PDA

View Full Version : Saw Bench

lowell holmes
04-13-2018, 4:43 PM
I have been cleaning my garage turned into a woodworking shop. While sitting on my saw bench, I sorted tools that have been in containers since Harvey came through.
I was wondering, how many of you have saw benches. Don't get me wrong, I have a full shop of power tools, but I have two work benches and will build a new workbench
on one wall with drawers underneath. There will be shelves above the bench.

My saw bench is similar to the one in the link below. Why do I have a saw bench in shop full of power tools? Well, I have fourteen Disston hand saws as well. I bet others of you go both ways as well, that is hand tool and power tool.

http://www.theunpluggedwoodshop.com/a-saw-bench-in-atlanta.html

Lamar Keeney
04-13-2018, 6:15 PM
Got a couple of them I banged together that double as short work benches for certain projects and I also own tailed tools, but sometime I just enjoy using a well tuned and sharpened hand saw. Just something bought a good handsaw I can't get away from. I've also been known to drag out a plane and make shavings for know other reason than making shavings.

Glad the shop is coming along

Jim Koepke
04-13-2018, 7:01 PM
There are three saw benches in my shop. Mostly they are flat surfaces that hold things until needed for sawing. Other times they are placed in an 'L' formation at one end of the work bench as a seat, which it is easy to slide on, for moving around the work.

Here is the build thread for one of mine:

https://sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?146777-Saw-Table-Project&highlight=

Mine are a splayed leg, saw horse style of saw bench or table. There are many other designs that may be a better fit to other folks work styles.

jtk

ken hatch
04-14-2018, 10:52 AM
Lowell,

I agree, saw benches are good to have for power tool, hand tool, or mixed tool shops. My two are kinda like Jim's. I couldn't tell if Jim's stack but mine are designed to nest and fit under either of the workbench overhangs....Saves floor space in a limited floor space shop.

Stacked:

As always, click 'em to big 'em.

ken

Jim Koepke
04-14-2018, 10:56 AM
I couldn't tell if Jim's stack

Yes the do, part of their design is to be able to stack when needed to be out of the way.

jtk

Phil Mueller
04-14-2018, 11:34 AM
I built this some time ago, found on the internet. If I had it to do over, I’d increase the space between the two sections large enough to get a clamp between them. Since this photo, I’ve added a number of 3/4” holes for hold downs. Otherwise, works well for its intended purpose, plus a nice bench, and step stool.

ken hatch
04-14-2018, 9:58 PM
Just a thought, as you can see there are two basic designs. One straight sided and best for ripping, the other sawhorse like and best for cross cutting. I do not rip long boards. I don't rip short one either, that is what a band saw is for :p. For that reason and the fact they can be nested make the sawhorse style best for my shop. For folks that like to rip by hand the straight sided bench could be the better design.

As always with anything wood....YMMV.

ken

Jim Koepke
04-15-2018, 1:04 AM
One of my splayed leg saw benches has a birds mouth to help with ripping. The plank is just pushed along as it is being cut. This takes more room than a saw bench with a slot down the middle. This was one of my reasons for making three saw benches when cutting long pieces.

This is a short piece of fir:

Here is an earlier one of some ash being ripped:

Funny, my weight has dropped quite a bit since then, but the same hat is keeping my head warm right now.

jtk

James Waldron
04-15-2018, 8:18 AM
Working with long, large timbers led to my beefy saw bench of 2 X 6 syp:

On my system, it shows upright; don't know why it's fallen over here. Oh well.

Edit: the gap is wide enough to fit a clamp in there and works a charm. Highly recommended.

Mike Holbrook
04-15-2018, 8:39 AM
I made another version, found in Chris Schwarz’s “Anarchist Design Book”:

Staked leg version: top is Poplar, legs are red oak

These serve as step stools or places to sit as well. They are sturdier than they may look. I stand on mine regularly. These are popular with my wife and sister, who find many uses for them.

lowell holmes
04-15-2018, 5:54 PM
That looks like furniture. My saw bench is made out of BORG pine. I have a small horse the same height as the bench so I can
cut long boards on it. It is a simple upside down tee shape with a 1X3 cross board on top. It lives in the corner of my shop
until it is needed.

ken hatch
04-15-2018, 6:29 PM
I made another version, found in Chris Schwarz’s “Anarchist Design Book”:

Staked leg version: top is Poplar, legs are red oak

These serve as step stools or places to sit as well. They are sturdier than they may look. I stand on mine regularly. These are popular with my wife and sister, who find many uses for them.

Mike,

I did one but with longer legs to be a shop sitting stool. Problem was I didn't have any Poplar for the seat and used Cherry. As I half expected it would, the Cherry split, the legs are still good waiting for enough free time to take a hunk of the 12/4 Poplar from the workbench build and knock it together.

ken

Mike Holbrook
04-16-2018, 12:21 AM
Nice Ken. The poplar is holding up well for me.

I am following your latest bench build. I have the wood to make a Roubo, but your beefed up Moravian bench is tempting me to follow your example. My mother was from Winston Salem, NC. Mom use to give Moravian cookies to all our friends at Christmas every year.....The idea appeals to me for sentimental, as well as practical reasons. If I can figure out how to mount a Benchcrafted Leg Vise and a Veritas QR Tail vise on one....