PDA

View Full Version : Looking for garage door opener opinions

Bill Jobe
04-12-2018, 1:24 PM
My old garage do opener nearly dropped on my wife'a car and I've have begun the exhausting job of choosing one.
That is one characteristic of mine.....I take forever to decide on the best choice when buying anything.
Many years ago I decided to add a camcorder to my already extensive list of gadgets for my 35mm. 3 months later and a stack of video camera magazines over a foot tall, I finally order one.
Can anyone point me in the direction of a good belt driven unit? I see most come with a single remote. The door is a 16x7 steel piece.
I'd prefer to keep the price under $300, including tax and extra remote.I want one that turns on a low voltage light it the house to indicate it is open. The garage is attached.

Dave Cav
04-12-2018, 1:44 PM
I had Liftmaster 8500 jackshaft openers installed on my new house after extensive research and reading a lot of posts on various forums. The installer said they had been installing a lot of them in the last few years. They're brand new and the house isn't finished yet do I don't have any long term experience, but it's a clean installation (nothing on the ceiling) and when they operate they're very quiet.

glenn bradley
04-12-2018, 1:59 PM
Can't help you on the newer units that avoid the long rail and ceiling mount but, I would sure look at those if I were looking. I have been running a Chamberlin for 20 years and a couple of Genies for 15 or so. The Genie's get used several times a day, every day.

Bill Jobe
04-12-2018, 2:24 PM
I'd prefer not to need power run to the Jackshaft designs. And I don't see those units with battery backup.
And both Jackshaft and gear driven require messing with the springs on the torsion bar.

I think for now I want to stick to belt driven overhead. And that's something I can do myself.

Marshall Harrison
04-12-2018, 4:36 PM
I put in a Genie Excellerator worm drive 15+ years ago and I haven't had any problems with it. I have no idea whats available these days. And in 15+ years since my last one I'm sure things have changed a lot. That's the problem with these things. they last so long that you have to start over each time you need to replace one.

I don't remember the price I paid but knowing SWMBO, I'm sure it was under $300. Got it at Lowes or Home De[pot and it came with free installation.

John K Jordan
04-12-2018, 5:08 PM
My old garage do opener nearly dropped on my wife'a car and I've have begun the exhausting job of choosing one.
That is one characteristic of mine.....I take forever to decide on the best choice when buying anything.
Many years ago I decided to add a camcorder to my already extensive list of gadgets for my 35mm. 3 months later and a stack of video camera magazines over a foot tall, I finally order one.
Can anyone point me in the direction of a good belt driven unit? I see most come with a single remote. The door is a 16x7 steel piece.
I'd prefer to keep the price under $300, including tax and extra remote.I want one that turns on a low voltage light it the house to indicate it is open. The garage is attached.

I just had an 18' steel insulated door put in the house garage with a Linear opener: DC800 1/2hp belt drive with 2 remotes, wall switch ($350 installed)
I bought an extra remote and an external keypad.

It seems better than the best models Home Depot sells that I used in the past. Very smooth and quiet.

JKJ

Bill Jobe
04-12-2018, 11:40 PM
Thank you all for your suggestions.
I could not find the wall mount (jackshaft?), and I only saw one screw drive.

I ended up getting a Chamberlain B970. I was just worn out from going from big box to big box and grabbed one. I like some of its features such as battery backup, 2 remotes compared to 1 on many model. Far more power than I need. And it has Internet accessibility. You can be anywhere, literally, and get a text or some such notification, that your garage door opens or closes.
Requires WiFi when out and about with a smartphone. About $210 or so with 11% discount.

George Bokros
04-13-2018, 7:41 AM
We had to replace ours this past summer. I went with a belt drive Genie. It is very quiet and works well. Came with two remotes. The remotes from my previous Genie opener also work with the new opener. That gives me five remotes so each vehicle now has one plus one spare. We are very satisfied. The previous opener was a Genie and it lasted 19 yrs and probably would still be working if I hadn't fried the electronics trying to adjust the stop switch. The door would go down and then go back up. I had adjusted it some years ago with no issue but this time I must have taken to many tries and fired the electronics or motor.

John K Jordan
04-13-2018, 8:40 AM
I meant to mention for those who may not be aware: at least some newer cars come with built-in programmable remotes. The one on my wife's '12 Murano has several programmable buttons on the rear-view mirror and the new Jeep has several buttons on the back of the sun visor. Use them to open the security gate too.

Lots of help from Google if needed, one here: https://www.geniedoor.com/support/programming-instructions/homelink-garage-door-opener-programming/

Jerome Stanek
04-13-2018, 10:03 AM
I'd prefer not to need power run to the Jackshaft designs. And I don't see those units with battery backup.
And both Jackshaft and gear driven require messing with the springs on the torsion bar.

I think for now I want to stick to belt driven overhead. And that's something I can do myself.

All openers need springs that are adjusted correctly. If they are adjusted the door should stay in the half open position and any opener will operate it.

John K Jordan
04-13-2018, 12:30 PM
All openers need springs that are adjusted correctly. If they are adjusted the door should stay in the half open position and any opener will operate it.

...and I've heard that people have been severely injured by both types of springs, especially the torsion springs. Without experience I would pay someone a few bucks to either install the opener or adjust things.

Dave Cav
04-13-2018, 2:26 PM
Same here. Garage door springs are dangerous. Working on them is one of those things, like cleaning second story gutters or pressure washing a metal roof, that I'll pay someone to do.