PDA

View Full Version : Grizzly 0586 Jointer owners

John Kordes
11-15-2005, 2:55 PM
Hello all !

I am a new member here and have been reading the various post over the last several weeks and I have a ... hopefully ... brief question.

I have ordered and having delivered the Grizzly 0586 8" jointer and I was hoping for some help from existing users of this jointer.

Are there any gotcha's with the setup other than needing some help with the lifting?

Ken Fitzgerald
11-15-2005, 4:01 PM
John.....Welcome to the Creek!

John Bailey
11-15-2005, 4:04 PM
John,

Can't help with the jointer set-up, but I can gaurantee the best advice available, cause the "Creek" is the best site on the web. Welcome and enjoy. You'll get lots of good advice here.

John

Chris Barton
11-15-2005, 4:38 PM
Hi john,

While I don't have first hand experience with this jointer the only thing I would suggest is that since the manual for that machiine is freely available on their website, use the time you have until delivery reading and rereading the operations manual.

Keith Outten
11-15-2005, 4:51 PM
John,

I have a Grizzly 8" by 72" joiner that I purchased over ten years ago. Mine isn't the same model number but probably very close in design. I remember when I received mine, it was perfect right out of the crate. I can't imagine how many hours it has on it now but it's still a good machine and has served me well.

Brad Townsend
11-15-2005, 5:04 PM
Congrats! You will like it a lot. I have a 586 and have assembled it twice (it's a long story, but with a happy ending) so I have experience with this.

1. If possible, when you assemble the base and do the wiring (before actually setting the heavy iron on top) put the base up on a table to work on this. It's a lot easier to do this way than laying on your back on the floor.

2. You need at least three hands to align the motor and tighten down the mounting bolts. If you are configured with only two hands, like the rest of us, this will be a problem. If you have a small bottle jack, you can use it, along with a piece or two of scrap wood to support the motor where you want it while tightening down the bolts.

Good luck!

Keith Foster
11-15-2005, 5:25 PM
Mine was dead on right out of the crate. Did not have anyone around to tell me to use a bench before I got "down and dirty" laying on the floor - so I'll have to pass on those comments. :cool:

I have a bit of a different take on the motor issue though. It seems I may be the only one who didn't have issues with getting the belts on. I just loosened the bolts, pushed up on the motor, set the belts on the motor pulleys and let the weight of the motor do the rest. Of course this was all while laying on my back on the garage floor, so don't go by me... :)

Just kidding of course. I have no idea why mine set so easily. Just luck of the draw I guess. Your mileage may vary...

John Kordes
11-15-2005, 6:00 PM
Ken and John and everyone - thanks for the welcome

Chris, Downloaded the manual, printed it prior to the purchase to get a feel for what I was getting into. This was one of the reasons I had a comfort level with purchasing this large of a machine online.

Keith, Glad to know this will probably last.......

Keith Foster and Brad, This was what I was looking for. useful little tidbits that I can look out for prior to having to assemble it twice (Brad:D ) or thrice :eek: .

I will have a second set of hands, however, that still leaves only three and a half. Blew out my left arm last summer and it is still not back 100%. Plus I dont like to push it too hard, as the second surgery(if I tear the bicep again), I will lose more that just 3-5% extension.

Thanks.

John

Allen Grimes
11-15-2005, 8:15 PM
Hey, guys, Im going to be buying this jointer soon too, so I am curious how many crates does it come in and how big are they? Thanks in advance

Bill Fellmy
11-15-2005, 8:51 PM
John,

Welcome to the Creek. The folks here are most knowledgeable, helpful, and present in a non-threatening way. After 2 short months of use, I am very pleased with the performance of the G0586.

Second what Brad said about 3 hands but a 12mm socket and a 12mm box end wrench will make the motor adjustment no big deal. I had my 7 yr old daughter help me.

Allen, see my post "New Grizzly in the House" (9-19-05) for info about the crate and cardboard box.

Bill

John Russell
11-15-2005, 10:44 PM
I recently bought and took delivery of the GO586 -- it came via FedEx Freight. Some minor box damage, but everything inside was fine.

I am not the mechanical type, so I approached putting it together with some anxiety. It was pretty straight forward except for some parts of the fence and the electric connection. The location of the ground wire terminal is a pain.

I personally found the manual lacking, especially for the fence adjustments. I did download a Jet manual for a similar jointer fence and it was much more thorough. I had some issues with the fence dragging on the table top and scratching it, but I found answers after some online questions on another forum. The mobile base that is sold with the jointer does not fit as snuggly as i would like, but someday i will modify it with a hacksaw.

My wife has joined 10 or so boards of birdseye maple for a table she is making and the jointer is working fine. The performance makes up for some of the minor issues I had with the machine.

Good luck

Keith Foster
11-15-2005, 10:49 PM
Here's the crate and box. Hope this helps. They are heavy, but not all that unrully. Just be very careful when lifting. Ignore the two boxes in the background. Those are the Cyclone crates.

http://www.951motorsports.com/G0586Crate.jpg