the final surface with a plane is neat, I always sand. I'll try and remember the trick of a spacer block on the tenon jig. My jig is different but I think the block would still work - might even be able to use the blocks I already have. I find scrap hardwood in thicknesses of 1/4 to about 1.5 inches to be handy for setup.

Alan Lightstone
04-16-2018, 8:58 PM
I liked the broadcast. The video production quality was a little bizarre at times. Seemed lower quality than the previous incarnation. To many weird pans. Not quite dizzying, but not at all pleasant to look at.

Time will tell if this succeeds. I sure hope it does.

John LoDico
04-28-2018, 8:09 AM
The Boston Globe has a report today that Tommy Mac is suing WGBH and the producers for improperly using “his” branded name “Rough Cut” in the new show.

Simon MacGowen
04-28-2018, 11:26 AM
Boston Globe - "Rough Cut is the strongest woodworking brand on public television"

BS. The NYW is way ahead of RC when it comes to brand and recognition on pbs.

Simon

Ken Fitzgerald
04-28-2018, 1:20 PM
Simon, I am a great fan of NYW but it's no longer on PBS. I suspect the Boston Globe means it's the strongest woodworking brand currently on public television.

Mike Kreinhop
04-28-2018, 3:23 PM
Boston Globe - "Rough Cut is the strongest woodworking brand on public television"

Simon

I must live in a vacuum. I never heard of Rough Cut before seeing this thread. I enjoy NYW, and it is still airing from time to time on the UK channels.

Edwin Santos
04-28-2018, 5:15 PM
A lawsuit? Seriously?
I have no idea who is right and who, if anyone, is wrong.
However it's stories like this that constantly remind me that no matter what happens with technology or the global economy, litigation attorneys will always have job security.
Edwin

Lloyd McKinlay
04-28-2018, 6:11 PM

Simon

That is a quote taken from the Fine Woodworking website, not an original opinion by the Globe. https://www.bostonglobe.com/metro/2018/04/27/wgbh-sued-woodworking-show-host-tommy-mac/N72LnhoElILTKPC9vxvMFO/story.html

Simon MacGowen
04-28-2018, 8:05 PM
That is a quote taken from the Fine Woodworking website, not an original opinion by the Globe. https://www.bostonglobe.com/metro/2018/04/27/wgbh-sued-woodworking-show-host-tommy-mac/N72LnhoElILTKPC9vxvMFO/story.html

Globe is where we first saw the quote and so the Globe is given as the source -- not necessarily the maker -- of the quote. Anyone who reads the news article would know that.

Simon