PDA

View Full Version : What do these items all have in common??

Rick Potter
04-12-2018, 1:56 AM
Peachtree Woodworking has some great special sales. I just opened my newest box of goodies, and found that all these items had something in common.

A Kreg DVD on trim carpentry with pocket holes.

A Kreg rotary inline clamp for bench dog holes.

Heavy duty steel leg levelers.

A cast iron bench dog hold down ( the old tap in type).

The commonality? Each of these items had an applied sticker which stated.............

WARNING: This product may contain chemicals known to the State of California
to cause cancer and birth defects or other reproductive harm.

Damn. I was just ready to start chewing my new cast iron hold down.

Sometimes I wonder..

David Bassett
04-12-2018, 2:42 AM
... an applied sticker which stated.............

to cause cancer and birth defects or other reproductive harm. ...

Unintended consequences. Stupid law basically says there's a penalty for not labeling something that can cause cancer, but no penalty for labeling something gratuitously. Hence the warnings on building entrances, etc., just to be safe.

I gotta' admit some of the small businesses that put stickers on literally everything seem to be mocking us.

John K Jordan
04-12-2018, 6:24 AM
to cause cancer and birth defects or other reproductive harm.

You could move to Tennessee. None of those things are known to cause cancer here.

Frederick Skelly
04-12-2018, 6:48 AM
Off topic: Rick, will you please let us know what you think of those inline clamps after you've used them a few times?
Thanks,
Fred

Tom Stenzel
04-12-2018, 7:40 AM
It's not new. I remember a few decades ago a friend of mine had small vial of deuterium depleted water- with a large sticker "IN CASE OF CONTACT WASH IMMEDIATELY". My friend asked, with what?

It was the same thing for a small piece of ultra pure copper. Everything was plastered with warning stickers. He said that in the lab the university chemistry students just stopped paying attention to them. How did they handle the real dangerous stuff? You don't want to know.

What makes the latest kerfluffle in California about labeling coffee as causing cancer really silly is that some water treatment processes leave flocculation chemicals. When heated these chemicals "ARE KNOWN IN THE STATE OF CALIFORNIA TO CAUSE CANCER". But the customers there don't have a label on their water taps. Yet.

-Tom

Alan Rutherford
04-12-2018, 7:51 AM
If they'd come from Harbor Freight it would have been 4 pages of fine print warning you to wear safety glasses before using.

Bill Orbine
04-12-2018, 8:55 AM
They need to put that sticker on the maps of California and every "Welcome to California" billboards.

Ole Anderson
04-12-2018, 10:16 AM
Brings back the old "crying wolf" message. Pretty soon no one pays attention because there is no differentiation of risk level. Lala land. Let them secede.

Bert Kemp
04-12-2018, 10:57 AM
Warning You are entering California
It has been know to be hazardous to you health.

John C Cox
04-12-2018, 11:45 AM
My complaint is that they don't differentiate between the sort of exposure will lead to bad effects and those which will not... As such - it doesn't actually function as an actual warning.. Aka - HOW does this become bad for you and what do you need to do for protection... As such - it is simply a statement - not an actual "warning"....

So for example...

I do understand that my Toaster oven contains toxic levels of nickel, chromium, and copper within it - which if I ingested that amount of oxides of nickel, hexavalent chrome, and copper oxides - I would likely die... But we don't eat toaster ovens.... We eat toast - which is not full of electrical wire or ni-chrome heating elements...

Listening to music on CD's is not likely to actually expose you to any levels of "bad stuff" where burning them and inhaling fumes certainly will....

Using laminated particleboard shelves to store books will not expose you to anything harmful... But once again - burning it certainly will...

James Waldron
04-12-2018, 12:16 PM
[snip]
Lala land. Let them secede.

Hold it, we may need the Pacific ports. Maybe if coastal CA falls into the ocean, we can open new ports and live without the coastal dudes and dudettes.

John Stankus
04-12-2018, 12:29 PM
It's not new. I remember a few decades ago a friend of mine had small vial of deuterium depleted water- with a large sticker "IN CASE OF CONTACT WASH IMMEDIATELY". My friend asked, with what?

It was the same thing for a small piece of ultra pure copper. Everything was plastered with warning stickers. He said that in the lab the university chemistry students just stopped paying attention to them. How did they handle the real dangerous stuff? You don't want to know.

What makes the latest kerfluffle in California about labeling coffee as causing cancer really silly is that some water treatment processes leave flocculation chemicals. When heated these chemicals "ARE KNOWN IN THE STATE OF CALIFORNIA TO CAUSE CANCER". But the customers there don't have a label on their water taps. Yet.

