PDA

View Full Version : Shipping advice from USA to UK (not laser related)

Graham Taylor
04-13-2018, 10:07 AM
Hi,

We have been offered a vulcaniser by a friend of a friend and was wondering who the best company is to get a quote for shipping it to the Uk - weight approx 450lbs.

We dont usually import heavy stuff like thios so do any of the UK people here have any recomendations on who would would be a good choice?

Thanks as aleways for your help.

Graham

John Lifer
04-13-2018, 10:32 AM
No recent history, mine was from Italy to US in the early 2000's. Surprisingly, Air freight was only about a dollar a pound up to about 3000 pounds. I'd check major airlines for quote. We went thru Delta a lot. Only a few days to ship and was pretty easy.

Doug Fisher
04-13-2018, 9:09 PM
You might want to post from what location in the US you will be shipping to help readers determine if they would have local knowledge to share with you.

Graham Taylor
04-14-2018, 2:47 AM
They are here - Florida, Largo, in Tampa Bay

Cheers

Malcolm Schweizer
04-14-2018, 9:55 AM
Tropical Shipping out of Miami is your best bet. You can deliver it to their Miami or Riviera Beach location and they take it from there. All you need is to call them (you'll have to google it) and get a booking number. Send it to them with the booking number and they do the rest. It is surprisingly cheap. I shipped 650 pounds of 2x8x12' ash lumber to the VI for about $125. They can do the customs paperwork for you for a small fee.

Chris Parks
04-15-2018, 12:13 AM
Find a forwarding agent either in the UK or the US and they will organise everything, you just say go!

Jamie Buxton
04-15-2018, 1:12 AM
There's a whole class of businesses called "crate and freight". They come to your facility with a moving truck, and take the equipment back to their warehouse. They build a custom pallet or custom crate or whatever is necessary. Then they put it into the regular freight-hauling channels -- truck, or ocean container, or whatever. They take care of paperwork like customs. The crate will get wherever it is going, and a partner company there will reverse the procedure. Unfortunately, I don't have a recommendation in Florida. But that's the kind of outfit you're needing.