PDA

View Full Version : Exposed sides of particle board cabinets

Stephen Tashiro
04-10-2018, 9:33 PM
The in-stock kitchen cabinets at the local big box stores have non-particle board fronts and particle board sides. Is there a good way to modify such a cabinet whose side is exposed so that something better than the thin finish on the particle board is showing? For example, a cabinet at the end of a run of cabinets has a side showing, but the (outside) sides of the cabinets in the middle of the run don't show and don't need protection.

I'm tempted just to put a 3/4 inch board over the exposed side. In a kitchen, there could be hooks to hang utensils on the board or small shelves on it.

Lee Schierer
04-10-2018, 10:25 PM
They should offer a finished panel for the cabinet ends. You might want to consider higher quality cabinets. We ordered our Kraftmaid cabinets from a big box store and received them in less than 2 weeks and got much better quality than the stuff that was on the shelf. Ours have solid wood panels, plywood cabinet sides and backs, maple drawer boxes with dovetails, and adjustable shelves.

andy bessette
04-10-2018, 10:29 PM
Rather than trying to match the finish of the rest of the cabinet, how about applying something useful, like a marker board or cork note board?

Ole Anderson
04-10-2018, 11:20 PM
When redoing my kitchen and reusing the old HD base cabinets with new shop made doors, I built a raised panel end cap in two places. On the uppers where I built new boxes, I just went with 3/4" Hickory plywood.

Jim Becker
04-11-2018, 9:03 AM
The normal method would be to install a finished panel on an end unit as others have already stated.

Peter Kelly
04-11-2018, 9:38 AM
Might also ask if you could order a door from the manufacturer to cover the exposed end.

Stephen Tashiro
04-11-2018, 11:06 AM
The normal method would be to install a finished panel on an end unit as others have already stated.

Not that the world needs to be logical, but why do big box store in-stock cabinets have a faux wood veneer finish on their particle board sides? Wouldn't it be simpler to leave the sides unfinished and use a finish panel only over the sides that are exposed?

glenn bradley
04-11-2018, 11:12 AM

+1 the place you buy them should have finish-matched panels available.

Lee Schierer
04-11-2018, 11:46 AM
Not that the world needs to be logical, but why do big box store in-stock cabinets have a faux wood veneer finish on their particle board sides? Wouldn't it be simpler to leave the sides unfinished and use a finish panel only over the sides that are exposed?

They cater to their clients. If you want cheap cabinets right now you can walk in and buy off the shelf, which is what many landlords do for rental units. If you want better quality, you order them.

Larry Edgerton
04-11-2018, 1:31 PM
Park it behind your truck and drive over it?:D

Robert Engel
04-11-2018, 1:32 PM
Stephen,

I usually cover ends with what ever the door is made of, usually a raised panel, or you can use the same material and just make a big panel.

Jim Becker
04-11-2018, 5:26 PM
The answer to that is simple...because some DIYers don't really know the difference or care...and big box stores are focused on "easy".