PDA

View Full Version : Recommendations for paint insides of cabinets , Fast Drying

David Ruhland
04-11-2018, 7:50 AM
What would you experienced folks recommend for the inside of cabinets? I was spraying some BIN primer to prepare for a paint topcoat and it got me to thinking, is there something that goes on like BIN and dries just as fast? Would like a"white" interior.

Rob Young
04-11-2018, 1:52 PM
What would you experienced folks recommend for the inside of cabinets? I was spraying some BIN primer to prepare for a paint topcoat and it got me to thinking, is there something that goes on like BIN and dries just as fast? Would like a"white" interior.

How about just topcoating the BIN with your clearcoat.

David Ruhland
04-11-2018, 2:05 PM
That would be fantastic! There I go over thinking the easy stuff again

Rob Young
04-12-2018, 11:42 AM
A good paint store can put a little tint into the BIN primer if you don't want the blazing white.

David Ruhland
04-12-2018, 2:11 PM
A good paint store can put a little tint into the BIN primer if you don't want the blazing white.

Talked to my guys at the BM paint store..They told me they DONT THINK they can tint the "shellac" base BIN? Great idea though!

John TenEyck
04-12-2018, 2:26 PM
Talked to my guys at the BM paint store..They told me they DONT THINK they can tint the "shellac" base BIN? Great idea though!

Don't they have UTC's? If not, you can buy them from Homestead Finishing and other places and tint it yourself.

John

David Ruhland
04-12-2018, 4:38 PM
They do not! I asked the manager if it has ever been discussed with owner...he says yes.... so perhaps someday...

Don't they have UTC's? If not, you can buy them from Homestead Finishing and other places and tint it yourself.

John

Doug Hepler
04-12-2018, 11:02 PM
UTC's are probably available at a big box store. You can order trans-tint from lots of WW supply houses. Shellac is almost always my choice to finish the interior of a cabinet.

Doug

David Ruhland
04-13-2018, 6:41 AM
UTC's are probably available at a big box store. You can order trans-tint from lots of WW supply houses. Shellac is almost always my choice to finish the interior of a cabinet.

Doug

Okay gang! now you have piqued my interest to take a "dive " into the UTC world, any resources to somewhat figure out how to tone a color from a white? I assume if i want a light gray i would add black, but what if i want an "antique white"? Oh this website is such a great source of information for us newbies!

John TenEyck
04-13-2018, 2:06 PM
Okay gang! now you have piqued my interest to take a "dive " into the UTC world, any resources to somewhat figure out how to tone a color from a white? I assume if i want a light gray i would add black, but what if i want an "antique white"? Oh this website is such a great source of information for us newbies!

Saying antique white is no more descriptive than saying white. Just look at BM's website. They have three Antique Whites. Anyway, if you want to tone your own paint get yourself a color wheel and see how it works. Then buy the UTC's you need to shift the white to the color you need. From there, it's trial and error, and keeping good notes. Keep in mind that the color will look different depending upon what the substrate is you put it on, so use that substrate for your samples, and prep. it exactly as you would when you build it. And if you plan on topcoating it that will shift the color and/or shade, too.

John

David Ruhland
04-13-2018, 6:23 PM
Saying antique white is no more descriptive than saying white. Just look at BM's website. They have three Antique Whites. Anyway, if you want to tone your own paint get yourself a color wheel and see how it works. Then buy the UTC's you need to shift the white to the color you need. From there, it's trial and error, and keeping good notes. Keep in mind that the color will look different depending upon what the substrate is you put it on, so use that substrate for your samples, and prep. it exactly as you would when you build it. And if you plan on topcoating it that will shift the color and/or shade, too.

John

Thanks John!

Doug Hepler
04-13-2018, 6:33 PM
David,

I agree with John that antique white does cover a variety of hues, but a bit of Tints-All burnt umber should get you there. I assume that you are just looking for off-white rather than a specific color. Otherwise, I agree that you should get a color wheel.

Doug

David Ruhland
04-14-2018, 3:17 PM
That is correct Doug... Just a lil off white... Thanks!