PDA

View Full Version : Building Workbenches In A One Man Shop

ken hatch
04-14-2018, 1:35 PM
I'm fitting the long stretchers to the new traveling workbench leg modules this morning. I ain't as young nor as strong as I once was and while no one module weights that much when they start going together they can kick this OF's butt. Lots of coffee and doggie ear scratching breaks so progress is a little slow. After fitting the stretchers I'll need to mark the tenons for the tusk wedge mortises and then chop 'em. I expect I'll also take a trip to the wood store and find lumber for the slab.

This has been a slow build mostly because work has been insane, it may soon be time to hang it up and just retire to the shop and chasing MsBubba.

A couple of photos:

From the other side:

There are a few more mistakes and tear outs than I would like but what the hey it is a traveling workbench and after its first trip to the PNW they will not be very noticeable :o.

ken

James Pallas
04-14-2018, 1:50 PM
Hmmm-m Ken I believe that I see your first edition in the background. It appears that 1.1 has gained some weight since last year.
Jim

ken hatch
04-14-2018, 3:54 PM
Hmmm-m Ken I believe that I see your first edition in the background. It appears that 1.1 has gained some weight since last year.
Jim

James,

Good eye. Yep. I'm using v1 as a sharpening bench. It was made of construction grade DF. This time I found some good 12/4 Poplar for the base and long stretchers so everything is a little thicker and heavier.

ken

ken hatch
04-15-2018, 7:08 PM
Today, in between recovering the house to MsBubba's standards after two weeks of the critters and I living without adult supervision, I've worked on finishing up the base modules. I've one down and one to go. You can see the raw base module in the background.

I expect progress will be slow for a couple of weeks because of few days off from the day job. It happens, I've still plenty of time before the bench is needed for the PNW trip but I would like to have it ready for Mexico at the end of May.

As always click 'em to big 'em,

ken