PDA

View Full Version : Laser distance from walls

Justin Stark
04-13-2018, 10:55 PM
My LC6090 G. Weike laser arrived and I am putting it in my 10' x 20' workshop shed. I am hoping to tuck it as close to the wall as possible. Will it overheat if it's too close to the wall? Recommended distance away from the walls? I have a chiller and a blower as well.

Thanks in advance!

Bert Kemp
04-13-2018, 11:28 PM
I don't know if theres a recommended distance from a wall, but think it its a good idea to leave enough room to walk behind it.

Keith Downing
04-14-2018, 12:13 AM
I've never heard heat as a concern, but Bert is right. There will (eventually) be times you need to get to different areas of the machine. For instance focusing the mirrors, putting in the rotary (in my machine at least), checking the controller or power supply, changing a tube etc etc.

Kev Williams
04-14-2018, 1:15 AM
I have 15 computer controlled machines crammed into our house and garage, the only one NOT jammed against the wall is the fiber. No problem with overheat. If I have to work on them (rare, thankfully), I do whatever I have to do.

Jerome Stanek
04-14-2018, 7:57 AM
Mine is as close to the wall as possible and no problems. I just unlock the casters and pull it out if I have to get behind it.

Mike Null
04-14-2018, 11:08 AM
My Trotec is about 8" from the wall. No problems. It's on casters if I need to move it.

Joe Pelonio
04-14-2018, 7:53 PM
My Epilog is about 12” only because the 4” exhaust has to bend there. It’s been in that spot since 2007, and I have never had to access the back, though I have changed the tube, a motor, and several mirrors and lenses. They are all accessible from the front or top.

Justin Stark
04-15-2018, 12:15 AM
The feedback is much appreciated. After quite the fight, finally got the laser in my shed shop today. I was curious what you guys thought about mounting the chiller and blower on the walls to save space in my small shop. Here is an image of what I'm thinking or something along the lines of this:

Kev Williams
04-15-2018, 2:22 AM
put the chiller anywhere you want, but you SHOULD put the blower outdoors-- if indoors, the blower will push smoke into the room thru small leaks in the plumbing, and the blower itself. Outdoors, all positive pressure is outdoors, and all indoor plumbing will be in a vacuum condition. It's not that tough to do, I have 2 blowers stuffed into this patio storage box--
--the fiberglass helps with the noise, as does my makeshift combo muffler/filter box. Note the holes on the side of the box for the motors to draw in cool air. With both blowers running you can barely hear them 50' away at 2am. :)

The only thing I need to change, is I need 2 muffler boxes- I have dryer vent louvers on both hoses inside the box, but they still don't block all the backpressure when only 1 blower is running; the louvers still let back into whichever laser doesn't have the blower running. I have blast gates but they're not leakproof either...

Keith Downing
04-15-2018, 3:09 AM
I second putting the blower outside if you're tight on space.

As for the chiller, I guess you could mount it on the wall. But I wouldn't put it over the laser. I've had one "fail" and leak out all the water over just a few minutes. Wouldn't take the chance of having that happen over the machine. Also, you'll probably want to be able to see the front of the chiller to confirm the temperature is correct from time to time.

John Lifer
04-15-2018, 8:34 PM
My blower has now lived outside for 17 months. No, not in a box, or under a cover, but against my outer wall. It's pretty dry up here, and it doesn't get flooded due placement but it does get wet. I've got it powered thru a gcfi. Just saying, put it outside.

Trey Tull
04-16-2018, 8:33 AM
Like others have mentioned, get the blower outside. You don't want to listen to that thing all day.

Rich Harman
04-16-2018, 2:07 PM
I've always had mine right up against a wall. There is nothing to overheat that would be helped by being further from the wall. Perhaps some of the air-cooled mainstream lasers need to be away from the wall - I don't know. And yes, put the blower outside.