PDA

View Full Version : Douglas fir lumber source

paul hyde
04-12-2018, 10:09 AM
Hello,

Does anyone know of a source for Douglas Fir lumber(near Michigan, if possible). I'm looking for mainly plain sawn ,as I'm going to be installing interior "Craftsman" style trim in a new home. Thanks!

Jamie Buxton
04-12-2018, 11:11 AM
You probably know this, but there are two classes of doug fir in the marketplace. There's construction lumber, which is not what you want. It is from young trees, is full of knots, and is often sold completely undried. Stuff sold for interior trim is completely different. It is kiln dried to 9% EMC or so, so it won't shrink and crack after you install it. It has few defects -- knots, cracks, etc. In my area, construction doug fir costs a buck a board foot, and trim-quality doug fir costs eight bucks a board foot or so. Yes, trim-quality doug fir costs more than common hardwoods.

Jim Becker
04-12-2018, 11:13 AM
I order D-fir from my friendly, locally owned, full service lumber yard/home center's "specialty woods" division that sells quality KD lumber in many species. I've never asked about plain sawn, but have purchased quite a bit of VG D-fir for some recent projects for a client. Really nice stuff to work with!

paul hyde
04-12-2018, 11:51 AM
Thanks for the replies guys!

Earl McLain
04-12-2018, 1:55 PM
You might try Johnson's Workbench in Charlotte, MI (and South Bend, IN depending on where you are in MI--that is a BIG state!!) Web site is theworkbench.com Little over $10/bf for VG/vertical grain, but under $8 at 100 bf+ in purchase. Minimal upcharge for S4S if you want to save a little time & energy. "MG" is about 40% less, but I don't know what the M stands for--other than 40% less nice!!
earl

Brian Holcombe
04-12-2018, 1:56 PM
Boro sawmill in NJ is a commercial supplier of it. VG fir pricing is not for the faint of heart. I buy it and put it aside whenever possible.

Jim Becker
04-12-2018, 5:24 PM
Brian, I get the 8/4 6" VG D-Fir from Wehrungs Specialty Woods for $7.50-$7.75 a board foot which was lower than I thought it would be.

Brian Holcombe
04-12-2018, 5:53 PM
Thanks Jim, that is an excellent price!

Jim Becker
04-12-2018, 7:26 PM
Yes, I was pleased. That's not too far for you to get to, either...Ottsville PA on Rt 611. Only slightly farther than me going to Willard Brothers in your direction. Just be aware they don't stock it...I had to order, but had it in one and two days for each order, respectively.

Mac McQuinn
04-12-2018, 8:54 PM
Years ago I use to buy my Doug Fir D-select from Webbers in Vassar, MI, a really premium product although I believe they may have gone out of business or were bought out. Perhaps Sequin Lumber in Bay City would be able to help, I've always been happy with their product.
Good luck,
Mac

Bob Cooper
04-12-2018, 10:44 PM
How does this Doug fir compare to that used for timber frame homes? I’ve got some big 12x12 beams of Doug fir. Would it ever make sense to buy a big beam and resaw it?

Brian Holcombe
04-12-2018, 10:51 PM
Thanks again, Jim!

Brian Holcombe
04-12-2018, 10:54 PM
How does this Doug fir compare to that used for timber frame homes? I’ve got some big 12x12 beams of Doug fir. Would it ever make sense to buy a big beam and resaw it?

Id probably leave them full sized, they’re likely boxed heart (pith runs down the center of the beam). If not they may be worthwhile but rift sawn or quarter sawn bows when you cut it.

In any case, those are potentially valuable to a timber framer.

Marc Jeske
04-13-2018, 1:52 AM
Just be aware that just cause wood is called "KD" you still don't know if it is about 19% ( as most KD "Construction" wood is) or down to the 8-12% (depending on species) for interior use.

Marc

lowell holmes
04-13-2018, 10:36 AM
I will normally go to a full service lumber yard, but the box stores carry pretty nice looking fir if you just need a few sticks.

Unfortunately, the lumber yard I normally visit is just a shadow of it's former self.

Mac McQuinn
04-13-2018, 12:01 PM
I've never seen Douglas-Fir at a big block store, while they do typically carry Fir, Douglas-Fir isn't the same and not a true Fir, being of it's own genus.
I agree, a lot of the old school lumber yards are either gone or nothing like they were, I used to love to go to these places as the smell was
great and the old guys running things were pleasant and willing to teach you lot's of things about machining wood, sorely missed.
Mac

I will normally go to a full service lumber yard, but the box stores carry pretty nice looking fir if you just need a few sticks.

Unfortunately, the lumber yard I normally visit is just a shadow of it's former self.

Earl McLain
04-13-2018, 1:56 PM
I've never seen Douglas-Fir at a big block store, while they do typically carry Fir, Douglas-Fir isn't the same and not a true Fir, being of it's own genus.
I agree, a lot of the old school lumber yards are either gone or nothing like they were, I used to love to go to these places as the smell was
great and the old guys running things were pleasant and willing to teach you lot's of things about machining wood, sorely missed.
Mac

Agreed. Our local lumber yard stocks Douglas Fir in 2 x 12 dimensional (rest of the dimensional is SPF), but it is definitely construction grade--and usually very wet. If I want woodworking Douglas Fir, Johnson's is the closest. And there is no comparison to the 2 x 12's!!
earl

John C Bush
04-13-2018, 3:13 PM
Don't mean to rub it in-- but here in the PNW Doug fir is a common firewood-- lots of residential developement and many big trees available but not feasible to transport to the sawmill. I visited a wood reclaimer in Edison-Bow Wa.--Duluth Hardwoods IIRC and they were resawing a massive (18"+ X 24"+ X 30+)old growth VG fir beam from a late 1800's downtown warehouse and it was beautiful stuff. It was for a local well known richest man in the world's interior trim and even back them it was expensive stuff. Hope it didn't break their budget!! We can get VG Doug fir at the quality lumber yards but it is still spendy here too. I have a buddy with a Woodmizer so I can get it
usually for free. Rub rub.

Brandon Speaks
04-14-2018, 3:00 AM
15 years ago I ran the woodmizer for a mill that reclaimed old df from old building demos and made flooring from it. It was great stuff but cost a premium even back then. My understanding is that stuff is even much more expensive now. It was night and day difference from the df you get at the home center.

What I would not give for all the piles of offcuts and scrap we burned behind that shop back then .... :(

lowell holmes
04-14-2018, 10:53 AM
I stand corrected, the fir that I have is not Douglas fir. Now I will have to go on a search in my area to see if I can find some. I probably can't, but there are to yards I will check and see.

There is a yard that sells lumber to the shrimp boat owners for repairs If any one has it, they will. It has been a long time since I visited that store. It will be fun going over there in Sea Brook, Texas to visit.

Mel Fulks
04-14-2018, 10:57 AM
There are vendors that that will fill an order for Douglas fir with "hem-fir" (hemlock).

Steve Rozmiarek
04-14-2018, 11:57 AM
I think most vintage millwork that is called douglas fir, is actually southern yellow pine. I'm guilty of it myself. Would love to fine a good source for SYP...

Mike Monroe
04-15-2018, 1:04 AM
The floor joists in my house are old growth straight grain DF. They were formally roof rafters in a canning factory build around 1908. I had a few extra of the 2x10's and the wood worked well in some home furniture projects. Can't get that kind of wood anymore.