PDA

View Full Version : Interesting grinding wheel

Tony Pisano
04-13-2018, 12:26 AM
I found this at our local thrift shop where all the great deals come from. They were asking $60. After it sat for a few months, I offered $35 and took it home, as much because I like the way it looked as anything else. The wheel is 3" wide by 7" diameter. It has a 3" pulley on the motor and the large drive pulley is 10" with the smaller being 2" dia. I figure the wheel speed to be a little over 5oo rpm, if my math is right. The motor is a 1/4 horse Maytag.the one design flaw I can see is having the 10" pulley sticking above the height of the wheel.

Frederick Skelly
04-13-2018, 6:27 AM
That's neat. I'd have bought that just to have a 3" wide wheel available to me. Have you fired it up? How's she perform?

John K Jordan
04-13-2018, 6:49 AM
....the one design flaw I can see is having the 10" pulley sticking above the height of the wheel.

Nice! Is it a natural stone wheel?

Perhaps you could add a lower shaft for the large pulley and use a second set of smaller pulleys from that intermediate shaft to the wheel.

It wouldn't be much effort and wouldn't cost much - maybe there is enough in that piggy bank. :)

JKJ

michael langman
04-13-2018, 4:47 PM
You did good Tony. Looks like it will work well for plane blades and chisels.

Tony Pisano
04-16-2018, 12:18 PM
Yes, I have fired it up and the wheel runs true. It does look like a natural stone wheel. I don't think it would cost anything to alter because I have all kinds of pulleys, motors and all that stuff that we all save, just in case.

Dan Hulbert
04-17-2018, 9:53 AM
Great find. I'd be tempted to shroud the belt and pulleys for safety. Simple 1/4 ply box hanging off the upper table could save some digits.

Tony Pisano
04-17-2018, 11:25 PM
I agree, Dan. A belt and pulley can easily take a finger off.