PDA

View Full Version : Customer supplied material

Brad Patturelli
04-14-2018, 12:40 PM
Hi guys. I have a customer wanting 200 cutting boards engraved but wants to supply them. Do I ask them to send more than 200 to account for any testing or mishaps? Curious how others handled this?

Bruce Volden
04-14-2018, 5:34 PM
Always use painters tape to "proto" test. Low power of course.
Also, are they all the same dimensions, text only, graphics?
I make 95% of my income with other peoples stuff.

Bruce

Kev Williams
04-14-2018, 10:12 PM
Just tell them you'll need some spares, and if you don't use them, they'll get them back.

To expound on Bruce's reply, if they're all the same, chances are you won't need a spare, BUT, if they're all different, names, etc, there will likely be some mistakes. I small bamboo cutting boards for a title company who gives them away to the home buyers when they close. It's amazing how easy it is mess up. Copy & paste help with the spelling, but those dumb repeats...;)

Ask for spares :)

Bill Stearns
04-15-2018, 11:39 AM
BRAD
When taking on the engraving of a “quantity-order” of any product (especially, one provided by your customer) showing ‘em a “sample” of your work, first (on their product) ... is key! Yes, you’d be wise to request ‘least ‘couple extras, if for no other reason, using ‘em to determine your speed ‘n power settings. You’ll want’ a make absolutely certain your customer is pleased with whatever settings you choose. (Last thing you want’ a do is to engrave 200 cutting boards too light, or too dark; right?)
Make sure they understand that woods can, sometimes, engrave slightly different, from board to board, even though the settings are the same. Also: keep his boards’ “wood grain” in mind, which might effect the quality of your engraving. (I’ve run ‘cross some cutting boards where text didn’t show up clearly; too much grain.) I saved one sale, engraving their logo using the 3-D setting on CorelDraw.
If they are all gonna be different (indiviual names, etc.) get an “approved” list from your customer, so, if there is a misspelling, it falls on them. Me - I typically cut ‘n paste their list into my CorelDraw layout; then, select ‘em one by one: cut ‘n paste. Run the boards in sequence, if you possibly can. Check off the names on your hard copy, as you proceed. Oh, and I’ve found it essential to run these projects without distractions of any kind! (‘customer walkin’ in, or phones ringing, etc.) - got’ a stay focused!
Lastly: wondering? Was your customer made aware they might’ve (more than likely) been able to purchase cutting boards directly from you - and, your comparative pricing? (Too often, customers come to me with their own items, ‘n find that I sell the product, too.)
All this said: Best of luck with your project! - Bill