-Tom

My favorite from being a chemist for a long time, is the warning label on purified sand. The amount of personal protective equipment you need would mean you couldn't get anywhere near a beach.
Here is a link to the MSDS for Sand, Washed and Dried
http://www.atmos.umd.edu/~russ/MSDS/sand.htm

Bill Carey
04-12-2018, 12:56 PM
My favorite from being a chemist for a long time, is the warning label on purified sand. The amount of personal protective equipment you need would mean you couldn't get anywhere near a beach.
Here is a link to the MSDS for Sand, Washed and Dried
http://www.atmos.umd.edu/~russ/MSDS/sand.htm

LMFAO - the new CA sand protective swim suit

Jim Koepke
04-12-2018, 2:07 PM
If the label isn't there and someone gets sick or dies for any reason, then the lawyers have all the fun.

Stick on a label and take work away from a lawyer.

Take your pick... more silly labels or more lawyers. :eek:

jtk

Bill Dufour
04-12-2018, 3:03 PM
Berkeley Ca does have signs by the side of the road "This is a nuclear free zone"
Bill D.

David Bassett
04-12-2018, 3:14 PM
Berkeley Ca does have signs by the side of the road "This is a nuclear free zone"
Bill D.

It is explicitly illegal to have nuclear (weapon or power, IIRC) within Berkeley the city. Sorta' pointless due to the reactor & other nuclear material on the campus and more up the hill at LBL.

Jim Koepke
04-12-2018, 5:58 PM
It is explicitly illegal to have nuclear (weapon or power, IIRC) within Berkeley the city. Sorta' pointless due to the reactor & other nuclear material on the campus and more up the hill at LBL.

Just proves the old rule of there being an exception to every rule.

jtk

Marshall Harrison
04-12-2018, 7:11 PM
I replied to this thread earlier today and it appears to have been deleted. I guess I went a little overboard in expressing my views.

If any of you read my post then you have my apology for crossing the line. I will be stiving to be more careful in teh future.

Thanks you.

Andrew Hughes
04-13-2018, 1:02 AM
I shouldn't have read is thread now my eyes have cancor germs.:eek:

James Waldron
04-13-2018, 1:22 PM
If the label isn't there and someone gets sick or dies for any reason, then the lawyers have all the fun.

Stick on a label and take work away from a lawyer.

Take your pick... more silly labels or more lawyers. :eek:

jtk

Just remember, Jim: when Shakespeare wrote about "The first thing we do is kill all the lawyers" it was in the middle a plot to overthrow the government. You can look it up.

Careful what you wish for.

Rick Potter
04-13-2018, 1:54 PM
For FS,

A mini review of the Kreg Inline Clamps, plus a bonus review of the Rockler inline track clamps.

Note that both these clamps are designed to put side pressure against your work piece, NOT to hold it down tightly. I bought them to hold work while routing, like signs or perhaps some inlay and carving flat work.

The Kreg clamps are just a turn handle and extending pad, with all plastic parts. I put two bench dogs in the bench, and clamped a 4" wide X 20" long 1x4 with two Kreg clamps directly opposite the dogs. I was very surprised just how much power they had. They held very securely, and I could not wiggle the board at all. The design has a slight slope to it, which holds without tending to raise the board under pressure. The pressure pad sits below 3/4" and gives you room to use a router.

The Rockler clamp was a self adjusting style, like some other type clamps, and heavier duty, so it was tighter, but had two problems. First, the pressure pads are thicker than 3/4", and get in the way of some work. Second, if you put much pressure against the side of the 1x4, it tends to lift the edge. I tried to tap it down, but it came right back up.

I should note that the Rockler clamp is made to fit into T-track, and I have installed a screw in peg on the bottom, so I can also use it in bench dog holes. The movement I mentioned above may be due to the aluminum peg I added, but it also came from Rockler and was meant to be used with the clamp. Soo..I again went out to the shop to try it by inserting it in t-track, but I did not have any it would fit in. My track (Kreg) was too thick to take the 3/4" t-bolt it came with, and a 1" bottomed out.

The Kreg clamp is designed to only go into dog holes. It will serve my purposes well. And...I got them at half price, on sale.

Andrew Joiner
04-13-2018, 2:04 PM
For FS,
A mini review of the Kreg Inline Clamps, plus a bonus review of the Rockler inline track clamps.

Thanks For the reviews Rick.
Did any of the items tested give you cancer:cool:?