PDA

View Full Version : New to SMC and my shed project

Neil Bosdet
11-15-2005, 3:38 PM
Hi folks,

I'm new here at SMC. I don't know why I haven't seen this site before???? I've been on the wreck for years and the Spalted Board, on and off, until it's untimely departure a short while ago. I've been lurking on some threads for the past few days and have been very impressed with the friendly nature of the forum. I think I will say bye bye to the wreck for the most part. It's too nasty and people seem to reply with whatever they want without much regard to the original post.

I'm in the midst of building a shed. It's been on the "honey do" list for 4 years. It's a good size (16'x12') as it's 2 sheds in one. 1/2 of it is 2 storage bins for firewood with spaces in the slats to help dry the wood. Should hold 6 cords of wood (5 realistically). The other 1/2 is a standard shed for yard stuff etc.

I acquired about $4000 worth (at today's prices) of 50 year old cedar that came off a 200' horse barn. I got it for contra at 20% value, so no cash out of my pocket! I just have to do some resawing for the fellow sometime and he owed me $500 so I'm only indebted $300 worth of sawing. ;) It's 6"x3" in 12' lengths, panabode material. It looks horrible on the outside as apparently horses have a nasty obsession with chewing and biting wood. I've been resawing it all into planks a little less than an inch thick, 3 per piece. The insides are beautiful. This is old growth, well seasoned wood. You can't buy this stuff now. This will be the bin material and the outside covering in a board and baton style. I've got to decide how wide to make the batons. I like the look without any batons so I don't want them too big and cover up the pretty resawn cedar too much.

The first batch of cedar I got was roof material from the barn. It too was 3" thick as well (from the roof)! I intended to use this for the floor after resawing it in half but the NAILS!!! I bought a metal detector and spent a few hours with my boys pulling 8" spikes that held them together. After this huge task was complete the metal detector still lit up like a Christmas tree! :( Rats. So now I have a 3" cedar floor in my shed. :rolleyes: Here's some pics.

OK, enough for now. I look forward to being a regular on this board. :)

Neil

David Wilson
11-15-2005, 3:40 PM
Neil
Welcome aboard.

Bernie Weishapl
11-15-2005, 4:47 PM
Neil welcome aboard. You will love it here. Lots of knowledge and great folks here.

Keith Outten
11-15-2005, 4:58 PM
Welcome to the Creek Neil.

Your new shed looks nice, I can't remember the last time I saw 3" thick cedar.

Steve Clardy
11-15-2005, 5:02 PM
Shed looks terrific. One of those is on my wish list for firewood storing one of these days.

Welcome to the Creek!!

and---which wreck are you referring too?

Neil Bosdet
11-15-2005, 5:09 PM
Thanks for all the welcomes! The "wreck" is rec.woodworking.

Neil

Steve Clardy
11-15-2005, 5:11 PM
OK. Never been there I guess.
Steve

Neil Bosdet
11-15-2005, 5:30 PM
It's a free - usenet group (newsgroup) I view through google. It's very active but full of crappy arguements and snide remarks. Here's a link:

http://groups.google.com/group/rec.woodworking?hl=en

Chris Barton
11-15-2005, 6:07 PM
Great looking shed Neil, and welcome to SMC!

Jason Tuinstra
11-15-2005, 6:20 PM
Neil, good to have you around. Even though you haven't seen much of us before, we hope that you see a lot of us in the future! Welcome!

Frank Pellow
11-15-2005, 7:56 PM
Neil, welcome to Saw Mill Creek !

I like your shed! It struck a cord with me on two accounts.

(1) I built a pan abode cabin about 30 years ago and am currently restoring the exterior finish. See the thread: http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=24456

(2) I recently completed a workshop building (which I call Shed #2) and it has rough sawn pine board and batten siding. A typical picture of my shed can be found attached to post #302 in the thread: http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=7769&page=21

Mike Tempel
11-15-2005, 8:34 PM
Neil, don't want to seem nosy but is that snow on the ground and if so where 'bouts do you hail from.
Nice shed - I truly am jealous of the NEED for firewood and that shed looks beautiful with the natural wood look. Hope it serves you well for years to come.
Welcome to the creek. Hope to see you around here more.

Neil Bosdet
11-15-2005, 11:18 PM
Yup, that's snow. I live in Alberta, Canada. Near Banff in the Rockies. My house is at 4850 ft elevation so snow is common, hot is not. We've had snow every month of the year and expect it probably 8 out of 12 months per year.

John Hart
11-15-2005, 11:22 PM
Welcome to the Creek Neil!! Hope you find this place as wonderful as the rest of us do!:)

Keel McDonald
11-16-2005, 7:13 AM
Nice to meet you Neil. Hope you enjoy the Creek as much as I do!

Ken Fitzgerald
11-16-2005, 7:18 AM
Neil.....Welcome to the Creek! Wade right in the water's fine. Friendly bunch here always willing to exchange information and pints of view!

Tyler Howell
11-16-2005, 8:31 AM
Welcome to the creek Neil, Great bunch of folks here.;)