PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a book?

JP McKee
11-15-2005, 12:32 PM
I dont know if one exists or not, but maybe someone here can steer me in the right direction.

I am looking for a book on historical architecture, but of all the historical architecture books Ive seen, Ive never run across one that deals with the framing of buildings in much detail. It seems that most books are only about the facade and not the guts.

I have timberframing books and books on modern framing, but there was a transitional time between the two that was a combination between timber framing and balloon framing and assorted unorthodox "freestyle" . Im not looking for the "high style" stuff, just the way regular folks built their houses.

Thanks, John

Ken Fitzgerald
11-15-2005, 12:44 PM
JP......you might try putting this over on the design forum too! Mark Singer the moderator there is an architect and so is Paul Cresti. They might be able to answer your question. Good luck!

Dave Anderson NH
11-15-2005, 3:55 PM
I don't know what the modern editions show, but older versions of Architectural Graphic Standards is a great resource and might be available at your local library.

Wes Harper
11-15-2005, 9:14 PM
What time frame are you looking for?

One aspect that is not talked about much is the fact that most books focused on the high end residential construction. I guess the publishers of the day didn't see much of a market in documenting the plight of the common man.

James Mittlefehldt
11-17-2005, 8:41 AM
I have in my possession a textbook, I assume, called "The Practical Carpenter And Joiner" and under the title on the title page is the following,
"A COMPLETE GUIDE TO EVERY BRANCH OF ALL TRADES FOR ALL THOSE ENGAGED IN THE CRAFTS OF CARPENTRY AND JOINERY.

Edited by N. W. Kay F.B.C.C., F.R.S.A

reprinted by Odhams Press Limited, Long Acre, London 1946

I have not had a chance to go through it in detail but I bought it for a couple of dollars at a flea market. It is chuck full of stuff like how to draw bore, make window sashes or doors on site, there is much on hand tools, and it is new enough it deals with steel beams, concrete, and plywood. If you could find it on the imfamous auction site it might be of help. It has all manner of stuff on fitting interior panels and mouldings, roofing and yes framing.

Along the same vein if you could find some early twentieth century textbooks they would no doubt cover all manner of framing even the most obscure. Perhaps Lee Valley have some they may be reprinting.